PDA

View Full Version : '96 GMC Jimmy

gnoahhh
09-10-2012, 12:42 PM
Picked one up for a daily work/hunting vehicle, V-6 4x4. Relatively low mileage, runs/handles perfectly, everything is as it should be. My question is to those with knowledge/experience with these vintage GM vehicles: anything to watch for or any preventive maintenance tricks to keep it as it is, aside from the normal stuff like oil changes, etc.? I hope to keep it for a couple of years anyway. Thanks!

WILCO
09-10-2012, 12:49 PM
Fuel pump and wiring tend to be problematic. My motor had a major problem where it was knocking real loud. Drove it right to the dealer and traded it in when that started. They wanted to look at it, I told them it was at the end of the lot. They gave me $3,000.00 for it. Oh yeah, mine was a 1998 and this was back in 2005.

Reg
09-10-2012, 12:55 PM
VINTAGE !!!! Please do not call my 96 Jimmy vintage !!
Wonderful truck. Rides very nice and quiet. Plenty of power and 18 to 19 MPG on the road. Did have to put a new tranni in it at 150,000 mi but it was my fault, not the truck.
Change the tranni fluid and filter every 60,000 and oil and filter every 2000. Keep up on the air filter and watch the belts. Only fault I ever found was the hoses ( factory ) from the tranni to the radiator ( cooling and return ) will fail at the fittings but the replacements don t seem to have that problem. At 177.000 the washer fluid pump has quit but thats a simple fix.
Always keep it shedded so a quick rinse and vacuuming , it looks like new.
Drove a new 2010 Jimmy to Denver and back last spring and wouldn't trade my 96 for a boat load of them. It rode rough and was very noisy in the cab and that 40,000 dollar sticker price scared the heck out of me.
Smart move on your part. Properly taken care of your 96 will last for a very long time.

:drinks:

docone31
09-10-2012, 12:59 PM
We had that year Jimmy, with two wheel drive and V6.
Awsome vehicle.
The one issue we had was the manifold gasket. It leaked. We fixed it and drove the daylights out of it.
Good, perky vehicle that went places others could not.

Reg
09-10-2012, 01:00 PM
Yes, I did replace the fuel pump at 135,000 but that is SOP with all of the in the tank fuel pumps. Simple fix though. Do not try to drop the tank from the bottom, you will learn new cuss words. Pull the wiring plug at the left rear of the box, pull 8 box bolts, then the fitting and ground wire at the filler and just lift the box to the rear and out of the way.
Do not just replace the pump itself but rather replace the whole canister assy with the new pump. The cross over point in the lid will get just the tiniest amount of corrosion at the points and even if you did just replace the pump only , the resistance in the corrosion will cause the new pump to burn out. Been there, done that.

bob208
09-10-2012, 03:30 PM
change the fuel filter once a year and don't let it get below 1/4 tank on gas too much.