PDA

View Full Version : Lead level test results

Patrick L
05-18-2007, 07:58 PM
I always thought I took reasonable precautions when casting/sizing etc. My last lead test, about 6 yrs ago, had my lead levels at 10. My doc says 19 or less is considered acceptable, so I'm all happy.

I had a routine physical last February, and just for the hell of it I say do the lead levels as long as you are doing the other bloodwork. The numbers come back at 15, which is still in the OK range, but they are concerned that it was higher than previously.

After a bit of thought, it occurs to me that 90% of my lead handling is done from about November to February. I do 4 or 5 casting sessions during the early winter, and build up a pile of bullets. I then weight segregate my serious match rifle bullets around January, and then lubsize and pack the up around February. I am then set for the spring, summer, and fall, when I prefer to concentrate on shooting. In addition, I did a big WW smelt this past fall, which I only do about once every 8-10 years or so. Again, I do bigger batches less frequently. Call me anal, but that's my system and it works for me.

Anyhow, after I tell them this, they suggest retesting in about 3 months, and avoiding lead as much as possible in the meantime. This I do. Got my retest results, and my lead level came back at 8.

Would the numbers change that much in such a short period? I always thought that once lead was in your system it was difficult to remove, and you needed to undergo some kind of treatments, etc?

johnho
05-18-2007, 09:16 PM
Mine just tested at 19, up from 16. did some research and found that up to 24 is cause for being careful. But in same article it mentioned that lead stays in the blood for several months, in tissue for longer (forget exact time) but for decades if it gets into bones. They do treatments if it gets up to 80. I did a google search and found a web site from the NY State department of health.

I was dissappointed and am going to get mine tested again. I took a lot more precautions like wearing latex gloves when casting, sizing and loading. Doesn't figure it should go up. Also wearing a respirator when seperating cases from cleaning media for time period between tests. May have to stop smoking cigars when i cast.

Hope this helps.

John

Dr. A
05-19-2007, 07:42 AM
I'm no physician, but am a small animal Vet in a town with a battery production company. I'm with you, and doubt that the test results are actually conclusive. Year to year, I have a varying degree of trust in testing equipment. Seeing trends helps, but with the wide range of test results you have, I'd be getting done in another 3 months. Does not hurt, and the more info you get, the more you can see a "trend". My receptionists husband works at the plant, and treats the situation as if he were entering surgery. Frequent blood tests along with gloves/good coverall washing helps keep his amount to a minimum. He is extremely clean, and the same cannot be said for all his co workers. It seems individual attention to eating, washing habits make a hugh difference. Don't wear coveralls more than once when smelting, etc.

truckjohn
05-19-2007, 11:19 PM
Good work on lowering the blood levels.
You would be surprised how low your blood lead can stay
even with lots of lead exposure -- just gotta have good hygene

You would also be surprised how high your blood leads can get
when you don't care or pay attention.

1. Huge variation in results depending on the draws:
Cleanliness of the skin is a big factor in the reading.
I read a study that indicated maybe 25% of the "blood lead"
reading came from the slug of dirty skin pushed into the needle
during the blood draw.

Wash: Scrub your skin with vinegar, then soap and water before
going to the doctor for a blood draw.... The acetic acid helps
dissolve the lead dust dried into the dead outer layer of skin.

2. Large reduction in blood levels over time with no contact:
Two factors here:
A. Your high blood lead was probably due to poor hygene during casting.... AKA eating lead (dust on lips/face/fingers then smoking, drinking, etc..)
B. Lead does actually come out of your system pretty quickly -- especially if you are otherwise "Clean" -- little ingestion of lead.

Have a good one

John

Lloyd Smale
05-20-2007, 04:52 AM
lead has a pretty long half life so just doing nothing isnt going to do much to reduce it. Lead stores in your fat cells and a blood test isnt the altimate test. Have them do a hair test on you. If youve had recent lead exposure you blood level will be high and some of it will naturally go out of your system but if its in your fat cells it takes medication to get it out. Ive had a lead level as hight as 87 and have gone through chelting theropy twice now. Its hovering around 20 right now and thats nothing to loose sleep over. Probably the biggest overlooked cause is actually shooting. Especially if your doing it indoors. Everytime this comes up you will find guys that will claim that casting and shooting arent a problem for lead exposure but dont be fooled. Ive been fighting it for years and so have two of my friends that shoot and cast alot. Ive never showed a symtom of any kind so dont think because you feel fine your are fine. Lots of things you can do to reduce it and i guess im not willing to do many of them. Wear gloves and a resperator when you cast and especially when your smelting lead as temps get alot higher when your smelting. Wash your hands and face and change your clothes soon as possible after casting smelting or even shooting. Dont eat of smoke while your casting of shooting (big laugh for me there) Lots of ways to take care of it. My way is a little different then most. Ive allready come to the conclusion that im not going to change my ways. My father bought me a top of the line resperator and it sits with cob webs on it because i cant stand to have it on my face and i cant wear gloves when i cast as it just doesnt work for me. What i did was i bought a pile of chelting pills and once a week i take a few of them and when im casting or smelting heavily i take them every day. It seems to have worked to keep mine in check. One thing i will suggest is that everyone here who casts should have theres checked at least once. Like i said it can get dangerously high without you even knowing it and believe me it can happen to anyone that shoots or casts alot. I had to shake my head a while back. Ive got a lab that follows me everywhere and he recently had an emergency operation for a blockage in his stomach and wasnt recovering right and some of his symtoms mimiced lead poisoning so i had him tested and his was high too. Probably from laying around int he barn when i cast and licking and putting things in his mouth all the time. He had to go through chelting theropy himself and now isnt allowed in the barn anymore. Probably the only caster here with a dog that got lead poisoning. Now one thing to keep in mind with all of my statement is i cast probably more then most people here do and shoot at least as much so my exposure level is probably significantly more them most.