PDA

View Full Version : Buckshot and Deputy Al's Excellent Adventure

Buckshot
05-19-2007, 03:54 AM
............With my attending the Cast Boolit shoot in Winnemucca having been shot down, I still had the time off. I called Ron, and old shooting buddy and one of the original Burrito Invitational shooters. In fact I think he named it. He'd gotten fed up with California and with both his kids in college he sold out and moved to Prescott, AZ.

He'd bought a lot there several years ago for a pittance and plans on building a house on it in the next 3-4 years. I thought we might be able to get in some prairie dog shooting up around Seligman, AZ and in talking to Deputy Al he signed on to the idea. Alas and alack, the Game and Fish Dept in AZ has prairie dog shooting limited to a season. It opens June 15th so that was out.

However Ron and his wife are great people and I was determined to drive over anyway, and Deputy Al came along too. Heck we could have a Burrito Shoot in Prescott, and it would even be on the right day, Tuesday! I swung by Al's on the way out Monday and picked him and his shootin' arns up and we set sail. We had beautifull weather in the mid 80's. We took my '94 Taurus and I'm proud to report it delivered it's usual 30 mpg it gets on trips, with the cruise set on 75 mph.

Since Prescott is about midway between I-10 and I-40 we turned off I-10 just east of Quartzite on AZ-60. Prescott is about a mile or more in elevation so we were steadily climbing. Then onto AZ-71 for awile and then AZ-89 where it really got serious about mountain climbing. Deputy Al said that 89 was laid out as an excersize to see how many flat and straight sections could be avoided. Stopped at Yarnell Summit on top of the Superstision Mountains and got gas. Had 302 miles on the trip clock and it took 10 gallons even. Didn't have any time to go look for the Lost Dutchman gold mine though :-).

We were up in the high Chapparal country so the Junipers and Pin Oaks began sharing space with the increasing number of Pines. Mostly cattle ranches and I doubt it's changed much since the early 1880's. Passed through a few small neat little towns tucked back in against the mountain here and there. There was lots of volcanic activity way back when as there are basalt cliffs, plus ash and lava flows are common. The California desert is also full of this stuff, but here there were trees to camaflage it a bit.

Arrived at Ron's about 4. Dumped our junk then settled on the patio to BS a bit and have a few beers. We all decided Mexican food sounded good so we headed downtown to Whiskey Row, and a hole in the wall Mexican joint. Tuesday we fooled around a bit then headed to the Prescott Rifle and Pistol range which was JUST outside town. Shot the Burrito Match (10 rnds cast lead at 50 yards, iron sights, standing, for score) I won :-) Ron took my $3 winnings and stapled then to one of the rafters overhead 8-).

We decided to BBQ that night. Since we were busy drinking beer and talking guns and solving the world's problems, Jeannie went to the store. She came back with 4 big ole Ribeyes, baking taters, real butter, sour cream and corn on the cob. We pigged! The evenings were great with a gentle breeze, so it was perfect patio weather until bedtime.

Wednesday Ron took us around town to show us his lot and some other stuff so we played tourist for awile. Then we decided to take a tour of all the gunshops around town. Naturally Allen and I couldn't buy any guns so that made it a mild form of torture for us.

I can't remember everything I'd have liked to bought but some neat ones was a really nice Spanish Mauser 7x57 with a superb bore, crest and really nice wood, $139. Then there was a neat old M1905 S&W in 32-20 for $289, and a Colt Army DA in 38 LC for the same money. Both with maybe 90% blue. There was a 1903A1 for $685 and a couple very nice and well done Krag sporters for $250 & $275, One had the no D&T Redfield on it and I asked about buying just the sight. The guy thought I was a kook I suppose.

Then there was a L.C. Smith 12 ga double, full and mod. Nice wood and in darn good shape. It had been used but well taken care of. The bores looked like chrome. Engraving on the back action locks was still sharp and crisp. While the case colors were mostly faded, you could tell it had been. It was $650 because it had a ventilated rubber buttpad. I would have restored that dude.

Last stop was J&G Sales. They have a nice big showroom with lots of rifles and handguns. They had quite a few Winchester M70's up on one wall. I was more interested in the used stuff they had and there was a Remington 581 22RF marked $139, and a Norinco JW-15 (CZ copy) for $129. Tons of shotguns, too. Allen said it was really neat to walk in and see all the AR's and other stuff us folks in the People's Republik of Kalifornia can't have. I was in imminent siezure so we had to leave.

Had dinner that night down on Wiskey Row in the Palace Saloon. It's been there since the 1880's and is EXACTLY the same now as then, except it has electric lights now. I even had a beer from the Prescott Micro brewery called 'Palace Red' and it was actually pretty good. Some of the new beers are too hoppy and bitter for me. The Palace Red was tasty and very smooth at the same time. I'll still slug down a couple Milwaukee's Best after mowing the lawn though!

We left later then planned Thursday as we just didn't want to leave. The drive home was uneventfull and Allen makes a great traveling companion. Stopped in Quartzite for gas then drove straight on home. Wish you all could have come along.

.................Buckshot

Bret4207
05-19-2007, 07:36 AM
Dang. I wonder what my place here is worth and what I could buy out there? Good for you guys! Nice to have a little down time once in a while.

Junior1942
05-19-2007, 07:40 AM
Heck, your narration took us all along! Shame you had to pass on that pristine 93 Mauser for $139. Mine is the second most accurate rifle I've ever owned. How 'bout 5 shots in 15/16" @ 150 yards? With a 3x scout scope! My first most accurate is a 222 Rem 788.

SharpsShooter
05-19-2007, 08:08 AM
Sounds like a great trip and gunshop browse too. Thanks for the story.

SS

Pilgrim
05-19-2007, 01:02 PM
Living in Calif. has gotta be painful! Unless I'm seriously mistaken, or the laws have changed recently, you could have legally bought that rifle. Pistols are a no no, but out of state rifles are permissible. At least they are if you live in the USA. I dunno about Kalif. I recall buying a Ruger #1 .22-250 in Albuquerque 15 yrs ago or so, and there was no big deal associated with it, except getting it on the airplane to come home. What I was told over the phone by the airline, and what they required at the airline counter were different. I wound up having to buy a hardcase from them at the airport to ship the rifle. It was packaged by the dealer and well packaged at that, but not in accordance with the rules at the airline counter. I bitched and they refunded my $$ for the case. No biggy except the inconvenience that occurred at the counter. Good thing I got there early! Pilgrim

Scrounger
05-19-2007, 03:43 PM
No, adjoining states cannot legally sell even rifles to California citizens. Present California law says its unlicensed residents can only purchase firearms (rifle or pistol) from Californis dealers who have been approved and given (actually, allowed to purchase) the correct paperwork for submittal to the state DOJ for permission to purchase. He could have paid for the rifle (or pistol for that matter) and arranged for the seller to ship it to a dealer in CA who would have to send him a copy of his FFL. He would have to pay that dealer extra to ship it. Then said CA dealer would have Al fill out the paperwork and submitt it to DOJ. And charge him $50 to $100 for the "service". Ten days later, if Al has no restraining orders against him, or accusations of spousal or child abuse, and has a utility bill for the same address as his driver's license, AND buys or brings a new gunlock, he will finally get the rifle, three weeks and $100 more than when he bought it.
Residents of Nevada, New Mexico, Utah, and Colorado could have paid for it and carried it home.

NVcurmudgeon
05-19-2007, 06:12 PM
Rick, sounds like a great trip in very interesting country, and I know you couldn't have had better road trip company.

Pilgrim
05-19-2007, 06:21 PM
Residents of Washington State could also have paid for it and carted it home. That is why I noted living in Kalifornia has gotta be a pain! Pilgrim

BCB
05-19-2007, 06:32 PM
Yep, nice country side Arizona is. I was stationed in Fort Huachuca for a brief spell 37 years ago. Didn’t get to travel around much, but I sure did get a sunburn near Christmas time. We PA guys weren’t used to that thin air and bright sunshine!!! If I would have had any sense back then, I would have purchased some acreage in Arizona. I’m sure it was much less expensive than today. I think I could have got used to the horny toads—Horned Lizards and sunshine…BCB

Scrounger
05-19-2007, 06:37 PM
I thought it had to be a state which shares a common border...

nvbirdman
05-19-2007, 09:12 PM
Superstition Mountains near Prescott? When did they move them? Last time I looked they were a little bit east of Phoenix.

9.3X62AL
05-19-2007, 09:36 PM
Art got the lowdown on long guns pretty much correct--long guns don't require the second layer of address verification (utility bill, vehicle registration with address matching driver's license), but handguns do. Total PITA. The "contiguous state sale" of long guns is still OK Federally via GCA '68, but both states must approve each other's participation--and CA doesn't. Freakin' place.

Ol' Buckshot did a right fine job describing the trip, for me to try to expand upon that would be like taking spray paint to the Sistine Chapel. That L.C. Smith shotgun was in right fine shape, for sure--I need more shotguns like trout need mountain bikes, though--and I was successful in resisting temptation. Lots of interesting used guns for sale in the Prescott area shops, a thing fast disappearing locally.

Fine company, great food, and appropriate amounts of adult beverages. All that in beautiful country.......just a great trip.

MT Gianni
05-19-2007, 10:42 PM
I think that contigous states is past now and a mutual agreement to buy and to sell in each State is all that is needed. Gianni

Lee
05-19-2007, 11:17 PM
Here in OH long guns from PA is OK, not hand guns, but from what I just read, that KA krap is a R.E.A.L. P.I.T.A. Thanks Arnie, Nancy, Barbara, et. al.
What a waste, that state should just slide into the ocean. While the CastBoolits members are out of town of course..........................Lee;-)

The Double D
05-20-2007, 02:01 AM
Superstition Mountains near Prescott? When did they move them? Last time I looked they were a little bit east of Phoenix.

NVbirdman, I note that also, these two characters were lost... cross them off a persons who you would like to take a road trip with....maybe not, sounds like they found all the essentials, good food and gunshops.

Buckshot
05-20-2007, 03:02 AM
...........Yup, Nvbirdman is right about the Superstition Mountains (and where they are). I could have sworn I saw a state sign that said something about the Lost Dutchman Mine. I even mentioned it to Deputy Al. Since we were coming up on a mountain range I assumed that these were it :-). Oh well.

I forgot to mention we went to 5 different gunshops. Not sporting goods places with tennis rackets and baseball stuff, but 5 pure gunshops all within maybe 7-8 miles. Two places had some old guns (not tagged for sale) up on the wall. One place had a Deluxe 1893 Marlin with checkered pistol grip stock and forend, half octagon/round barrel in 38-55. A Sharps in 45-70, a Winchester Hi-Wal in 40-65, a 1895 Winchester in 30-40 Krag, and I forget the last rifle. Oh yeah, a S&W top break revolver, no caliber listed.

The other place had 3 up on the wall, but I only recall one and it was a Spencer rifle. Not a carbine. Two of the places had the rifles in racks right out on the floor where you could actually pick them up and look at'em. The place with the Spencer had 2 double sided racks that must have been 25 feet long. Everything from Rossi leverguns, CZ's, to M1A's.

The only way a person from California could have bought a rifle from a dealer in AZ (or anywhere else) is to have had it shipped to a California FFL dealer. Two exceptions are muzzle loaders and antiques. That Spanish Mauser was stamped 1934, so even though it was a pre-98 action design, the date is the stickler.

The 1891 Argentines are ALL dated 1891, as that is the model. Those made by Ludwig Loewe were all pre-98 and so 'Non-Guns' and okay to buy or send through the mail. Those made by DWM have to go by serial number as they did produce some AFTER 1898, and even as they are exactly the same, they are NOT antiques.

California outlawed private party sales some 15 years ago (or close to that) between resident citizens. So if your neighbor wanted to sell you his 8x57 Sporter, you'd have to go to a dealer and have it logged into his inventory, do the DROs stuff, pay the fee (don't know about sales tax) and wait the 10 days to pick it up.

................Buckshot

9.3X62AL
05-20-2007, 03:06 AM
It was my first time in that part of AZ, so I'm not sure what the nomenclature of the mountains might have been. A map check shows them to be the Weaver Mountains.

Paul B
05-20-2007, 12:02 PM
I'm thinkin' that the contiguous state thing was changed with the Firearms Owners Protection Act of 1986. A sale of long gun, IE rifles or shotguns could take place as long as it did not violate the laws of either state. Problem is, how many dealers in say Arizona know what is legal, say in Kansas? IIRC, handguns still have to be shipped to an FFL in your home state.
I think you can find the details of FOPA 1986 on the BATFE website.
Paul B.

Scrounger
05-20-2007, 12:20 PM
I'm thinkin' that the contiguous state thing was changed with the Firearms Owners Protection Act of 1986. A sale of long gun, IE rifles or shotguns could take place as long as it did not violate the laws of either state. Problem is, how many dealers in say Arizona know what is legal, say in Kansas? IIRC, handguns still have to be shipped to an FFL in your home state.
I think you can find the details of FOPA 1986 on the BATFE website.
Paul B.

That appears to be right:

(B2) From whom may an unlicensed person acquire a firearm under the GCA? [Back]

A person may only acquire a firearm within the person’s own State, except that he or she may purchase or otherwise acquire a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee's premises in any State, provided the sale complies with State laws applicable in the State of sale and the State where the purchaser resides. A person may borrow or rent a firearm in any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.

Duckiller
05-20-2007, 01:34 PM
This sounds right. After I had retired I went to Michigan for a vacation.(2000). Called DNR prior to going to check dates of early goose season. Was told it would be after I planned on leaving. Didn't take shotgun. Got there and found out goose season started while I was there. Met DNR guy and he apologized for error. Went looking for a cheap shotgun. First thing I told everyone was that I was from Calif. First shop said they couldn't sell me a gun, and I went to high school with the owner and his wife. They also didn't have any cheap(used) shotguns. Next stop was a small pawn shop. They had a $125.00 Mossberg with two screw in chokes and a case. Told him I was from Cal. Owner called whomever he called to make sure he wasn't breaking the law and he/I was told I could buy gun but it was my responsibility to make sure it was legal in my home state. Bought gun and went goose hunting. No geese but had fun. Gun stayed with brother in Michigan.