PDA

View Full Version : Caplock video

Nobade
09-13-2012, 09:04 AM
Here's why nipples don't last very long shooting with heavy conicals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6KWxuYv4k4

horsesoldier
09-13-2012, 09:54 AM
Wow, I didnt anticipate how much fire was going to come out when that cap went off

bob208
09-13-2012, 12:00 PM
a hot shot nipple would cure alot of that.most of the stock nipples the hole is way too big.

newton
09-13-2012, 01:01 PM
Ive played around with my new gun. The nipple it had just simply was not reliable. I do not know what it was, but it just would not fire each time. So I drilled it out. Fired every time after that, but it also blew the hammer back and left residue on the barrel.

So I took a nipple out of an old CVA that still looked good but it had a little bigger hole than the first. Plus, it is counter sunk on the underside. Very interesting. But with that nipple I get reliable ignition and no blowback. I shot at least 20 rounds through that nipple and not a bit of wear. What I am shooting is a 435 grain maxi hunter in a .54 with 100 grains pyro RS.

I am going to be curious how long the nipple holds up, but you can't hardly tell there is anything wrong with it as it is.

newton
09-13-2012, 01:02 PM
One thing I did notice is that the guys that were with me noticed a lot of flash with the first nipple and the smallish hole. I do not notice a flash now with the new nipple. I think that a hole can be too small also, not just too big.

OverMax
09-23-2012, 03:38 PM
I've never encountered hammer blow back such as that. But than again I only shoot rd ball. I would 2nd second what bob208 has stated. A T/C Hot Shot or a Knight Hot Shot nipple would indeed limit that hammer bounce substantially.

Hometek
09-23-2012, 05:25 PM
Yea, I've never had the cap blow off the nipple like that.

tomme boy
09-23-2012, 06:52 PM
The only time I have seen this is when too much powder is put in. Or the person did not seat the ball an left a air gap in the barrel.

DIRT Farmer
09-23-2012, 10:58 PM
Self cockers, good in simi auto pistols, bad in muzzle loaders. I have never found a flash hole in a nipple to small unless pluged. I changed them out every year in shotguns ond rifles I fired regulary.

Any time he cap blows out to fill the flash cup, not lifting the hammer, it gets replaced.

colonelhogan44
09-24-2012, 12:45 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQUIzAQCjbs&feature=plcp

another one of his videos -- It seems to take forever for that powder to ignite...off very few sparks. I wonder if he knows what he is doing.

All his videos seem to have delayed firing after the caps go too.

bob208
09-24-2012, 07:10 PM
i will go out on a limb. and say it looks to me like too much priming powder. it is also a cva lock and rifle.

Blammer
10-03-2012, 04:33 PM
you also must consider the frames per second rate of the recording. If he's using really high speed things can seem awfully distorted. I'd also like to see it in real time.