PDA

View Full Version : Beagling Update

johnho
05-18-2007, 09:39 PM
Following suggestions I beagle my 4 cavity 40 cal pistol mold i got some shim stock from work-2 and 3/1000. Did a search on the site to find out how. Found several threads and some from Veral Smith. Veral recommended using JB weld over the silicone copper.

Tried JB weld. The larger piece i placed on the bottom of the block has held well so far. the smaller ones on the edges of the top of the blocks and the one between the middle cavities would never stay on. Tried bending a larger shim around the edge of the block for better holding. Held better until mold got hotter and then they fell off too. The JB Weld had softened up.

am going to try the silicone copper next but what I did get out of the casting time until the shims fell off were great. No flashing and good fill out. I do think some of the bullets were not as concentric however but think that will correct itself when I can get the shims to stick better.

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated. I know, I think i know, it's just a matter of properly positioning and sticking the shims securely.

John

45nut
05-18-2007, 09:45 PM
Try Lee Liquid Alox, I heard Richard Lee used it with rolling papers to "beagle" a few molds.

Bret4207
05-19-2007, 07:46 AM
I used the HVAC foil tape available at Lowes in my one experiment. I degreased the area the tape went, used ether and the mould wasn't greasy in the first place, and it held pretty good. One roll would last me and everyone I know 17 lifetimes, but it's not expensive. It also works good for HVAC I'm told.

SharpsShooter
05-19-2007, 09:05 AM
I used the HVAC foil tape available at Lowes in my one experiment. I degreased the area the tape went, used ether and the mould wasn't greasy in the first place, and it held pretty good. One roll would last me and everyone I know 17 lifetimes, but it's not expensive. It also works good for HVAC I'm told.

I use the same stuff and have beagled several 6 cavity moulds and a few singles too. Once it sets with heat during the first use, it takes serious effort to remove. I cleaned the mould with Dawn dishwashing liquid in boiling water and then further cleaned the surface area to be beagled with denatured alcohol. Getting the surface super clean has solved every "no stick issue"

SS