PDA

View Full Version : Lee TL-452-230 -2R 45 Colt Seating

MacD
09-06-2012, 07:09 PM
My first post. I did a search and read many posts but couldn't find the answer.

I just started casting this bullet for my new 45 ACP/45 Colt Remington 1875 replica. The OAL in my manual is 1.580 for the Colt cartridge. If I seat to that the ogive is below the case mouth. These are new Starline cases and measure right on the case spec @1.285. Even seating to 1.600, the maximum that will allow the cylinder to rotate freely puts the ogive below the mouth. A light crimp still leaves a visible gap between the edge of the mouth and the bullet. Is there a safe solution to this problem or should I abandon using this bullet for the 45 colt?

BTW I have learned much reading the posts on this site. It was a big reason I took the plunge into casting my own in the first place.

runfiverun
09-06-2012, 11:02 PM
just seat them out to the 1.6
mark a case and don't shoot it for 2 cylinders full [10 shots] keep an eye on the marked one to see if it gets longer.
i wouldn't be looking to use h-110 under them but for mild/medium loads you should be fine.
neck tension is far more important than crimp is for powder burn anyway.
but you'll know right off if you need a light crimp on them.
you can always set up your 45 acp taper crimp for these if necessary to remove case flair.

MacD
09-07-2012, 06:01 AM
Thanks runfiverun:

The marking tip is a good idea. I am using 6.6 grns of W231 which is a mid-range load. I have a Lee factory crimp die for the 45C set to medium crimp.

MikeS
09-08-2012, 08:04 AM
Another thing you could try would be to get some 45 Schofield brass. It's slightly shorter, so should be able to seat the boolits.