PDA

View Full Version : I'm shut down

Jim
09-13-2012, 02:45 PM
I decided to shut down my little range mining thing. The monster of internal 'politics' raised his ugly head and things went south in a blink. Honest to God, there's always at least one that's got to stir up some kinda' stink. This isn't something I depend on, so I just decided 'enough is enough'.

Really, I think this was divine intervention. There's more than just this incident to make me think that. Winter is comin' and I had reservations about leaving Janet up in them mountains by herself. On the very last batch of jackets I had to wash, about half way through, the smoke leaked out of the motor on the washer. Coincidence? Maybe. Maybe not.

It's all good, though. There's some stuff that needs to get done before snow flies, 'coon season opens in a month and I really want to get back in the woods with my buddy and the dogs and I'd kinda' like to catch up with some friends I haven't had time to see.

I'm ready to get back to Floyd and the life I was livin' before I started this goose chase. Besides, since Janet's got her own rifle now, I need to build a shootin' table so we can shoot together.

One upside of this, though, is I picked up a few rifles while I was here. So, I'm headin' home with some new toys, right? Anybody can find fault. I like to concentrate on the good parts.

Later, guys. I gotta' start packin'! [smilie=w:

Tom Ruley
09-13-2012, 03:18 PM
I really enjoy your posts and think you're right so go have fun. But now for the important question, What gadgets have you added to the Cricket? Cup Holder? Roof rack? Four wheel drive?( I really enjoy the Photos)

Olevern
09-13-2012, 03:19 PM
Time to play with them new toys, Jim. Be careful on the road, ya hear?

Hope you got plenty of lead set aside for yourself from your time down there.

Talk to you soon.

vern

firefly1957
09-13-2012, 06:23 PM
Enjoy

gbrown
09-13-2012, 08:13 PM
Sometimes, you just gotta sit back and live life like tomorrow was the last. Enjoy yourself and don't fret about what mightta been. Slow down and see what you been missin'. It's all good, as you say!

Crawdaddy
09-13-2012, 09:19 PM
Sorry to hear things went south. Everything happens for a reason. Enjoy your time off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

linotype
09-13-2012, 09:44 PM
Sometimes there are subtle hints and suggestions about what to do in our lives.
A wise person notices and acts upon them.

jonas302
09-14-2012, 10:37 PM
Glad I was able to get some of your fine lead looking forward to more hunting and shooting stories

Jim
09-15-2012, 05:03 AM
'Coon season is only a month out. Film at eleven.

smokeywolf
09-15-2012, 05:45 AM
Jim, you get back to that little lady of yours and build that shootin table. Oh, and now that there's a chill in the air, don't forget to have about 3 fingers of that sippin whiskey she bought for ya.

smokeywolf

MBTcustom
09-15-2012, 06:36 AM
Yeah, what smoky said X2.

09-15-2012, 07:00 AM
The woman, the whiskey, the guns, coon huntin, what made you want to go mining in the first place. Good luck in whatever you do.

Jim
09-15-2012, 07:06 AM
The woman, the whiskey, the guns, coon huntin, what made you want to go mining in the first place. Good luck in whatever you do.

I dunno, lure of adventure and riches?

At any rate, I was able to convert a whole bunch of fired bullets to just a breath over 8,000 lbs. of some fairly decent lead. I reckon I could say I did accomplish somethin'.

fishnbob
09-15-2012, 07:07 AM
Jim, ya really need to be back in Floyd county this time of year. With fall coming, leaves turning, there ain't no prettier place in Virginia. All those fall festivals and such, git on home.

Bob

sav300
09-15-2012, 07:08 AM
Jim.that you did!

WILCO
09-15-2012, 12:26 PM
At any rate, I was able to convert a whole bunch of fired bullets to just a breath over 8,000 lbs. of some fairly decent lead. I reckon I could say I did accomplish somethin'.

Did you cover your costs Jim, or are you in the hole?

Jim
09-15-2012, 02:10 PM
I just barely broke even, Wilco. Trust me, minin' for range scrap as a job ain't what it appears to be. But, hey, we learn from our mistakes, don't we?

btroj
09-15-2012, 08:20 PM
Common Jim, we all know that was a get rich scam if there ever was!

Makes me glad I can mine scrap with jus my fingers and get plenty to keep me in lead for a few years. Pickup up close to 500 pounds a year by hand is good enough for me.

Glad you learned from the experience and didn't lose your shirt.

Enjoy home!

09-16-2012, 09:32 AM
[QUOTE=Jim;1846818][B]I dunno, lure of adventure and riches?

Ida dun the same thing

Jim
09-16-2012, 04:26 PM
Dorothy was right. "There's no place like home."

Y'all have no clue how glad I am to be back in my own house with my wife and my dog.

bowfin
09-16-2012, 04:58 PM
Glad it didn't cost you anything.

Some people just cannot stand to see other people fall into a good thing. That's when they start bandying about the idea of "fairness" or "it isn't right". Most don't subscribe to the moral of the story about the Little Red Hen. The "fairness" argument usually rears its ugly head after all the brain work or physical labor has been accomplished.

However, you won't be lying on your death bed and saying, "I sure wish I would have spent more time mining lead instead of coon hunting."

Jim
09-16-2012, 05:20 PM
Glad it didn't cost you anything.

Some people just cannot stand to see other people fall into a good thing. That's when they start bandying about the idea of "fairness" or "it isn't right". Most don't subscribe to the moral of the story about the Little Red Hen. The "fairness" argument usually rears its ugly head after all the brain work or physical labor has been accomplished.

However, you won't be lying on your death bed and saying, "I sure wish I would have spent more time mining lead instead of coon hunting."

I didn't go under financially, but I paid dearly in other respects.

As for your last statement, you got that right, brother!

I'm goin' in to town tomorrow and get my small game licence from the court house.

WILCO
09-16-2012, 09:03 PM
hey, we learn from our mistakes, don't we?

Some folks do and some folks spend a lifetime of repeats. When I was 39 years old, it all became crystal clear. :holysheep

stubshaft
09-16-2012, 10:43 PM
You need to get a couple of more Tender barrels to put that lead through pard!

Just stirring the pot...