PDA

View Full Version : .357 Max success!

selmerfan
09-13-2012, 05:58 PM
I'd take a hiatus from the .357 max for a couple of years, traded out the barrel, kept my molds, and now have another 12" Encore barrel that I traded into. I was somewhat disappointed from the get go, as the barrel appears to have a forcing cone cut rather than a true throat like a rifle, but it doesn't swage them undersize by any means. But still, I was a little leary of how accuracy would go, even though it's built on a Shilen blank.
I got the molds going again last week, Lyman 358627 6 cavity GB copy and a 6 cavity RD 359-190-RF. I weight sorted a batch of a couple hundred boolits from each mold. Sized to .359" and lubed with Lotak and hit the bench. I came up with three loads today at the range, two with the Lyman at 1750 fps with two different powders and one with the RD at 1900 fps that grouped 1" or less at 50 yds and have ES of less than 30 fps. I'm pleased as punch and had forgotten how much fun shooting this chambering is! Now to have a MN whitetail within 150 yds that I can put in my freezer in 6 weeks!

Artful
09-13-2012, 07:08 PM
Congrat's that was quick work!