PDA

View Full Version : First casting.

trying2learn
09-13-2012, 08:47 PM
Well I finally got to make my first home grown boolits. Made about 20 in about 30 minutes as I was going at a steady repeatable pace. First thing I noticed is I have to remake my ignots before I attempt more. I thought I had them fairly clean and I was wrong. Kept getting more and more drose on the top. I just kept skimming it off and working along. It was fun to start this. I can see me really getting into this part of reloading. Second was that when it is all a even temp then the lead will flow a lot easier and not freeze up immediately from coming out of the heat. But here is my pics from the ten or so good ones that were not wrinkled and or some way another not acceptable. I was really impressed that the lee mold dropped them at .452 or writhing .001 1/2 either way.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

randyrat
09-13-2012, 10:07 PM
Looks good. don't get too excited about redoing your ingots just yet.

After your ingots are melted using a wooden stick scrape the sides and bottom of the pot. SLOWLY dip the wooden stick in first to get the moisture out of the wood. then scoop the poop out.

I have done it this way for a long time and never plug the pot pour spout this way.

runfiverun
09-13-2012, 10:27 PM
the dross is usually just oxidized alloy if you keep skimming it off it will just reform as more alloy is exposed to the oxygen.
if you are getting gunk, black stuff,etc thats when you really need to flux the alloy to clean it.
fluxing properly will also return those oxides back into the alloy.

Cherokee
09-13-2012, 10:37 PM
Congrats on your first go !! Practice, and fluxing as mentioned above.

trying2learn
09-13-2012, 10:42 PM
Ok well I got the pot I have to ladle from. No bottom pour spout. Not yet anyways. I was under the impression that it was bad stuff on top. If I let it be it formed into clumps. That's why I thought I needed to redo them.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2