PDA

View Full Version : Recoil

jh45gun
07-15-2005, 12:23 AM
Just wondering I shot my 54 cal Underhammer rifle today for the first time. I had some preloaded tubes with me that had 80 grains of 777 and 425 grain Great Plains conicals. I now know why most of the short light rifles they make now have rubber buttpads on them. Or straight shotgun syle stocks. That curved brass buttplate on these guns is brutal with such light weight. The rifle weighs just under 7 pounds the shotgun is at 5 and 3/4. No way am I going to shoot that 12 guage until I come up with a pad to fit over the curved butt plate. Does any Co make one to fit over a Kentucky style stock or do I have to come up with one. I know they make them for standard shotgun stocks but these stocks are smaller so I am sure they would not fit. On a positive note the gun shot well I just shot it off hand at a target to get the peep sight on paper. On Sat I will go out and shoot it at the range to really dial in the sights and try for a group. I think I will start out at 60 grains for starters since I am using 777 which is a bit hotter than black. Ignition was positive using standard #11 caps and a very fast lock time. Looks like I got a winner here just got to tame the recoil down some. I can handle a lot of recoil with most guns but shooting this let you know you were shooting thats for sure. I showed them to my Gunsmith today and he liked them. Said the triggers felt good too so that made me feel good. Jim

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v454/jh45gun/ae9e300a.jpg

waksupi
07-15-2005, 09:13 AM
Jim, I just don't know what I'm going to do with you. You need to be shooting patched round balls in that rifle. The recoil will be much more acceptable. And just as accurate.
I'll keep trying to convert you guys to the proper projectiles for the muzzleloaders. Kind of like trying to wean some one off of jacketed bullets.

jh45gun
07-15-2005, 11:22 AM
I got a 54 cal ball shooter for that Waksupi Green Mountain barrel also one that is a fullstock but has the traditional percussion lock system only left handed and a traditional long octagon barrel. :) I built this one to shoot conicals but never dreamed that it would have the recoil it does. I may try some balls in it for grins but the twist is pretty fast for that at one in 28.

Bodydoc447
07-15-2005, 11:33 AM
This website was mentioned o the leverguns forum as a source of recoil pads for lever gun crescent stocks. Perhaps oa nice butt sheath type pad would help without permenantly altering your stocks.

http://www.levergunleather.com/

never bought anything so just offered as a place to look.

Doc

jh45gun
07-15-2005, 05:23 PM
Thanks Body Doc 447 I Know I can do some thing like that with out the dyes or the carvings. Just needed some basic ideas. Jim

jh45gun
07-17-2005, 03:00 PM
Well made some butt pads out of leather. They feel good so they should tame the recoil some. Inside the cover is some more leather and a strip of rubber like stuff that is firm yet springy.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v454/jh45gun/ButtPads.jpg

Bodydoc447
07-18-2005, 07:27 AM
Looks good!

jh45gun
07-18-2005, 04:27 PM

9.3X62AL
07-20-2005, 01:45 PM
Those sleeves do look good, JH.

As an aside to Waksupi's comment--I not only use Patched Round Ball in my T/C Hawken's GM RB barrel, it will get primitive sights installed before long. Only THB (The Holy Black), too. Adjustable sights on a M/L are like a camper shell on a Testarossa. Call me primitive......unreconstructed.....a throwback. Just don't call me late for dinner.

jh45gun
07-20-2005, 07:34 PM
All sights are adjustable some just easier than others :) I know about being traditional but I have to go with peeps these days due to the aging eyes. No fun shooting and being correct if you cannot hit what your shooting at. jim