PDA

View Full Version : 30R Blaser - boolit and powder?

TerryH
09-14-2012, 09:20 AM
Gents,

Would like some thoughts or ideas here please?

I've a double rifle coming in 30R blaser and will be looking to use it with a cast bullets.

Info on the case dimensions etc. and a comparison photo to a 30-06 can be found here for reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.30_R_Blaser#Cartridge_dimensions

What would be a good bullet in the 170-190g wt range to start with?

What powder(s) would be a good starting place to use in a long case of this nature, do not wish to go for fillers if at all possible? I'm not averse to using a GC as MV's up around 2000 fps would be 'nice'.

Thanks Terry

Moonie
09-14-2012, 11:26 AM
I'm partial to heavier boolits personally, especially with more case volume than a 30-06. The real question is what are you going to be using this rifle for?

Also, with a double you will need to build a load that will regulate with the sights.

runfiverun
09-14-2012, 12:38 PM
so what i gather it has a 1-12 twist bbl and about 5-7% more case capacity than a 30-06.
i would just use 30-06 data to begin with and work from that.
the 12 twist should easily allow you to get 2000 fps and more likely 2200 fps.
something like the rcbs 180 fngc waterdropped 1/3/96 alloy would fit the bill nicely.
you do have a short neck to consider however [and i don't know about the throat dimensions] so a boolit more suited to a 308 [7.62x51] might be more in order.

TerryH
09-14-2012, 02:38 PM
Gents,

OK 30-06 for starting points.

The rifle will wear a scope so regulation will be more to get the two barrels printing in an acceptable group.

Primary use will be 'plinking' on short ranges, dependant on final performance as to other uses.

I'll have a look at the RCBS bullet you indicated but am assuming Seaco and Lyman equivalents are acceptable? I have looked at the Accurate Molds site (unfamiliar to me) who seem to offer a good range of bullet options?

Brgds Terry

runfiverun
09-14-2012, 04:19 PM
yeah bout everyone makes a decent design.
the 30 cal designs are so varied you can get them from 100 to 200 grs and in about 100 different designs.
remember your neck limitations and match the nose shape to the throat taper as closely as possible.
use as much bearing length to fill anything full groove diameter as possible.
the gas check protruding below the neck is okay but i don't like to go much deeper than that.
look over the 150-165-180 area for good designs to do what you want.
the ones with flat noses can be surprisingly accurate at distances out to 200 yds and are very effective for hunting too.