PDA

View Full Version : Family guns

abunaitoo
09-13-2012, 01:22 AM
I got so sick watching, I couldn't watch the whole show.
These guys give shooters a bad name. Talk about taking advantage of someone, and laughing about it.
I'll never watch it again.
I know lots of people have no problem with ripping off someone who just dosen't know. But I can't do it.
I guess that's what the "NOW" generation is today.
No wonder this country is in so much trouble.

SMCCORD
09-13-2012, 06:32 AM
I agree. Most TV shows now are nothing more than "look at how stupid we can be".

My wife and I decided to pay our last cable bill August 2011. Been a year now and can't say that i've missed it. The family is spending alot more outdoor time together. Its nice to "unplug".

Sasquatch-1
09-13-2012, 07:06 AM
I got so sick watching, I couldn't watch the whole show.
These guys give shooters a bad name. Talk about taking advantage of someone, and laughing about it.
I'll never watch it again.
I know lots of people have no problem with ripping off someone who just dosen't know. But I can't do it.
I guess that's what the "NOW" generation is today.
No wonder this country is in so much trouble.

I have not watch the show but would like to ask you this. If I were to offer you a thousand pounds of lead, smelted and ingotize (is that a word?) for 10 cent a pound, delivered to your door, would you take it? Everyone is out for a bargain. It is just a shame that some of these "REALITY" shows sensationalize the fact. Just look at them like Pro Wrestling and enjoy. If you can't do that, as you said, there is always the remote.

x101airborne
09-13-2012, 08:37 AM
Family Guns does sensationalize it quite a bit, but the show I HATE is American Hoggers. I just cant stand to know those people are Texans. I wish someone would come out with a show that was about responsibility in the woods and dealing with real depredation / predator issues without being one giant commercial or having all the drama that they think they need. I would love to watch a show just about hog hunting. I can do without the girls on horses with long pink painted nails and going "Eeeeww!!!! the MUD!!!".

Bad Water Bill
09-13-2012, 09:49 AM
My TV DIED about 5 years ago. Have I missed something yet?:bigsmyl2:

gray wolf
09-13-2012, 01:28 PM
Well TV is to costly for us so we do without and don't miss it, 10 years now.
As for the question of ripping people off ? I guess some folks can sleep good no matter what they do. Bargains are bargains, and I/we sure look for them,
But lets not kid ourselves or BS the other folks.
I think people darn well know when they are taking advantage of someone else
Specially old folk, if you can live with it --good for you.
I can't, and I never want to learn how.

FISH4BUGS
09-13-2012, 01:42 PM
When I came home one day and my kids were so zoned out at the TV they never even heard me come in or saw me when I walked by, and homework was not done (or even started), the TV got unplugged. I took it to the range and machine gunned it (amazing what a MAC11A1 .380 submachine gun with a 32 round magazine will do to a TV) and finished it off with a 12 gauge. Yes, I cleaned up the mess.
That was 25 years ago. The kids are grown up and out on their own. They read, they have hobbies, they work. I read, I write for the trades, I cast, I sort brass, I reload, and I shoot. I work on the house. I work on the yard. I work at making a living. I do not need TV. I get my news and weather from the Internet and newspapers. I still like to read a newpaper when I eat or ride the train. I listen to the radio.
It is astounding how much you can get done without a TV to make you a slug.
When I travel, I will occasionally flip channels on the TV when in the hotel. What I see is just simply astounding. I do not understand what is so interesting to people that they will park their asses on a couch and watch.
Different strokes for different folks but it certainly isn't for me. Machine gunning my TV was the best thing I ever did! Not to mention a lot of fun!
My kids are better for it too.

Superfly
09-13-2012, 01:52 PM
tv what a waste of time. i may turn mine on this winter if it is real cold out like 56 below lol

bowfin
09-13-2012, 01:58 PM
I go over to my mother's house with my son every Saturday to watch a football game with her. That is the extent of my TV viewing, because we haven't had a television hooked up since a couple years ago.

bob208
09-13-2012, 07:18 PM
we cut the tv off 5 years ago. watch only movies on dvd. don't miss it at all.

Murphy
09-13-2012, 07:23 PM
We have a TV in our house. My father in law (who is 85 years old) and house bound watches and listens to it for noise as much as anything. The wife does the same, but she has her Kindle Fire or another game in her hand. The father inlaw does cross stitch work..etc.

Me? I'm casting, loading or online. I quit sippin' the coolaid of TV over 10 year's ago.

Murphy

bootsnthejeep
09-14-2012, 08:28 AM
I haven't had a cable plan in years. Not even redneck fuzzivision off an antenna. I've got the radio. It's always been a financial thing for me, I can't justify spending almost $100 a month on cable and internet, I balk at the $50 for my internet. So I don't avoid it for any moral purpose, but I definitely feel better about it when I do get a chance to see what's on TV and can believe what passes for entertainment.

A friend turned me onto Top Shot. I liked the sound of the concept. In reality, it was a whole bunch of dorm room drama, not nearly enough shooting. A few good shooters, a few arrogant dinks that talked big but couldn't deliver, a few conniving weasels playing everyone against each other, and what was more troubling were the amount of people that worked with guns for a living and SHOULD be decent shots, and couldn't appear to be able to hit their foot if it was tied to a tree.

The same guy gave me a dvd of Sons of Guns. I didn't get thru the first episode, and the next time I saw him, I told him he NEEDED to stop watching that ****, or he was going to catch whatever stupidity disease these people had.

I used to like American Choppers way back when before it got REALLY crazy. But the day Vinny left was the day I stopped watching. He was the only level headed competent worker in the whole place.

Producers of modern TV shows would never produce something with quality people in it. Our culture has been actively trying to drag everyone down to the lowest common denominator for years. And it does no good if you plop yourself down in front of the tube for your daily 6 hours of viewing and see people that would either make you aspire to be better or actually inspire you to improve. If you can watch all day and say "Wow, I'm smarter than ALL these guys!" then it gives you no reason to improve yourself. Apparently you're fine.

10x
09-14-2012, 11:00 AM
Folks, keep in mind this is entertainment on television, not reality. It is designed to sell advertising on television and nothing more.
All of these folks are acting ( i hope)...
For some watching stupid people is entertaining. For others who are stupid, this stuff is high drama and ripe entertainment.
Bottom line what you see on television ain't any where near reality...
But liberals like to point it out as an example....

gray wolf
09-14-2012, 11:13 AM
Folks, keep in mind this is entertainment on television, not reality. It is designed to sell advertising on television and nothing more.
All of these folks are acting ( i hope)...
For some watching stupid people is entertaining. For others who are stupid, this stuff is high drama and ripe entertainment.
Bottom line what you see on television ain't any where near reality...
But liberals like to point it out as an example....
Sorry, I must disagree with your facts, TV is the best mind control, thought planting devise ever invented. Your watching more than you think your watching.

nicholst55
09-14-2012, 11:14 AM
I'm going on five years without TV, and I don't miss it. The television industry has been going steadily and rapidly downhill ever since some moron invented the "reality" show. The so-called "writers" they hire have absolutely no concept of how to write, and I simply refuse to watch that drivel. I do watch a very few movies, but most of them are in black & white.

Read a book; it sharpens your mind.

MT Gianni
09-14-2012, 11:42 AM
Missoula got a victim of Hurricane Katrina a few years back. She didn't own a TV and never watched it. After the devastation she went to the second hand store, bought a 13" set and watched the 1/2 hour news every day. That was the only thing that she watched. I think there is a lot of wisdom to be found there.