PDA

View Full Version : Penny In The Melt

Michael J. Spangler
09-02-2012, 09:20 PM
ok so i've been saving my scrap/pure lead to be melted down and used to make some binary allow with.
i don't have much, maybe 20# or so. WW have been easier to come by for me.

while i walked away to grab some wax i let my brother in law watch over the pot. when i came back he was laughing saying he tossed a penny in :roll: pennies have zinc in them.

i know it's not a lot, and everything seemed to be fine, but could this cause an issue with the lead?

i did not find a the penny, i assume it melted, or at least the zinc did.

thanks guys!

quack1
09-02-2012, 09:23 PM
My guess would be one penny in 20 lbs of lead wouldn't make any difference.

I'll Make Mine
09-02-2012, 09:24 PM
Most likely the penny dissolved, rather than melting (zinc has a melting point a hundred degrees or more above that of lead), but that's how alloys are formed anyway. Lead will dissolve up to about (as I recall) 1.2% zinc and keep it in solution, and one zinc cent contains about 2.4 grams, or just over 1/8 ounce of zinc -- in 20 lbs, that's about .04%. You'll never notice it was there.

mooman76
09-02-2012, 09:33 PM
I'd keep the pot lead separate from other lead until you are absolutely sure you have no problem. It's not suppose to take much but if you're getting good fill out and all, should be ok.

Michael J. Spangler
09-02-2012, 10:39 PM
sweet! glad to hear it. i'll keep an eye on it. i fluxed a ton of times and kept it to the side.
i figured i would pour a few big ingots off of it. i'm going to weight them up and then i can alloy it with some tin at a later time.

thanks guys!

Michael J. Spangler
09-02-2012, 10:44 PM
this was my first time with a pot of close to pure lead too.
i noticed some gold coloration on the top of the melt. i'm sure i had it a little too hot. my thermometer was frozen in a mass of lead in my casting furnace. i guess i won't do that again

i can't wait to alloy this and try out some HP boolits

500MAG
09-02-2012, 10:46 PM
Now, toss a penny in your brother-in-laws fuel tank and start laughing.

jnovotny
09-02-2012, 11:10 PM
I don't think a penny would have dissappeared into your melt. Your BIL was probably just pullin your leg. Sometimes they just need an attitude adjustment to get them to stop messin with ya!

Michael J. Spangler
09-02-2012, 11:21 PM
no he said he really threw one in. not sure how thin the plating is on a penny, but i didn't notice it while skimming.

he felt bad and thought he was going to have to find some more lead for me. hahaha i should have rubbed it in and made him feel really bad.

OLPDon
09-02-2012, 11:29 PM
I don't think a penny would have dissappeared into your melt. Your BIL was probably just pullin your leg. Sometimes they just need an attitude adjustment to get them to stop messin with ya!

I agree with the attitude adjustment on the B.I.L. However if wife don't think he needs a adjustment then just, just, just, best write it off.......
Be glad he don't live with ya....

Don

Gliden07
09-02-2012, 11:44 PM
Why don't you take him shooting!! LOL!!

Fixxah
09-02-2012, 11:55 PM
Did you slap him?

mpmarty
09-03-2012, 12:37 AM
Rest a penny on the edge of your pot and when good and hot give him his penny back.

luvtn
09-03-2012, 12:37 AM
Yeah have him scrounge for your lead! Then take him shooting.
lt

Bob Krack
09-03-2012, 08:30 AM
Naw..... no matter how upset you are with him do NOT slap him.

Maybe a high-five to the side of the head might be OK - if ya both have a little sense of humor.

Bob

Michael J. Spangler
09-03-2012, 09:24 AM
good ideas guys.
i'll get even. we have a long history of doing stuff like that to eachother.

Jailer
09-03-2012, 10:27 AM
Did you slap him?

You're response goes well with your sig line........

blackthorn
09-03-2012, 12:09 PM
500MAG suggested to---"Now, toss a penny in your brother-in-laws fuel tank and start laughing."---OR---Just open the gas cap and stand there with a big grin and tell him you dropped a couple of hard sugar candies in there.

mooman76
09-03-2012, 12:29 PM
500MAG suggested to---"Now, toss a penny in your brother-in-laws fuel tank and start laughing."---OR---Just open the gas cap and stand there with a big grin and tell him you dropped a couple of hard sugar candies in there.

Just spill some sugar on the ground by his tank.

montana_charlie
09-03-2012, 12:44 PM
Next time you allow that brother in law near your casting setup, do it on a day when you are making bullets.

When the first 'nice one' falls from the mould, ask him to check it for wrinkles.

CM

H.Callahan
09-04-2012, 01:13 PM
he felt bad and thought he was going to have to find some more lead for me..
I LIKE this idea. Have him find you a 100 lbs or so to make up for the pain and suffering as a result!

I am always for free lead, even if one has to resort to extortion!