PDA

View Full Version : Auction Score!

huntrick64
09-02-2012, 09:39 AM
Went to an estate auction yesterday and couldn't afford any of the guns! The auction progressed to a table for "choice box" and the bid was $20. I looked down and there was a Lyman Mould-Master XX in great shape full of lead. I couldn't believe it! I snagged it up really fast for the $20. Then, when they were bidding again, I noticed what looked like a Star lubesizer. This time though, the bidding stopped at $10. I grabbed it! The bid stayed at $10 for a while so I also grabbed a box with about 15 Lyman/Ideal bullet moulds and 5 handles in it. The star is a "star" in "perfect" condition. The mould box has some awesome moulds including a 41 long colt with the stepped base and they all have been taken care of. There are even a couple of really big minnie ball moulds in there.

I noticed some other guy bought 3 of the 5000-count boxes of WLP primers for $65 per box, so I quickly said "how'd ya like to make $10 bucks?" and gave him $75 for 5000 WLP primers still sealed in the box. The primers are boxed in the same boxes I buy today so they are not very old.

I had to leave early to take my son dove hunting for the ritual "opening day". I thought things couldn't get better following the auction, but we both limited out in 1 hour!

God blesses us all, but today he gave me an extra helpin.

500MAG
09-02-2012, 09:41 AM
You Rat Fink!
Great score!

Beagle333
09-02-2012, 09:43 AM
Now that was a good day! Good job!

RED333
09-02-2012, 09:54 AM
Well "I NOW HATE YOU"JKJK
Very nice score, OL and I go to yard sales and get a score
every now and then, that is where I got my MEC 600 for 25 dollars.

Huntducks
09-02-2012, 12:16 PM
Super score and a better day.

220swiftfn
09-03-2012, 12:35 AM
Went to an estate auction yesterday and couldn't afford any of the guns! The auction progressed to a table for "choice box" and the bid was $20. I looked down and there was a Lyman Mould-Master XX in great shape full of lead. I couldn't believe it! I snagged it up really fast for the $20. Then, when they were bidding again, I noticed what looked like a Star lubesizer. This time though, the bidding stopped at $10. I grabbed it! The bid stayed at $10 for a while so I also grabbed a box with about 15 Lyman/Ideal bullet moulds and 5 handles in it. The star is a "star" in "perfect" condition. The mould box has some awesome moulds including a 41 long colt with the stepped base and they all have been taken care of. There are even a couple of really big minnie ball moulds in there.

I noticed some other guy bought 3 of the 5000-count boxes of WLP primers for $65 per box, so I quickly said "how'd ya like to make $10 bucks?" and gave him $75 for 5000 WLP primers still sealed in the box. The primers are boxed in the same boxes I buy today so they are not very old.

I had to leave early to take my son dove hunting for the ritual "opening day". I thought things couldn't get better following the auction, but we both limited out in 1 hour!

God blesses us all, but today he gave me an extra helpin.

About the Star....... So, how would you like to make $10??? :bigsmyl2:

Dan

frankenfab
09-03-2012, 01:29 AM
About the Star....... So, how would you like to make $10??? :bigsmyl2:

Dan

ROFLMAO:bigsmyl2:

bobthenailer
09-03-2012, 10:07 AM
Id be paranoid that something would happen before i got to use them ! as you have used up all of your luck for quite awhile ! Ha Ha

imashooter2
09-03-2012, 10:21 AM
That is quite the haul! Congratulations on it being your turn!

mtgrs737
09-03-2012, 12:02 PM
I call them "Red Letter Days" and it looks like you hit a "Double RLD" IMHO! Good for you! God does send us blessings!

Casting Timmy
09-03-2012, 03:05 PM
NIce score!!

huntrick64
09-03-2012, 04:42 PM
Even though I could probably double my money :bigsmyl2:, I'll just keep it and use both of them for different lubes.

I was a little worried (and still am) about what was coming next. Usually that feeling of freedom, fun, joy, and good luck, is just the slack in the rope right before I hit the end going full speed!

I pressured the Star today and set it in the direct sun on my black BBQ grill. The only place lube came out was through the die. I melted all that NRA lube from it and cleaned her up. It is just as tight as my brand new one, just $290 cheaper. No cracks or repairs have been made to it. It works great and came with a .358 die that I can always use. Not going to look a "gift horse" in the mouth, but I wonder who got his other dies. The guy cast and loaded for a bunch of calibers.

The pot works, but I haven't tested the temp dial vs. the thermostat.

This auction was nuts! I have never seen more kinds and counts of ammo at any individual's home. There was every kind of military ammo you can immagine from WWI and up. There were over 60 .50 cal. ammo cans full of boxed ammo including the old stuff like 41 LC, 32 LC, 44-40, 25-20, 30-40, and so on. All in original boxes. The problem was, the auctioneer mixed it all up in the cans so if you wanted all of one kind you had to buy 10 different cans. This also helped spread it across several people as well so not a bad idea. There were several upopened wooden crates of shotgun shells and even one wooden crate with 40 bricks of 22 longs in it. I think it went for $200. It was something I will probably never see again. The cool thing was that one or two people didn't buy up everything. There was plenty to go around.

legend
09-03-2012, 06:26 PM
Quick run out and buy a lottery ticket !!