PDA

View Full Version : Maven's Day at the Range w/ PB CB's

Maven
09-10-2012, 04:59 PM
I had a chance to go to the range today to enjoy the sunny, cool, breezy autumnal weather we're finally experiencing, and incidentally, to test some Lee 30-150-TL boolits (from an earlier group buy mold) today. The selling point of that design was that it could be shot "as cast," i.e., without sizing or lubing in the traditional manner; and without gas checks since it is plain based (PB) Instead, they were supposed to be tumble lubed (TL) in Lee Liquid Alox, Lar's Xlox, something similar. Mine were indeed as cast, unweighed, and swished around in LLA for the most part, though I have to confess that a few were also smeared by hand with Lar's Xlox (good stuff!). By trial and error, I learned that 7.5gr. Hodgdon Clays, 8.7gr. Alliant Unique, or 9.5gr. Alliant Blue Dot gave me accurate, economical, and for the most part, lead-free results. Btw, those charges were thrown with my Lyman pistol powder measure, with different rotors (which I calibrated*), hence the odd charge weights. As the 30-150-TL's drop from the mold at .314", and my .30-06 prefers .311" CB's, I had to use my Lyman 30L M-die to expand the case mouths so as to prevent lead shaving. For the record, the 3x fired Rem. .30-06 cases were neck sized in a Lee Collet die, expanded via the M-die, primed via a Lee hand tool, charged with a Ly. pistol powder measure, and had the aloxed, but unweighed, unsized PB CB's seated via a CH-4D Vickerman die. (Meacham makes a copy of it too.) The primers were CCI #34's. A pic of the 2nd best target of the day (12 shots) is below. The best target was supposed to have 10 shots in it, but I'm not certain all 10 actually hit it because I did find a small amount of bore leading ~3/4 of the way up (from the chamber) the bbl. upon cleaning. Btw, today's results were the best I've ever got from the Lee 30-150-TL: better than sizing & lubing to .314" conventionally; better than tapering them (special die needed). Best of all, there was a lot less effort involved.

*Not one of the rotors throws charges that match the data sheet Lyman provided with the powder measure.

44man
09-11-2012, 08:31 AM
Looks darn good to me!
I never liked the Lyman measure, drove me nuts setting them. [smilie=l: I admit, once set they are good.

HARRYMPOPE
09-11-2012, 09:22 AM
I have similar results in my 30-06's with those loads you mentioned.I keep it simple like you did and dont weight/sort add fillers over the powder or do anything fancy.
i can just de-prime and re-prime with a Meacham Pope tool.I throw the powder from the measure at the bench then finger seat a bullet and let the bolt slam it home.It sets me ata good pace for offhand practice.I haven't had problems with misfires or shoulder setback with loads like yours.i have one case that has over 800 firings on it and the flashhole is stock and not opened up.

this is my 30-06 plainbase shooting kit.there is enough i the little box for 400 shots.