PDA

View Full Version : Forster Trimmers

kodiak1
09-12-2012, 10:11 PM
Any of you fellas sharpen your trimmer blades on your Forster case Trimmers?
Mine is getting dull and it is a pain in the butt to find someone up here in Canada that sells replacement cutters. So i was thinking if possible can it be sharpened.

Ken.

FISH4BUGS
09-13-2012, 08:17 PM
Not only can you get them directly from Forster, but they will sharpen them for you I think for $5. Maybe the customs duties make it cost prohibitive....Don't know.
Check their web site.

Jailer
09-13-2012, 09:01 PM
I've sharpened the cutter on my RCBS trimmer before with a dremmel and a small cutting wheel.

Use the face of the wheel at the correct angle with very light pressure to dress it back into shape.

DCM
09-13-2012, 09:47 PM
A good tool and die man can sharpen just about anything!

I found one completely by chance that sharpens my unibits/stepbits to better than new.
I used to think they could not be sharpened.

10x
09-15-2012, 08:13 AM
I have several forester trimmers that I have picked up at gunshows. I only use them for small batches. I have found the Lee trimmer with the cutter and length gauge mounted in a drill press to work way faster and much less hassle for batches of 20 or more.

The OP is right, it is a real hassle getting Forester bits and pieces here in Canada. It is a good product but the Canadian Wholesalers simply will not stock many accessories.

SP5315
09-15-2012, 01:45 PM
I've had good luck dressing the cutting edge of my trimmer by using a fine (600 grit) Eze-Lap diamond file. A few strokes on each cutting edge while maintaining the same cutting angle does wonders.

9.3X62AL
09-15-2012, 01:50 PM
My skill set doesn't allow for re-sharpening of the Forster cutters. I buy them from the usual suspects (MidwayUSA, Grafs, etc). The shafts DO come in varying sizes--make certain of your shaft diameter prior to ordering.

kodiak1
09-15-2012, 07:32 PM
Fellas thanks for the feed back. I think next set of days off she is a trip to the fella that sharpens my carbide saw blades.
Actually never thought of that.

Ken.

Larry Gibson
09-16-2012, 02:41 PM
I sharpen my Forster cutters (I have 3 trimmers) all the time. I use a small medium stone and cutting oil, doesn't take much and I count and use the same number of strokes on each blade.

Larry Gibson