PDA

View Full Version : Ranch Dog hanging up his guns?

rintinglen
09-02-2012, 03:09 AM
I read with dismay on his website that Ranch Dog was in the process of closing down his business. If there is anything that he made that you want, you better go there now and order it. I missed the boat on his 311-170, but managed to order some sizers.:shock:

blikseme300
09-02-2012, 09:17 AM
What? Say it ain't so. Visited his store and yes, he is closing down soon.

Get your molds while you still can...

Bliksem
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ben
09-02-2012, 09:20 AM
This message to his customers is on his web page right now :

Over the course of the next few months, I will be in the process of shutting down this business. It has been a enjoyable venture but I need to make time for the more important things in my life; my family and the land we live on.

My inventory will be limited to what is in stock with no further inventory ordered. If you have a question about the inventory level of a particular item, check the item's product page as it is kept up to date.

Thank you for your business, it has been a pleasure serving you!

Elkins45
09-03-2012, 09:19 PM
Guess I need to pick up a spare 30-165 in case I goof mine up. It's nice to be able to crank out 6x of that bullet.

TXGunNut
09-03-2012, 10:28 PM
Bummer. Really like his designs and enjoy doing business with him.

FergusonTO35
09-03-2012, 10:31 PM
Oh man, I guess I better place an order. He is one of the finest gentlemen in shooting and reloading I've ever dealt with.

Dutchman
09-04-2012, 01:59 AM
I just ordered 3 Lee lube-sizing kits:

1 x .258 Bullet Sizing (258) = $8.00
1 x .313 Bullet Sizing (313) = $8.00
1 x .323 Bullet Sizing (323) = $7.03

That's cheaper than making them from scratch.

Dutch

hanleyfan
09-04-2012, 11:09 AM
I wonder if Lee will pickup Ranch Dog moulds after He shuts down and sell them?

MT Gianni
09-04-2012, 11:38 AM
I wonder if Lee will pickup Ranch Dog moulds after He shuts down and sell them?

If not I think it would be a great business opportunity for someone needing a part time income. I am sure that Ranch dog is not hanging up his hunting guns, but any business takes time away from home.

Clyde
09-04-2012, 11:43 AM
Thanks for the heads up, it gave me the opportunity to pick up a few things that I had let slide.

GRid.1569
09-04-2012, 02:30 PM
Thanks for the heads up, it gave me the opportunity to pick up a few things that I had let slide.

Yes, thanks indeed... I'd looked at a few of RD's offerings and though "Mmm Yeah maybe..." but after hearing this I've taken the "leap of faith" and ordered a couple of things.

It's a real shame we're losing an entrepreneur in our world of cast boolits... still we have to respect RD's wishes to be with his family...
(& if you make a return, you'll have good followers... )

Best Wishes....
GRid.1569

FergusonTO35
09-04-2012, 02:43 PM
Unfortunately Lee isn't big on doing special order anything unless you pay a big fee. I contacted them to see if they could make me some two cavity versions of RD designs. They said it would cost a $175.00 setup charge for each design, more than most custom mold makers charge. I really like Lee molds but the limited factory selection sucks.

GRid.1569
09-05-2012, 04:25 PM
I've gotta say.. I've had good feedback from Michael on my first (& only) order from RDO... it'll be a great loss to us all when the final "toll of the bell" comes...

Get it while you can... it ain't gonna last long... sadly....

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
09-05-2012, 05:52 PM
Haven't used any of the RD products, but when suppliers like RD and Bruce (Babore) drop out of production for any reason, it is a loss to us all!

Guess we had better be happy for those who still help us out, one that quickly comes to mind is the White Label Lubes.

I Wish Michael the best! I have been the owner operator of a small business, and no matter what the obamanation says, it is just flat a LOT OF WORK!

CDOC

GP100man
09-06-2012, 07:23 AM
Sad to see ,but understandable .

The only constant is change .

TAMU74
09-06-2012, 11:55 AM
Since I just got back into reloading and casting and on a very limited budget; I lurked around this forum before joining and was impressed with what others said about his molds,etc. I saw a chance to get one of his 350gr .45-70 molds on EBay cheaper than he sold them for and bought it. There doesn't seem to be much info for reloading 350gr. bullets around and since I wanted to use milder loads than what he showed on his site, I emailed him and asked if he had any info for reduced loads. Remember I wasn't one of his customers. He corresponded with me several times and sent me a whole lot of data and some great information for someone new to reloading the .45-70. That, ladies and gentlemen, put him at the top of my list of great people with which to deal and as soon as paday came around I ordered the Lee sizer to go with the mold. I am glad I got a chance to deal with him and I wish him all the best in the future. I hope he stays around on this forum because his knowledge is invaluable.

Char-Gar
09-06-2012, 01:41 PM
This is the 2nd. time he has shut down his business. If history, repeats itself, we may see it rise from the ashes again.

texassako
09-06-2012, 02:22 PM
I am glad I was able to do business with them before they closed up shop, having just started casting and searching for molds. Hopped on over to their site to make sure I had all the pertinent info/drawings/loads for the .258 mold downloaded and printed and noticed it was already sold out. I wonder if that sort of information will be left up or hosted elsewhere?

JonB_in_Glencoe
09-06-2012, 02:23 PM
My suggestion to anyone loading 357M, 41M, 44M, 45LC
is to order the "Rifle Style" Lee FCD from RD before they are all gone.
they are the best way IMHO to crimp castboolits in those calibers for rifle or revolver.
Of course you can always custom order them through Lee...More $$$ though.

The biggest thing I'll miss is RD's QA service he provides for his Lee custom molds.
He deals with it when Lee doesn't hold the spec...that's Priceless on a lee mold.
Jon