PDA

View Full Version : Starline Shipping 327 FM Brass

Green Frog
09-09-2012, 06:00 PM
This weekend the "boys in Brown" brought me a long awaited shipment from Starline. The folks at Sedalia are now shipping 327 Federal Magnum brass. I don't know how many they ran this time, but the first batch they ran was gone very quickly. :sad:

Somebody posted on this or another forum that they thought the 327 was a dead number, but a steady (or at least predictable) supply of brass should keep it alive, and if the rate of brass sales is any indicator, there are a fair number of shooters who want it to stay that way. "Just sayin'..." 8-)

Froggie

:guntootsmiley::guntootsmiley::guntootsmiley:

evan price
09-10-2012, 04:09 AM
Wow! Starline started making it!
Shows as backorder until the end of the month at any rate.

I'm in the "dead" camp. If Starline don't do brass it's dead.
I own one 327 myself and shoot 32 longs in it anyway.

exile
09-10-2012, 08:01 AM
Wow!

exile

Green Frog
09-10-2012, 08:24 AM
Wow! Starline started making it!
Shows as backorder until the end of the month at any rate.

I'm in the "dead" camp. If Starline don't do brass it's dead.
I own one 327 myself and shoot 32 longs in it anyway.

EP,

The cartridge is really a promising one, IMHO. It should do everything the 32/20 did at its finest (if placed in an appropriate gun) and do it with a straight walled case to eliminate difficulties with trying to size a shouldered or tapered case. You can use a simple and readily available TC sizer die!

I'm speculating here, but since there was an earlier run of the 327 from Starline that sold out so very quickly, I envision them making a "trial run" to see what the demand would be. :Bright idea: With this run, they publicly said that back orders would be filled first, and moved the production schedule later as the orders were coming in... I'm guessing this was to give them a chance to gauge the market. I'll be very surprised if this run is not a pretty substantial one. :awesome: The folks @ Sedalia have done quite well at picking market niches for needed cartridge cases and filling them efficiently and economically. Remember how they were the go-to source for the 32 H&R almost-Mag when Federal was selling so precious few! In fact, to my way of thinking, about the only cartridge case they've missed the market for (IMHO) is the 32/40, but that's another thread! :not listening:

Regardless, and from a purely selfish standpoint, I'm pleased that I was able to get this 1K lot from them to keep me shooting with my current Ruger BH 8-shooter and my in-process S&W "Model 616" for a long time to come. Between the 250 rounds of Federal and this thousand, I should be able to keep going for about as long as I want. :guntootsmiley:

I'm curious, EP as to why you would get the extra length chamber for a 327 and limit yourself to 32 longs (and not at least use 32 H&R almost-Mags.) The time the bullet is unsupported between leaving the case mouth and reaching the forcing cone can't possibly be helping your accuracy. I know I can do it, but it won't be as a matter of choice... that would be like buying a Corvette and just going to the corner store for milk, butter, and eggs... it would work, but what a waste of potential! JMHO, of course, and YMMV! :mrgreen:

Froggie

VA Shooter
09-10-2012, 08:41 AM
Frog, If people would shoot the 327 they would understand what you and I already know. I love the round

leftiye
09-11-2012, 09:51 PM
Starline always takes orders until enough are received to kickstart (make profitable) a run. Then they produce extra as they estimate the further demand to be.

evan price
09-12-2012, 05:23 AM
EP,

The cartridge is really a promising one, IMHO. It should do everything the 32/20 did at its finest (if placed in an appropriate gun) and do it with a straight walled case to eliminate difficulties with trying to size a shouldered or tapered case. You can use a simple and readily available TC sizer die! I'm curious, EP as to why you would get the extra length chamber for a 327 and limit yourself to 32 longs (and not at least use 32 H&R almost-Mags.) The time the bullet is unsupported between leaving the case mouth and reaching the forcing cone can't possibly be helping your accuracy. Froggie

I realize the 327 has its uses. I do like shooting 32s. I just do not see the 327 as having any advantage that the 38 cals can't already give you (except for the cylinder diameter) by uploading or downloading.

I already load hot 32 Longs for other guns- Nagant 1895, Colt New Police, H&R 732, S&W 31 kit gun, etc. I didn't expect to own a 327 but CDNN Sports had the Taurus 327 bi-tone snub for $199 brand new and I could not turn it down at that price!

In my entire brass scrounging I only ever found about 150 pcs of 327 brass and sold them for a quarter apiece. I think I have a half dozen or so 327 cases now, and another half dozen or so 32 H&R mag cases. I have several thousand 32 longs.

Green Frog
09-13-2012, 09:53 AM
EP, I hope I didn't sound condemning or patronizing... I love the 32 S&W Long also. In fact right now I own 4 of them, and have a press dedicated to loading for them. I guess I just enjoy bucking the tide enough to be attracted to the 327 as a sort of "Magic Bullet" because of all the neat things I can do with it. I also plan on having at least a couple of 38 spl/357 Mag revolvers around for other uses, so my Baby Chief and Model 67 probably won't be going anywhere either. I guess I just want to have the Corvette and the mini-van! ;)

Best wishes,
Green Frog