PDA

View Full Version : Chrony Costs

Beekeeper
09-10-2012, 09:01 PM
How much did you pay for yours?
I saw one of the Magneto speed chronys today at the range.
Sure beats the heck out of taking a chance on shooting yours.
Went to their web site and they sell for $250.00 plus shipping and look like they would fit in a medium flat rate box.
Man using it said $275 to his door in less than a week and has only one drawback.
A cheapo locking clasp.
Said he has a 17 page post over on sniper.com website.
Am really thinking about one and would like your input on it.

beekeeper

btroj
09-10-2012, 09:05 PM
Mine was a gift over 10 years ago.

Have nicked a guide wire a couple times, dropped it once. Still works great.

I have no interest in changing, this thing still works well. Beta Chrony all the way.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
09-10-2012, 09:25 PM
Well, I haven't put any of them side by side to test them out, but the $275 is over double what you can buy a Chrony for.

Chrony has a number of different models/options, so check them out on the net.

They also have a rather generious trade - in policy for up grades.

Back a few years I needed some new cardboard shooting windows for my older Chrony which where were no longer available.

It was a no brainer, sent in my old chrony and a reasonable number of bucks and back came a new and much improved product.

Lots to choose from, so don't stop looking at one brand.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

popper
09-10-2012, 11:26 PM
I read the reviews on it, understand it is a little trickery for cast, I think they have to track the GC. Magnetic characteristics of lead are pretty poor. Obviously not made for SA pistol

mpmarty
09-10-2012, 11:29 PM
Chrony Beta Master $100 to my door. Works great. I substituted wooden dowels for the metal rods to hold the sky screens.

JeffinNZ
09-10-2012, 11:35 PM
Yeah, I'd go Chrony. I'm on my second after the first one finally packed up after about 15 years of hard service.

RobsTV
09-11-2012, 09:13 AM
From Grafs (and another great reason to have a $30 C&R)
The USB interface is optional, but since I saved so much on the Chronograph, and I have spare laptops, it worked out great. The Prochrono has enough memory slots that for most an external control device would not be needed.

COMP ELECT PROCHRONO DIGITAL CHRONOGRAPH (CE3800)
1 in cart -- $84.99 each

COMP ELECT PROCHRONO USB DIG. INTERFACE w/SOFTWARE (CE3810)
1 in cart -- $35.99 each

Subtotal: $120.98

nwellons
09-11-2012, 10:09 AM
I agree with the Chrony. I got mine a couple of years ago from Midway - I also get a C&R discount there. I've only shot it once and it was just a "flesh wound" that gives it character.

Stopped working once (before I shot it) and they fixed it for free - and quickly.

sqlbullet
09-11-2012, 10:40 AM
I have a Chrony too. Works fine and was only $100.

If I were buying today I would probably get the one RobsTV referenced. It has a better user interface. The software might be nice too. Although as a programmer and a Mac/Linux user I would probably just end up writing something to import the data.

David2011
09-11-2012, 12:26 PM
If you're not stuck on a Chrony, I'll throw in another suggestion for the Competition Electronics ProChrono. They're on sale for about $100 right now at Midway. They'll hold 10 strings of shots in memory and give all of the usual averaging and data as well as the ability to delete a particular shot if you feel the need. They have a space for a spare battery in the base and a number of remote and computer accessories available. I've had mine for 6 years with no problems.

David

popper
09-11-2012, 12:44 PM
Anyone use the RCBS ammomaster?

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
09-11-2012, 12:52 PM
Yep, Chrony or ???????? Just be thankful we now have the choices.

When I first started looking at a chronograph, there was a set of start/stop screens which needed to be shot through and then replaced with every shot.

Even though this was not one of the high priced and "professional" chronos, there was an out of pocket cost for replacement screens every time you pulled the trigger. OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!! Didn't go there!

Now, we have a choice and it is simply great to have a chronograph included in your load development!

Oh, buy the way, if buying a Chrony, spend the small amount extra to buy the plexiglass protectors to go over the sky screens.

Small cost and it helps to protect the sky screens from gas checks, bullet lube and what ever else might clutter them up.

CDOC

Tatume
09-11-2012, 02:51 PM
I read the reviews on it, understand it is a little trickery for cast, I think they have to track the GC. Magnetic characteristics of lead are pretty poor. Obviously not made for SA pistol

I don't understand why anyone would say this. The device is controlled by shadows crossing the sensors. It works just fine with cast or jacketed bullets. Magnetic detection is not a concern.

Take care, Tom

alamogunr
09-11-2012, 03:54 PM
He was referring to the MagnetoSpeed chronograph. Look here:

http://www.magnetospeed.com/

I can't comment on whether it works with cast but I know it doesn't work from shadows.

popper
09-11-2012, 04:35 PM
I was interested but read some reviews. Some stated it could work with cast but was finicky for them.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
09-11-2012, 05:33 PM
Aaaaaaaaha!

The Ol'Coot still can learn something! ;-)

CDOC

alamogunr
09-11-2012, 05:36 PM
When I decided to get a chronograph, I looked at several and chose the CED Millennium Chronograph. The display is back at the bench and the sensors are all that is in danger. The way it is set up, the wings are not easily replaced by dowels, etc. I've already "winged" one of mine but not so that it can't be used. It did prompt me to order a replacement set just in case.

I like knowing what a particular load is doing. Is it necessary? For me probably not, but I love gadgets and I can't help feeling that it may keep me out of trouble.

fcvan
09-11-2012, 07:06 PM
My Chrony is so old that the sky screen set up was cardboard. It still works and I have taken to making new screen holders from cereal box/soda box type cardboard. When it quits, I'll send it in for a refurbish job. I liked the idea of using dowels instead of the metal rods. I bought my brother a newer Chrony a couple years ago and it has the metal rods. Frank

Junior1942
09-11-2012, 07:11 PM
My first chronograph cost $300 IIRC. I had to mount the screens on a piece of 1/2" conduit. The screens were shoot-through one time only. The readout was time-of-flight. Do lots of work on a pocket calculator and come up with fps. I thought it was wonderful.

10x
09-12-2012, 10:41 AM
He was referring to the MagnetoSpeed chronograph. Look here:

http://www.magnetospeed.com/

I can't comment on whether it works with cast but I know it doesn't work from shadows.

It works on the same principle as a metal detector. There are 2 "electro magnetic fields" that are generated and any metal passing through the field will cause the field to change.
That being said without knowing the frequency or strength of the electromagnetic field generated I would advise any one with a pacemaker to stay far away from one of these....

Rocky Raab
09-12-2012, 12:19 PM
Chronographs are like many other items of gear in that you can buy cheap ones, mid-priced ones, or expensive ones. The majority of casual reloaders can get away with cheap chronos that sometimes miss a reading or report a wildly deviant speed. Some reloaders want more reliability, more features and more accuracy, so they buy a mid-priced unit. A few reloaders need professional-grade results; they buy an Oehler 35P and never have to worry about a missed shot or an erroneous reading ever again.

The magnetic chronograph is intriguing, but it is a very new product with significant teething issues. It will certainly be improved as the years go by. One disadvantage is that hanging that weight from the muzzle does affect grouping; velocity and accuracy tests have to be done separately.

popper
09-12-2012, 12:32 PM
No it will NOT interfere with a pacemaker. Airport metal detectors don't either. Same results as with floppy disks and computer screens. No effect. I'd like to try putting 2 accelerometers on a rifle bbl and check speed that way. Haven't found any sensitive enough yet, possibly pressure sensors would work, cheaper for sure, but harder to mount.

leadman
09-12-2012, 02:23 PM
If you get a Chrony get the model with the display on the bench. I had the base model and a 22 cal gas check took out the display when I forgot to put on the plexiglass shield I had made.
Traded it in to Chrony for the model with the display on the bench.

C.F.Plinker
09-12-2012, 02:45 PM
I've never had a problem with lead boolits and a Chrony. I did have some problems with J-word projectiles not registering but another shooter suggested using a marking pen to blacken the copper so reflections wouldn't cause any problems. His idea worked and is still used today.