PDA

View Full Version : New Listmember - 9x57, 8x57

Drphilwv
09-02-2012, 08:34 AM
Good morning all,
New listmember - Dr.Phil (aka wvcruffler) from the C&R group
I have a couple older rifles I would like to shoot and I think cast boolits would be a nice way to stay low pressure.
Rifle 1 - Oberndorf 9x57 (.357... Annoying. Most are .356 or .358 but I have slugged and measured twice.
Rifle 2 - 1888 Carbine sporter with the cool flattened butterknife bolt and octagon barrel. .318

So a few Q's. I was planning on making some plinking loads for the 9x57 to get it into shooting shape. I have some cast boolits likely designed for .357/.38sp. 180gr. gas check. I bought them a decade ago but am just now revisiting the 9x57 as a shooter. Has anyone used much trail boss for these applications? It seems like the lower denisty of the TB might fill the case better (more volume in 8gr. of TB vs 8gr. Unique) and give a more reliable / consistent burn.

Where is a good source of cast boolits for the 8x57J? I also have a JP Sauer stalking rifle in 8x57 JR that is miserable to shoot with full power loads, so CB would be a nicer option. Anyway, some help with these would be great. There's not a ton of load data available for 9x57 so I will chrono my loads and post them for the sake of developing some.

Thanks all!
Phil

nanuk
09-02-2012, 08:49 AM
Hi Phil and welcome.

you came to the right place.

check out some Vendor sponsors, and some of our supporting Mould Makers

there WILL be something for you.

Everyone has their own ideas on what works better, and you will also develop your own.

This place is a great resource, and there are literally hundreds of hours of reading to do.

Enjoy and good luck.

Oh, as for a .357 bore? I don't think you could have better. Many options there. I have a 9.3x57 and wish I had a 9 and a 9.5 to go with it!

again, Welcome, and Have Fun!

runfiverun
09-02-2012, 11:32 AM
the 357 bore will make things much easier.
you can easily find 358 diameter boolits.

now as far as the 318 bbl.
many boolits for the 32 win/32-40 are sized to 321 which is not too big especially with the throat shape you'll likely encounter.
you can easily size them down if necessary.

just follow the rules on the websight for the trail boss and you'll be fine.

Drphilwv
09-02-2012, 01:18 PM
the 357 bore will make things much easier.
you can easily find 358 diameter boolits.

now as far as the 318 bbl.
many boolits for the 32 win/32-40 are sized to 321 which is not too big especially with the throat shape you'll likely encounter.
you can easily size them down if necessary.

just follow the rules on the websight for the trail boss and you'll be fine.

Huh, I have a closet dwelling M14 Remington in 32 Remington. Can double-duty the boolits. I have quite a bit of brass but haven't ever fired the rifle.
Phil

runfiverun
09-02-2012, 04:37 PM
yeah it's all in the measuring.
look at the throat area as well as just the bbl measurements.
the 323447 from lyman is a 8mm mauser loverign boolit the newer ones barely squeak out 323 and can easily be sized down to 320.
i use an old ideal single cavity 32 win boolit design in my remington 700 8mm mauser as my accuracy-go to higher vel-hunting boolit as it fits better than the lyman or the noe 8mm molds i have.
the noe is a 4 cav and takes tumble lubing like a champ so is a lightweight accurate enough pile of boolits quickly plinker. [and is my core mold for my 357 half jaxket boolits too]
the lyman 2 cav is in between those two, good nuff for stuff but has a rounded nose.