PDA

View Full Version : Binoculars...

BCB
05-22-2007, 06:01 PM
I must wear corrective glasses. Is there a company that makes binoculars that can be used while I wear my corrective glasses? The field glasses I presently use have a very small field of view when they are used against my corrective glasses. They are apparently meant to be used by a person who does not wear spectacles, and they can be held closer to the eye. I have tried using binoculars without my glass on, but I have difficulty getting everything in focus. Any thoughts? Thanks…BCB

45 2.1
05-22-2007, 07:23 PM
Several firms have standard rubber eye pieces that fold or roll down for eyeglass wearers. They work very well with only very slight reduction in field of view. I'm useing the Steiner military marine 8x30s myself.

45nut
05-22-2007, 07:27 PM
I have the same issue and in my experience the roll down cups do little to nothing to alleviate the issue. I am forever having to remove my glasses to use bino's or a spotting scope and then the dance begins to avoid crushing my progressive (read $$$$) glasses.

grumpy one
05-22-2007, 07:43 PM
I've had moderate success with removing my spectacles and refocussing the binoculars to suit. Of course like most people I have different corrections for my two eyes but I overcome this by using the separate focus adjustment on the right eyepiece of the binoculars. In my experience even moderately cheap binoculars have this, with marks to show how many diopters of adjustment you are making.

Naturally this only works if your problem is myopia - you cannot correct astigmatism this way, because you require correction by use of non-spherical lenses.

ARKANSAS PACKRAT
05-22-2007, 08:52 PM
I have an old pair of Tasco 8X40's that had removable "eyecups" threaded on them, remove them to use with glasses. I removed them 42 years ago, long gone.
Those old glasses have been everywhere with me, even "overthere" still going strong!!!!
Nick

Char-Gar
05-22-2007, 09:09 PM
Twenty years ago I bought a pair of Ziess individual focus binos. I don't need to wear glasses when I use them. I just set each lens and away I go. If you focus the glasses at 100 yards, they are in focus from 25 yards to infinity.

longhorn
05-22-2007, 09:36 PM
I have Burris 10 x 40 long eye relief binocs. Work fine. I'd never consider taking off my glasses in the field; matter of fact, they go on my face in the morning before I open my eyes. Useless in the shower, though--I've always envied those guys with a "no fog" mirror that could shave in the shower..

carpetman
05-22-2007, 11:46 PM
For my camera,I need glasses to properly focus it and the rubber eye cup did the trick. For my binoculars I don't have the rubber eyecups,so I remove my glasses,but the binos will focus where it works fine without them. That is a small problem . I just put my glasses on my lap if sitting or in my shirt pocket. In my books,the absolute best buy on binoculars period is a pair of Zephyr weight glasses made in Rochester NY by Bausch & Lomb. These are usually available on EBAY and it would require several hundred dollars to possibly get as good of quality----maybe as good but you wont beat them.

Ranch Dog
05-23-2007, 06:36 AM
I understand the problem, I've had eyeglass since I was 16 and I'm now 53. I use the Bushnell products and most of their binoculars have adjustable, twist up, eyecups that allow the necessary adjustment. They also have great eye relief for a complete field of view. My Trophy 10X42's have 18.3mm of eye relief. Here is a link to their products...

http://www.bushnell.com/general/binoculars.cfm?section=General%20Use

Boz330
05-23-2007, 08:24 AM
I've worn glasses since I was 3. I've found that the fold down eye cups work fairly well for me. If you are going to spend a lot of time looking through binos it pays to get good ones.

Bob

Frank46
05-24-2007, 01:42 AM
I have a set of steiner 7x50's that are about 24 years old. They do have the rubber eye cups that fold back so as to allow you to see with your glasses. So far they have worked fine all these years. My spotting scope is a el cheapo zoom from 20 to 36. Mostly used at the range at distances up to 200yds. Not the best to be sure but even with the specs on it works. I'd suggest that you visit a good hunting shop and have them let you try the ones that interest you. Don't look around the store. Out a door or window. That should be better to give you an idea of the viewing qualities of your binocs you are looking through. And try to get the best that you can afford. frank

dakotashooter2
05-24-2007, 08:46 AM
I recall seeing an ad years ago for bino's that were supposedly taylored to eyeglass wearers. I don't recall what they were but they apparently either never worked as claimed or never sold very well. Some Bino's are better than others and about all you can do is try them. I never did like the "roll down" cups mainly because they were hard on my lenses. after a year or two of being rolled down the cups would crack and the rolled secton would peel off leaving a ragged surface for you glasses to press against and scratch. I much prefer the newer screw down cups. Another though is to try a set of fixed focus bino's. I had a pair of steiner military marine bino's like that. Adjust for each individual eye and they were in focus at all ranges. It made using them without the glasses on much easier though if you have relly high correction they may not work well.

Mallard57
05-24-2007, 09:00 AM
I've got a pair of Pentax binos with twist up cups, wearing glasses isn't much of a handicap. I consider these binoculars money well spent.
Jeff

BCB
05-24-2007, 05:57 PM
Dang 4 eyes!!!Thanks for the replies. It seems that I may just have to try a couple of brands to see if they are O.K. with spectacles. I thought maybe some company just made a pair of binoculars especially for people who wear glasses. I do have a pair of pretty old Bushell binoculars and and they don't work too badly. But as my eyes continue to degrade with age, I need every advantage available! Thanks again...BCB

Mallard57
05-24-2007, 06:30 PM
I'd go to one of the bigger sporting goods chains and and look through a bunch of binoculars that you might be interested in. There is nothing like being able to compare them.
Jeff

Jon K
05-26-2007, 02:10 AM
Shop around, and look at all aspects. I just found and bought a pair. My decision was made on these:
long eye relief- 22.7mm
relative brightness- 50.4
Factory Demo -44% discount (B&H Photo) Nikon Ocean Pro 7X50 CF WP Porro prism $169.00
Before I found these, I was looking at Nikon Monarch 8X42 or Leupold 8X42 both are $289-$309 both of which have 18mm eye relief & relative brightness 28. They just got here late today, haven't had them outside yet, but look good indoors.

I don't know how much you're looking to spend, but only you can answer that, but shopping & looking around and when you find what fits your needs, you'll know exactly what you're willing to spend.

That's my $.02 worth- no favorites, just an objective choice.

Jon