PDA

View Full Version : Shot my first batch of cast, interesting results

Pmc
09-13-2012, 08:53 AM
I shot my first batch of cast yesterday. 30 cal 180 gr rn lubed with alox in 308 Win. cast from range lead. Here's where it gets interesting.

My previous load was a jacketed 180 rn over 9.8 gr of Trailboss. It was good for about 1050 fps. Shooting my cast boolits I was getting about 1190 fps. Anyone care to comment on why cast would be so much faster than jacketed? I don't mind working down a load just trying to learn all I can.

Plinkster
09-13-2012, 09:11 AM
My guess is with that low of pressure loading the friction coefficient is coming into play. Bear in mind I said guess.

1Shirt
09-13-2012, 10:52 AM
Cast boolits are softer (regardless of alloy) than jacketed materials. Also they are lubed! Cast loads with the same charge used for equal weights in jacketed projectiles will logically always be faster.
1Shirt!

sqlbullet
09-13-2012, 12:24 PM
If you look at load data, your lead loads would probably have made more pressure too. You will find in most load data that has equal weight jacketed and cast bullets with the same powder, the cast boolit makes the velocity and pressure at a lower charge.

That doesn't seem to jive in my mind and makes me wonder how much load data is generated these days with a computer versus a pressure barrel.

That would also explain the taming of lots of loads in recent years.

GRid.1569
09-13-2012, 02:32 PM
My previous load was a jacketed 180 rn over 9.8 gr of Trailboss.

I thought Trail Boss was only recomended for Lead and not J's (wash my mouth out...) :-?

44man
09-13-2012, 03:14 PM
Lead in most cases will generate less pressure and will be faster. Lead can use even more powder then jacketed.
Depends on your gun and workup. never assume anything. Safety is always first.
Friction does come into play.

Pmc
09-13-2012, 04:06 PM
Grid, It may not be recommended for jacketed but for me it has worked great with jacketed bullets in subsonic loads. Especially in 308 and 44 mag. The trick here is in working down a load. I want to keep the bullet at around 1050 give or take.