PDA

View Full Version : noobie lubrisizer question

bakrzdzn
09-10-2012, 08:27 AM
I found some RCBS Lyman(sellers description) dies on ebay and wanted to know if they are worth getting. What has been the experience of the more seasoned casters? I have seen that Lee has more affordable products, but...cheaper isn't ALWAYS better.

Thanks,
Roy

Wayne Smith
09-10-2012, 08:39 AM
To use those dies you need either a Lyman or RCBS lubesizer. You can find them on eBay, too. I think there are three or four of the Lyman 450 currently on the site. Generally we recommend the RCBS LAM I or II as a stronger machine, but I have one of each and actually use the Lyman more because I have my BP/pistol lube in it. For 99% of lubesizing work I don't think it matters which one you get.

1Shirt
09-10-2012, 08:40 AM
lee push thrus are excellent, BUT, they are designed for LLA. Can be used for other lube as well, but requires a dip process, which some find to be no bother.
Lyman and RCBS are excellent dies, but of course you have to have a lubesizer, and nose per blt, so there is quite a bit of extra cost. The lubesizer is much faster overall than the lee process would be. Your choice. If you want the Roll Royce, you get a Star at a much higher buck!
1Shirt!

1Shirt
09-10-2012, 10:14 AM
lee push thrus are excellent, BUT, they are designed for LLA. Can be used for other lube as well, but requires a dip process, which some find to be no bother.
Lyman and RCBS are excellent dies, but of course you have to have a lubesizer, and nose per blt, so there is quite a bit of extra cost. The lubesizer is much faster overall than the lee process would be. Your choice. If you want the Roll Royce, you get a Star at a much higher buck!
1Shirt!

rainy191
09-14-2012, 12:19 AM
one thing that i persaonnaly dont like about LLA, is its sticky when dry and i dont want any thing to stick to any of my cast. i started with a rcbs and is a very sturdy machine wit a no B.S. warrenty. then i went to a star and really like the increased production i get