PDA

View Full Version : A perfect day. . .

abqcaster
09-09-2012, 07:00 PM
Got my chores done early this morning. Came home and had some green chile stew. It was a good kick in the pants; cleared my sinuses and made me sweat just a little. Made with fresh roasted big jims from the farmers' market. Then, I got to cast a thousand or so bullets while my 5yo daughter "helped." She couldn't do much, but she was great for conversation, and asked a lot of questions I was more than happy to answer. She's a great casting buddy. :wink:

WILCO
09-09-2012, 07:10 PM
Glad you had a perfect day! Little casting buddies are great to have around.

olaf455
09-09-2012, 09:44 PM
Awesome.

palmettosunshine
09-10-2012, 09:45 PM
You had a 5 year old in your casting area? Are you insane or just stupid?

Now, take a deep breath and follow along. Unless your casting area is equipped with HEPA filters and some SERIOUS ventilation equipment you are endangering your daughter's health. Period. Every surface in that area is contaminated with lead and kids being kids will put their hands in their mouths and noses before washing them, not to mention what she is inhaling. Lead exposure isn't as dangerous to you and me as we are adults but developing children NEED A LEAD FREE ENVIRONMENT. ANYTHING ELSE IS NEGLIGENT.

i say this knowing you wouldn't knowingly endanger your daughter and would go to great lengths to protect her from strangers and others that would do her harm. I'm guessing you would lay down your life for hers. Don't make the danger to her be from you. If she develops learning and developmental disabilities later do you want to wonder if it was from the time she spent with you reloading?

Be angry with me, call me vile names if you wish, just keep her away from airborne and other lead contamination and watch her grow up into a healthy adult. Your grandchildren will thank you.

waksupi
09-10-2012, 11:55 PM
You had a 5 year old in your casting area? Are you insane or just stupid?

Now, take a deep breath and follow along. Unless your casting area is equipped with HEPA filters and some SERIOUS ventilation equipment you are endangering your daughter's health. Period. Every surface in that area is contaminated with lead and kids being kids will put their hands in their mouths and noses before washing them, not to mention what she is inhaling. Lead exposure isn't as dangerous to you and me as we are adults but developing children NEED A LEAD FREE ENVIRONMENT. ANYTHING ELSE IS NEGLIGENT.

i say this knowing you wouldn't knowingly endanger your daughter and would go to great lengths to protect her from strangers and others that would do her harm. I'm guessing you would lay down your life for hers. Don't make the danger to her be from you. If she develops learning and developmental disabilities later do you want to wonder if it was from the time she spent with you reloading?

Be angry with me, call me vile names if you wish, just keep her away from airborne and other lead contamination and watch her grow up into a healthy adult. Your grandchildren will thank you.

First off, no insulting other members here. You need to do a bit of reading and research here, most of what you posted is old wives tales, that just plain don't hold water. Yes, there are hazards to lead, mostly from the heat. As long as the kid isn't licking the bench, there is no harm in anyone being around the lead. Airborne lead is not a hazard, unless you have come up with a way to put it in the air. Heating it in a pot won't do it.

abqcaster
09-11-2012, 12:30 AM
Thanks Waksupi! And FYI my casting area is OUTDOORS in a dedicated area. Way jump to conclusions Palmettosunshine! My daughter was playing in the dirt 20' away for the most part. That's why I said "helping" in quotes. I was raised around every aspect of firearms since I was 4, received FORMAL firearms training at NMMI, and am certified out the wazoo. I'm also a career toxicologist. Now, please go off and imagine what I'd like to say to you for your reckless assumptions.

Duckiller
09-11-2012, 01:35 AM
Very good abqcaster! Children need to help in all phases of reloading. Parents make sure they do it safely. #1 son reloaded my trap and skeet loads on a MEC 600. He had close supervision. #2 son has reloaded thousands of pistol loads when he was older. Of course he shot a lot of those reloads. Daughter helped me cast round balls tnat we to make black powder paper cartridges. Powder was black pepper. She and her entire class learned about ammunition in the Revolutionary War. The only way young people are going to get involved in shooting and reloading is if they start out you with their parents. Parents make sure children know how to reload safely and don't worry about old wife tales or other rumors that idiots pass on to each other.

abqcaster
09-11-2012, 01:54 AM
Right now she watches me cast from a distance and pretends to cast with dirt and plastic cups as her moulds. When I reload she hand me (clean) spent casings to re-size or gets to pull the press lever on the benign parts. Safety is sternly taught and enforced. Next year when she can read were taking junior hunter safety class. She's also in Shoshin Ryu Jujitsu, very well disciplined. Proud papa here. . .

:'-)

Mooseman
09-11-2012, 04:10 AM
FYI ,PMS... I received a Lethal dose of Lead poisoning...not from melting or casting lead and wheel weights, I got it from Paint fumes full of Lead OXIDES and other heavy Metals when a manmade respirator Failed to protect me .
I was 28 yrs old, and given only a few years to live by the Doctors.My Liver was damaged and swollen and I jaundiced, and couldnt get out of bed for 3 weeks when I was poisoned by it.
I am now almost 57 and have NO sign of Lead poisoning and I still cast boolits and melt wheel weights. Metallic lead is not nearly as dangerous as the Oxides of lead and you cannot vaporize lead just by melting it for Boolits.
The Envirowhackos have spread the Bs far and wide and since lead comes from mother earth it is a natural substance, just like oil, mercury, asbestos, etc...
Just use common sense when dealing with stuff and dont lick stuff to taste test.

btroj
09-11-2012, 06:34 AM
My dater was often around when I cast or smelted. She seems just fine at 18.

Good hygiene is important. Wash your hands well and many problems go away.

Lead is getting a bum rap from enviornmental nitcases.

Wayne Smith
09-11-2012, 07:50 AM
My dater was often around when I cast or smelted. She seems just fine at 18.

Good hygiene is important. Wash your hands well and many problems go away.

Lead is getting a bum rap from enviornmental nitcases.

I really like your last misspelling! I almost hope it was intentional.

A simple search here will provide anyone who wants a ream of factual information concerning the very real dangers of casting and reloading and the multiple old wives tails. We all need to question our assumptions as we type and at least be aware of them. We all do it, I am one of the worst but you seldom see it!

Blacksmith
09-11-2012, 02:05 PM
The biggest danger to casters, other than wallet problems, is probably a visit from the tinsel fairy or some other burn.

linotype
09-11-2012, 04:11 PM
Right now she watches me cast from a distance and pretends to cast with dirt and plastic cups as her moulds. When I reload she hand me (clean) spent casings to re-size or gets to pull the press lever on the benign parts. Safety is sternly taught and enforced. Next year when she can read were taking junior hunter safety class. She's also in Shoshin Ryu Jujitsu, very well disciplined. Proud papa here. . .

:'-)

Youngsters are fun to watch and to have around.
You are certainly blessed to have her take an interest and learn from you.
:grin:

Ickisrulz
09-11-2012, 04:26 PM
The Envirowhackos have spread the Bs far and wide and since lead comes from mother earth it is a natural substance, just like oil, mercury, asbestos, etc...
Just use common sense when dealing with stuff and dont lick stuff to taste test.

All those things come from the earth, but they're not exactly sitting out in the open and I doubt you'd want concentrated amounts laying in you backyard or inside your house (maybe the lead).

abqcaster
09-11-2012, 05:26 PM
Guys can we get off of the toxicology lesson? I appreciate the support and the exchange of ideas. However I wanted to relay the joy of passing something I love along to my kid. Lets save the rants for other threads. Stay golden.

RKJ
09-11-2012, 05:46 PM
I'm envious of you getting fresh green chiles. We lived in Rio Rancho for 4 years (92-96) courtesy of the US Navy and would go to the market in Bernallio. I love the smell of them roasting (and miss it) and a great big green chile cheeseburger. Jims are the great big ones aren't they? They had so many different varieties I dont remember them all now.
It's great that you are spending time with your daughter and getting her involved in things you enjoy. My 4 YO grandson helps me. I dont get a lot done but he sure makes it a lot of fun. :)

abqcaster
09-11-2012, 06:30 PM
My nephew is in the navy. Hunts pirates in the pacific rim. Ensign M. Lovato. Thanks for your service.
the green chile crop this year has been fabulous. Contact me and maybe I can ship you some fresh roasted green gold.

Ickisrulz
09-11-2012, 07:02 PM
Guys can we get off of the toxicology lesson? I appreciate the support and the exchange of ideas. However I wanted to relay the joy of passing something I love along to my kid. Lets save the rants for other threads. Stay golden.

I'm always amazed when the original poster tries to direct the flow of the thread. It's difficult to do.

Here's the thing, anytime someone posts a thread talking about doing something potentially hazardous (e.g., cleaning brass in the dishwasher, having kids help in the casting or brass cleaning process) someone will chime in telling you about the risks. These may be real or imagined, but it's normally because someone cares.

I read your original post. I had no idea your background, experience or what was really going on. But, in the back of my mind I was thinking children shouldn't be around hot metal. I'm glad your daughter was 20 feet away.

As far as lead being an ingestion hazard, it is a very real hazard for children. You being a toxicologist know that and I'm sure you'll keep your kids out of harm's way. Of course no one knew this from the original post and that's these reason for the "toxicology lessons."

abqcaster
09-11-2012, 07:41 PM
No, the reason for the original toxicology lesson is because someone couldn't bear to give a guy they don't know, the benefit of the doubt or even ask for clarification. They instead decided be be full of themselves and be a sanctimonious know-it-all.

Ickisrulz
09-11-2012, 07:45 PM
They instead decided be be full of themselves and be a sanctimonious know-it-all.

I personally wouldn't have approached you the way Plamettosunshine did. But, I have learned a long time ago not to make judgments about people's motives. You never know why someone does something.

palmettosunshine
09-12-2012, 09:11 PM
Hi there,

Sanctimonious know it all here chiming back in. Sorry it took me so long to respond, I must have been too tired from jumping to conclusions.

First off I sincerely apologize for the tone of my post. I could list all sorts of excuses but the fact is I over-reacted. :oops:

Please know that my response was because I DO care. I didn't become a dad until later in life and never expected that I would have a 5 year old son when I'm in my late 40's. I do tend to over react when it comes to my son's safety and I know I go overboard to protect him and his mother. They're why I carry a gun.

I also cast outside, way away from where my son plays and I don't let him near the area where I cast and I don't cast with him around, just seems like too much potential for disaster.

I'm glad you had a great day and please take my post for what it was meant to be, a safety warning, instead of what came out, a poorly worded over reaction.

abqcaster
09-12-2012, 10:46 PM
Water under the bridge. . .

smoked turkey
09-13-2012, 10:32 PM
palmettosunshine: It takes a big man to admit that he made a mistake and say he sincerely apologizes. I think you have made a very important first step. As you have found it is a longer road back to where you were than the road that got you to where you are today. I don't have a dog in this fight exactly, other than I hang my hat here and have come to believe that folks here who were so quick to recognize your mistake should also be quick to accept a heartfelt apology. You and I have a lot to learn about this craft and the folks here are very capable teachers. I say let this man learn from this mistake, accept his apology and go on from here. As was said this is water under the bridge.