PDA

View Full Version : OK, Now I'm Hooked

Whitespider
05-20-2007, 09:15 PM
Well, I’ve reported on my first and second smelting attempt. Posted in another thread the results of making my on lube.

But today the family allowed me some time too myself. So I pulled out the Lee .41 caliber mold I received two weeks ago. Melted down some WW ingots.

My first attempt at casting a BOOLIT, look what I did!!!
I’m hooked, thanks a lot guys.

wiljen
05-20-2007, 09:23 PM
Great looking bullets!

Welcome to the addiction, it only gets worse from here!

He who has the most molds wins, right?

GP100man
05-20-2007, 10:35 PM
WS
loks like more range time to me!!!!!
good job ,now repeat many times!!!!!
might want to get some lube on that mold before it galls up .
nothing like bullplate sprue plate lube!!!!

GP100man

Buckshot
05-21-2007, 01:32 AM
[QUOTE=Whitespider;184711]

But today the family allowed me some time too myself. So I pulled out the Lee .41 caliber mold I received two weeks ago. Melted down some WW ingots.

QUOTE]

...........You should establish a time to yourself reserved for casting. Pick one night, afternoon, morning, whatever your and the family's schedual might allow. Figure out a workable time limit. It will soon be established in the family. When my daughter was a kid she liked to roll the dropped boolits around with a wooden dowel rod and inspect them. We tried the helping out during reloading but it just didn't work. Several near misses of having a divit removed from thumb or finger by her operating the lever too fast ended that experiment. She liked helping Daddy, for awile anyway.

Nice looking boolits, and way to go! You are now your own supplier :-)

.................Buckshot

USARO4
05-21-2007, 09:40 AM
They sure are pretty and shiney Whitespider. It almost seems a shame to shoot such a work of art. I guess you'll just have to make hundreds more. Congrats and enjoy our obsession.

FISH4BUGS
05-21-2007, 10:36 AM
I took all of yesterday afternoon (1-6 or so) in the shed while it rained steadily all day. I cast up maybe 1000 of the Lyman 358156 from the 4 cavity mould. I filled a LARGE (2 lb 11 oz) coffee can with the shiny little bullets. I guess I went through something like 20-25 lbs of alloy. What a pleasant and quiet afternoon. Next up is sizing and lubing. Now to load the 38's.
Casting must be something akin to zen. Great to get into a groove and just cast away. Preheat the ingots on the top of the pot, cast, let it cool, whack the sprue cutter, fill the workbench top with bullets and sprue cuttings, then stop and clean it up, recycle the sprue cuttings, put the bullets in the coffee can, add more ingots, repeat....and repeat.....and repeat.
I need a radio next......... listen to the NASCAR races.
Hey Tom........those lead head hammers are great!

threett1
05-21-2007, 07:44 PM
Yup, its addictive. Smelted a bunch of WWs today meself.:castmine:

targetshootr
05-21-2007, 08:16 PM
Good looking boolits. There's something about those first ones that is pure joy. I went on a rampage and had about 10,000 44 Keiths before I sized the first one.

USARO4
05-22-2007, 08:47 AM
Oh yes, casting on a rainy day, NASCAR in the background on the radio, a cool one during breaks, akin to Heaven.

WHITETAIL
05-27-2007, 09:52 AM
Yes, Casting gets to be an adiction. But as you make more the better you get, just like any hobbie.

Dale53
05-27-2007, 03:58 PM
Listening to NASCAR on the radio while casting is GOOD. However, listening to Road Racing Motorcycles of the Fifties at the Isle of Man on the stereo is infinitely better:drinks: :drinks:

Zoom, Zoom, and Zoom, again:-D :-D

Dale53