PDA

View Full Version : ANOTHER flint pistol!

waksupi
09-05-2012, 06:57 PM
I finished up a low budget pistol today. My brother Steve had given me some old walnut planks years ago, salvaged from an old barn in Iowa. The wood was probably from the 1830's, and has been in my shop for many years so is pretty well seasoned.
I scrounged an old barrel from 45nut, and cut out the best looking section. It was kinda rough inside.......
I took the Chambers Queen Anne lock from my horse pistol to use on this. Along with a five dollar trigger guard from Uncle Don Weberstein's Emporium, and a breech plug from TOW, I was pretty well set.
I made the thimbles, nose cap, side plate, and butt cap from some German silver I had here, and the trigger and sights from scrap steel. I need to work on that a bit, the trigger is crisp, but a bit heavier than I like.
I don't have the right size mold, but patched up some .440 RB with Levi patch just to shoot it. It needs a .490 with pillow ticking, but I just HAD to make it go bang!
I was able to keep the shots on a steel target at 25 yards, using 35 gr. 3FFF Schutzen, by the time I got back to 30 yards, the balls were on sight seeing tours of the country side. I suspect when the right mold gets here, It will shoot a bit better.

Shooter
09-05-2012, 07:17 PM
I am glad you made this one go "bang"
Building all these guns without "bang" was worrying me. :-)

Boerrancher
09-08-2012, 08:24 AM
Once again another nice looking gun there Ric. Once I get all of dad's guns gathered up and sell some of the ones that he bought because they were good deals, I am going to have you build me a 32cal flinter. So consider yourself on notice that you have at least one more gun to build. I want a maple stock, dbl set trigger, in a Shenandoah pattern. I made up my mind that my next ML was going to be one of yours. You do great work even on what you consider a "low budget" piece. Keep posting them to motivate me even more to get my cash together. I love your work.

Best wishes,

Joe

mazo kid
09-08-2012, 10:13 AM
ANOTHER fine piece of work Ric. Well done!

TCLouis
09-08-2012, 11:17 AM
Simply elegant and elegantly simple.

Nice Work!

I have tried flinchlock and need a mentor that has the experience to splain the issues and how to overcome them. Learning curve on the flint is nothing like cap gun.

gnoahhh
09-09-2012, 11:25 AM
Very nice!

Hanshi
09-09-2012, 01:11 PM
Dang! Another fine job on a gun. I like it.

waksupi
09-19-2012, 05:54 PM
I got a mold, cast up some ball, and worked up a load. .490 RB, .014 muslin patch, 30 gr. 3FFF Schutzen. It is slightly rambunctious with that load, but that is what it likes for accuracy.

This is ten shots at twenty yards. Point of aim was center. I'm not sure why I was drifting off to the left, maybe changing light, maybe just poor shooting.
After I shot this group, I went to the 100 yard target, and surprised myself by hitting it the first shot. I should have stopped there, as I missed the next one. I then went up to thirty yards, and shot all my steel targets, with no misses. I think it will shoot!

waksupi
09-20-2012, 08:31 PM
I backed up to fifty yards off hand today, shooting at my 7X10 inch steel targets. Pretty consistent hits, and think my eyesight is the weak link. I can see my score being a couple points higher in the competitions with this pistol.

09-20-2012, 09:44 PM
Boy,---------------- another nice one. Well done.

swheeler
09-21-2012, 09:43 AM
Very nice! Is that a knot and check in the left side of pistol grip, maybe just the picture. Walnut, wow gives new meaning to "barn wood":)

waksupi
09-21-2012, 09:47 AM
It's just the light.
Many of the old barns in the midwest are built of walnut, oak, and maple. Some pretty fine wood. More than a few have been restored into restaurants, and stores of various types. My brother builds furniture, so getting an old barn is a real gold mine.

swheeler
09-21-2012, 10:24 AM
It's just the light.
Many of the old barns in the midwest are built of walnut, oak, and maple. Some pretty fine wood. More than a few have been restored into restaurants, and stores of various types. My brother builds furniture, so getting an old barn is a real gold mine.

The good old days!:lol: I've seen solid walnut chair rail and wainscot in some of the old buildings in Butte, when living in Arkansas we burned red oak for heat.