PDA

View Full Version : A new guy with questions.

toooldtocare
09-09-2012, 02:05 PM
Finally joined after lurking for a while. I have a casting question. I know nothing about lead or the different types. I darn sure don't know how to tell them apart. I see a lot of post about different mixes of lead tin and antimony. Here is the question. How does the mix affect the bullet? I have some lead ingots. I have no clue what they are. Can I just cast a few boolits? weigh them? and work up a load? this is kinda hypothetical. Or am I being lazy and trying to skip a bunch of processes?

Wayne Smith
09-09-2012, 02:15 PM
Nope, not lazy, and certainly just like the rest of us. I would challenge anyone who has shot cast for more than an experiment to say they have never cleaned lead out of a barrel. Sounds like you may have an opportunity for the same experience!!

Seriously, what we need to know is the cartridge for which you will be casting. That makes more difference to which alloy to use than anything else. Loads in a low pressure round, .38 Special, .45 ACP or Colt, etc. can use pure lead if the boolit fits. On the other hand, high pressure rounds, e.g, 9mm, will lead like crazy with pure.

toooldtocare
09-09-2012, 02:24 PM
Good point. I didn't think about leading in the barrel. I have always bought my cast boolits. I am now looking into casting myself. My problem is I have read twenty posts here with twenty different thoughts as to the correct hardness and mix ratio. And please don't think I am bashing or trying to contradict anyone. I am just trying to learn and understand. I am stupid when it comes to casting. I don't even own a mold yet. If I cast a small ingot can someone tell me what I have? or should I buy a tester to check the hardness? Is there a book? Casting for dummies? Sorry for all the questions. I am just trying to learn.

swamp
09-09-2012, 05:14 PM
You might let people know what area you are in. Just might be someone close to you so you could get some hands on experience with someone.

swamp

toooldtocare
09-09-2012, 05:34 PM
good idea. Northshore Louisiana

southpaw
09-09-2012, 06:24 PM
Here is some more reading for you.

http://www.lasc.us/CastBulletNotes.htm

Also, to give you an idea of the hardness of the lead that you have, run your thumb nail over it. If it scratches easily chances are that it is pure or near pure. If it makes a mark but not real easily chances it is ww or something close. If you can not scratch the lead then it is either a type metal or a form of babit.

Jerry Jr.

EDK
09-09-2012, 06:49 PM
Access to a lead tester will give you brinnell hardness of your alloy. A pressure of 1400 pounds per square inch (I forgot exact number) times the brinnell hardness is required to obdurate the bullet...and hopefully not lead. Not ABSOLUTELY necessary to have a tester...and the good ones ain't cheap....but will help a lot in identifying the alloy.

Read Glenn Fryxell's "book" FROM INGOT TO TARGET" at lasc.us...and the rest of his articles also.

Read the various threads concerning boolit fit, lube, etc. and become even more confused. Lots of discussion and data to support varying opinions.

QUICK AND EASY ANSWER: Use straight wheel weights, size to standard for your caliber, use a NRA type 50/50 Alox lube or LEE LIQUID ALOX, load with an accepted powder charge. Go shooting and see if you have problems...THEN start the trouble shooting process.

GOOD MOVE TO CAST YOUR OWN. Commercial bullets are inferior to your home cast boolits and a lot more expensive.

:redneck: :cbpour:

JonB_in_Glencoe
09-09-2012, 07:30 PM
I'd suggest reading Lyman's "Cast bullet handbook"

WILCO
09-09-2012, 07:35 PM
I'd suggest reading Lyman's "Cast bullet handbook"

Best advice! Welcome aboard Toooldtocare! [smilie=p:

wv109323
09-09-2012, 08:08 PM
How does the mix affect the bullet?

In a short answer the mix affects the hardness, the size and weight of the bullet and the "castability" of the lead.
Hardness will affect whether the bullet leads the bore or not. As a general rule the harder the bullet the less likely the bullet is too lead the barrel. Also the size of the bullet should be matched to the bore of the rifle/pistol to which you are using it. An undersized bullet will cause leading.
The tin in the lead will help fill out the mold and make all corners and edges of the bullet sharp and more consistent.
That is very brief.
Not knowing what lead you are starting with is difficult. You could obtain a wheel weight and compare your lead ingots to a wheel weight. Use your thumbnail to scratch each on a corner and try to determine which is harder or if they are close. That should give you and idea as to what you have.
If your ingots are much softer then you may need to add solder(tin) to make your ingots usable.

quilbilly
09-09-2012, 11:03 PM
Can I just cast a few boolits? weigh them? and work up a load? this is kinda hypothetical. Or am I being lazy and trying to skip a bunch of processes?[/QUOTE]

The short answer is - of course you can cast a few and give them a try, but keep your velocity below 1000 fps. Before you do that, however, I would do a couple things that I have learned over 30+ years of working with lead casting fishing jigs for the marketplace. First, take a look at the lead and if the ingots are still smooth and a bit shiny, do they have a blueish color tint. If yes, that generally means the lead is fairly pure. Second, run your fingernail over the lead ingot and if it is soft enough for you fingernail to score it a bit, again it is fairly soft and pure. At this point you know a lot about your lead ingots already.
If it is a harder lead, you can bump up the velocity up to 1100 fps if you have a good lube.
You may want to add a little tin to your lead after it is melter by adding some solder (60/40 or 50/50) from the hardware store to make the boolits pour better.

toooldtocare
09-09-2012, 11:32 PM
Thanks for the replies guys

Blacksmith
09-09-2012, 11:49 PM
If you just start doing it you will get there eventully but you will get frustrated along the way. If you are lazy and want to get their quicker then start out by doing a LOT of reading. Casting Boolits is easy casting GOOD boolits takes a lot more knowledge and shooting cast for maximum results takes a lifetime to master.

If you want quick cast boolits cast away but if you wish to avoid problems start reading with the two books above and I would add a third "Modern Reloading" by Richard Lee. Also read all of the "Stickys" on this forum under each of the topic headings because there is literally thousands of years of casting experiance on this forum. Most problems have already been encountered and solved by someone and if you keep digging you will find the answers. It sounds like a lot but if you start by reading one hour a day, turn off the TV its not worth watching, you will get there. There is a lot to learn to do this well and not hurt yourself and you won't understand everything at first but the more you read the more you will see the connections as many things are interrelated. One thing effects several others so there are many paths to similar results.

Welcome aboard and have fun.

MtGun44
09-09-2012, 11:52 PM
You have already spent way too much time on hardness, unless you are loading for rifles
and want highest possible velocity.

If you are loading for handguns, ordinary clip on wheel weight alloy will do everything you
need.

Spend time on 1) fitting the boolit to the barrel 2) good designs 3) good lube.

The rest will come later. Ignore hardness for a LONG time, unless you come up with
a specific problem that MIGHT be related to hardness. Relatively few do since hardness
is a 2nd or third level variable that most people spend WAY too much time fretting over.
Focus on the things that make big differences, not ones that make little difference.

Bill

theperfessor
09-10-2012, 09:30 AM
Bill has it right. The only time I worry about hardness in pistol bullets is to make sure they are hard enough not to be sized down when I seat them, a real problem given the dimensions of dies intended for J-word loading.

Fit is 99% of the problem and solution. Hardness is way down the list. Don't fixate on it.

44man
09-10-2012, 09:53 AM
You can't find more good advise!
Lead boolits are an enigma that takes work with your gun.
You have entered a hobby that can be so satisfying or a big pain that some just give up on.
Yet, nothing can be tailored better or can shoot so good.
I will not be easy on you, it can get hard but once you see, you are stuck with the rest of us.
The life of cast shooters is to experiment, you need to step through the door without expecting instant results.
Make boolits, you might be surprised.