PDA

View Full Version : Lost internet again.

44man
09-04-2012, 05:47 PM
Out for 3 days. I spent hours today with a great guy from my provider. He finally found it was an upgrade from McAfee blocking. We removed it and he took over my computer and installed their anti virus.
The trouble is that if you have McAfee and lose it, we can't tell you.

DukeInFlorida
09-07-2012, 01:41 PM
Years and years ago, I ran a "Bulletin Board", one of the nodes on FidoNet (precursor to the Internet)

Orion BBS 1:324/272

We were running DOS 6 back then, and all the software most of the local guys used was DOS based.

McAfee was the goto anti virus software. It was simple and effective. And, they made their name based on it.

However, over the years since then, McAfee's product has become bloated, and is notorious for causing issues with operating system updates, etc.

I left the BBS behind a long time ago, and also left McAfee's behind for the same reason: OBSOLETE!

Gar
09-07-2012, 05:11 PM
Yup, had McAfee's since the DOS years.
A year ago last April McAfee's anit-virus update took out my operating system (XP). After researching the problem I found out the my computer problems a year before that were also cause by McAfee. Got rid of it and haven't had any issues since then.

felix
09-07-2012, 05:55 PM
Run multiple CPU layers of internet using multiple ethernet routers. Don't audit for any type of virus on any machine. Save important files on a separate local device using an auto schedule. This schema gets the fastest and safest responses compatible with a home system. When doing professional work, log on to the recipient's network and let those folks worry about backup and recovery of THEIR stuff. ... felix