PDA

View Full Version : Rossi/Puma 92

Dogg
09-04-2012, 02:51 PM
I need some info from you leveraction fans. Does the winchester 92/94 butt stock interchange with the Rossi/Puma 92?

Got a real good deal on a Puma 92 in 454 casull but the butt stock fit is horrendous. Called Rossi but have to send gun in and stock is $125. If it interchanges with the winchester 92/94 I will get a semi finished.
Also need a forearm hanger screw, the one on the gun doesn't reach the other side of the hanger. Whoever was the smithy at Rossi that turned this gun out and the quality control person should both be fired, something like this should have never been released for sale.

fecmech
09-04-2012, 05:13 PM
My 94 at the top tang is different than my two Rossi 92's but with a semi finished stock you will have to inlet anyway. They are very close and I think it would work given the extra wood left for fitting on semi-finished stocks.

colonelhogan44
09-05-2012, 01:14 PM
Here's one for the '92.

http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/WIN-92-PRE-64-94-STK-W-SI-p/300-100.htm

Silo65
09-05-2012, 07:12 PM
I restocked my 2010 Rossi with a shotgun style Winchester 1892 stock from Treebone Carving last winter. I had to remove considerable wood and it took awhile since I went very slowly. Fourtunately it was wood removal that was necessary and not addition. I imagine it will be the same for any 1892 stock you purchase for a Rossi 1892. Precission Gun Works does make a direct replacement but I did not want the cresent butplate.

Dogg
09-06-2012, 07:36 AM
thanks all

Dogg

Gun_Nut_2k1
12-24-2012, 05:45 AM
Boyd's has a cross reference that says fitting sanding and finish is all that is needed.

http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/Firearms-cross-reference-guide-s/210.htm

BCRider
12-24-2012, 02:40 PM
But if you have the tools and skill to tune up the fit for a replacement then why not just correct the fit of the stock..... er.... stock?

Jeff H
12-24-2012, 09:03 PM
But if you have the tools and skill to tune up the fit for a replacement then why not just correct the fit of the stock..... er.... stock?

I considered working on mine some but the factory wood isn't worth the effort. May as well put that effort into a decent piece of wood. Not being a gun-snob whining about the looks either. The wood on mine is a joke. The closest fair and honest comparison I could make is that it resembles balsa wood.

jdowney
12-24-2012, 11:18 PM
My new 44 mag Rossi has similar problems with the buttstock, not bad enough to prevent use, but a low quality job in fit. I'm planning to make a replacement or two, never done a tanged gun, but shouldn't be too hard once I work out a method. I've made several Hk 91 stocks, and this doesn't seem that much harder.

Ragnarok
12-24-2012, 11:48 PM
There is a company that offers a 'Rossi 92' wood-set...I forget the name at the moment but will report back. seems like it was a cowboy action shooting 'smith/supplier

I was/am interested in some walnut for my stainless M92 .44 mag....I just got to hunting pigs with it..and sort of forgot about new wood for the time being.

http://www.precisiongunstocks.com/contents/en-us/d70.html

here's the wood I was looking at..and will probably do in the future. Too busy skinning-up the 'Brazilian hardwoods' that grace my stainless pig-killer.