PDA

View Full Version : Been thinking which is bad.

44man
09-05-2012, 11:26 AM
I started my pot and mold furnace and forgot about them while I got my internet fixed.
I had little time before supper to cast but all the time I thought about buying a video camera to record what I do. SO EASY, and not a single reject with every boolit looking the exact same. First boolits were perfect and it took little time to use a lot of lead. 440 gr boolits sure are hard on the pot level.
I also made a pile of 45-70 boolits the other day with not a reject.
I keep thinking of a casting book with a disk and maybe a loading book too. Then terminal damage in deer with different calibers, velocities and alloys.
I am just too old. Too much time is involved.

youngda9
09-05-2012, 11:33 AM
Terminal damage with different calibers, weights, velocities, alloys, and nose profiles would be the most interesting.

Casting information has already been done, and covered quite well.

44man
09-05-2012, 11:49 AM
Terminal damage with different calibers, weights, velocities, alloys, and nose profiles would be the most interesting.

Casting information has already been done, and covered quite well.
I will carry my camera this season for a start. To make a book? I don't know. I might just post here.

mdi
09-05-2012, 12:38 PM
G'head and start with the intention of making a full fledged book. You can stop/modify your compliation whenever you choose. I wanted to write a manual for rebuilding/repairing altenators. (I was an Auto Electrician for a large city utility and rebuilt/repaired/modified several hundred (mebbe thousands?) of alternators and generators. Got really involved and decided to just go with early GM, Ford and Chrysrler alternators. Finished quite well, printed a few and gave a couple to mechanics I know. But most important, I was satisfied that I did a good job...

blackthorn
09-05-2012, 01:09 PM
Go ahead and start putting a book together. If nothing else it will help keep your mind active and functioning. It is also something you can do at any hour of the day or night in any weather. The end is not always the satisfying determination, often it is the trip getting there that counts. If my memory serves, from your prior posts, you are only in your mid seventys and I am reminded of a book and TV documentry titled "Alone in the wilderness" (1+2) that airs on public television from time to time. The book and TV show were put together from the daily journals and home movies made by a fellow who moved to Alaska in his fifties and built a cabin in the bush were he lived well into his eighties. If you get the chance watching the TV documentry and/or reading the book is well worthwhile! SO---I bet you can put together whatever you set your mind to!

41mag
09-05-2012, 06:47 PM
This fall will be more or less my first big season with cast boolits. I had poured up a few and shot a few last season, but only from my 454.

This fall I will have the 41, 44, and 45 Colt out there instead, and possibly even my 45acp. When we get started up on the hogs I will touch base with you and see how you want the pictures. We have several alloys to try out in several different boolits.

With a few others helping out you could easily put something together that might help out others for years to come. I figure I at least owe you that much for all the info you have passed on to me.

Let me know.

lwknight
09-05-2012, 09:00 PM
All I can say is " Power to ya"
Kids are grown and gone.
House nearly paid off.
Savings looks good.
Still I don't have time for something like that. This forum is just my cool down time before bed.

44man
09-06-2012, 08:51 AM
This fall will be more or less my first big season with cast boolits. I had poured up a few and shot a few last season, but only from my 454.

This fall I will have the 41, 44, and 45 Colt out there instead, and possibly even my 45acp. When we get started up on the hogs I will touch base with you and see how you want the pictures. We have several alloys to try out in several different boolits.

With a few others helping out you could easily put something together that might help out others for years to come. I figure I at least owe you that much for all the info you have passed on to me.

Let me know.
That would help and even if we just made a sticky. Boolit hardness, velocity and load. Pictures of lung damage and penetration. Distance the animal went and blood trail.