PDA

View Full Version : Stuff and things

Blammer
09-01-2012, 09:56 PM
Ever decide that your mancave it a bit cluttered and decide to sell some stuff?

I started down that path to sell some stuff and then realized I have a bunch of stuff that I find valuable that others don't. Kind of depressing when you want to get some bucks.

Maybe it's just the stuff I want to sell that is not valuable, I want to keep the good stuff even though I don't need or use it anymore.

I have a whole pile of $5 stuff I'd like to get rid of, but if one person wants only one item, it'd be too expensive to ship.

anyone else have this problem?

I must have 20lbs of beeswax that I'll never use... :)

Stonecrusher
09-01-2012, 10:10 PM
I'm like that myself. In fact I had one guy tell me what I had was nice but most of the people that really appreciated items of that ilk were under little white crosses! Mostly salesman's talk I think, lots of people appreciate quality.

wgr
09-01-2012, 10:28 PM
i never get rid of anything. but should

Mk42gunner
09-01-2012, 10:52 PM
Even worse is selling stuff and then buying the exact same thing the next year for twice what you got out of the old one........

Robert

Catshooter
09-01-2012, 11:07 PM
Yep. And I also have a big block of bees wax I'll probably never use too.

Cat

GOPHER SLAYER
09-01-2012, 11:26 PM
I sold twenty LBS of beeswax on this site. If I remember correctly I got sixty bucks for it.

plmitch
09-01-2012, 11:55 PM
Yes Sir, always end up with too much stuff around the office. I get rid of it on the PIF as much as I can, not really worth my time selling it.

Bad Water Bill
09-02-2012, 03:51 AM
TELL ME ALL ABOUT IT

I have lived in the same house for 40 years.

As an X rockhound ,lapidary,silversmith etc there is over 5 TON of rock,slabs mineral specimens stockpiled. Today no one wants to handcraft anything or pay for it.

I used to breed killifish so now have around 100 tanks and all the rest of that STUFF.

Now lets talk about camping gear and ALL of the fishing gear. 2 canoes and their related STUFF.

Oh did I mention I started casting my own boollits, reloading and throwing the finished products at a silly paper 100 yards away from me. And that was over 40 years ago.

Also there are 2 1981 VW pickup diesels sitting in the garage with all of the STUFF to make them run again.

connecticut-yankee
09-02-2012, 04:40 AM
Cat

Check your PMs

Yankee

Taylor
09-02-2012, 06:34 AM
Been there,done that.Wife talks me into getting rid of stuff.Then I need it. I have learned to keep my stuff.

Bill,stuff sure does accumilate after a bunch of years don't it? I have an old postal jeep with all the stuff to make it run.Have building with nothing but Harley parts,panhead,shovelhead,some still in the wrapper.Can you believe the wife wanted to have a yard sale with my harley stuff? Ain't gonna happen!

WILCO
09-02-2012, 06:57 AM
i never get rid of anything. but should

Same here. It's rough having a life and getting involved with many hobbies/interests. :mrgreen:

bob208
09-02-2012, 07:13 AM
seams like if i have it and want to sell it it is a bar of brass. if someone else has it and wants me to buy it. it is a bar of gold.

0verkill
09-02-2012, 08:08 AM
Aren't all reloaders and casters also hoarders by default?

Bad Water Bill, you are a master and could have taught Sanford and Son a thing or two in junk collecting.

Blammer, list your stuff here. Someone may decide 5$ per item on your particular lot is the deal of a lifetime.

44man
09-02-2012, 09:15 AM
Yes, so true. I have an 80's Old Town wood canoe, new electric motor and tons of camping stuff including a Eureka 12X12 space tent in perfect condition. A huge amount of radio control planes and on and on.
I have no idea of value or how to sell them without a huge loss.
I can't ship this stuff. The attic is full of toys that might be worth thousands.
I read about a guy that bought a toy for $10 and it eventually brought $$$$$$.
It is hard to sell a $5 item and pay $10 to ship it. It is hard to buy it too after paying shipping.
I also have an Evinrude 4 horse engine that folds up to fit a little plastic case. Super for the old Volkswagons.

Bad Water Bill
09-02-2012, 09:16 AM
Aren't all reloaders and casters also hoarders by default?

Bad Water Bill, you are a master and could have taught Sanford and Son a thing or two in junk collecting.

Blammer, list your stuff here. Someone may decide 5$ per item on your particular lot is the deal of a lifetime.

Well I could add tools bought and still have while working as a cabinet maker,aircraft electrician, machinest,antique car restorer, and the list still has about 40 more years of STUFF to remember.

I shudder to think about the task of cleaning house to move out of
Illinois.[smilie=b:[smilie=b:[smilie=b:[smilie=b:

Plate plinker
09-02-2012, 09:30 AM
Better get started selling now or somebody will have an auction later. Sell it, get the money and enjoy while your still top side.:-)

Digger
09-02-2012, 09:58 AM
Aw com'on guys ...sounds like we have some candidates for guest on "American Pickers" tv show....
Now that would be fun to watch ... with some of what you guys describe that you have....:popcorn:

Kraschenbirn
09-02-2012, 10:24 AM
Spent most of yesterday cleaning/(re)organizing the old Craftsman rollaway toolbox. Decided that since I've sold the Wrangler and don't do much work on other people's airplanes these days, it might be a worthwhile project to get it all sorted out. I swear, by the time I finished, I'd culled out enough spares and duplicates and what-not to assemble a pretty fair 'walk-around' tool kit.

Today, I'm gonna attack the rest of the 'man-cave' workshop...Lord only knows what I may find. Maybe, along with toolbox odds and ends, I might put together enough for a table at one of the neighbors' garage sales...but, were I to do that, I'd probably just turn around and use the money to buy more lead or another mould or, maybe, that M48 Yugo that a member has listed in 'Swappin' & Sellin'...

Bill

Bad Water Bill
09-02-2012, 10:32 AM
Better get started selling now or somebody will have an auction later. Sell it, get the money and enjoy while your still top side.:-)

Just to prove how hard it is to get rid of STUFF, I had someone on this site send me a wish list of brass. I drove 100 miles to pick up 360 rounds of older once fired military 30-06 brass for $16.00 and went thru my stash and priced the brass at about 1/2 of what I paid for it YEARS ago. I sent him the quantity and TENTATIVE prices. A week later he still had not responded to me but had posted every day on this site.

Long story short I still have some of the brass. Sold a bunch to friends at the local range for more than I had quoted the member and all were very pleased at the price.

In the mean time I got an answer from the member saying I had no understanding and a few other nasty things.

If you can not sell once fired 357 starline brass at .05 each it is time to take it to the recycler and avoid the headaches and expense.

Blacksmith
09-03-2012, 01:42 AM
Bill

If you think Lapidary is heavy, I used to do it too and one of these days I'm going to set up my shop so I can teach some grandchildern who don't care. Well take up blacksmithing with needing anvils , forges, and stock to work on it gets heavy in a hurry.

Don't forget those projects waiting for the time and inclination to get done. I know I could fix that if I can find the right part. And those things we are keeping for the parts they contain so we could fix something that might break sometime. And then there are those extras we buy for spares or the next project that we can never seem to find so we have to buy more and a couple of extras. How big is your miscelanious hardware box?

Every time I get rid of something I need it either next week or next month.

fatnhappy
09-03-2012, 01:54 AM
so..........
I've been trading PM's with a guy about borrowing a .45 mould. Just to confirm the mould numbers I popped open the ammo cans and went through them.

7 moulds for the .45 acp. only 2 sets of duplicates from saeco vs. lyman or rcbs
14 moulds for .30
10 moulds for 7mm
12 .44 moulds. this one is interesting because I have standard and HP moulds for several designs.
only 4 moulds for calibers I don't reload or own firearms

so........
I counted my dies earlier today for a post about lee dies.

I only have 3 sets of .308 winchester dies, down from 5.
I have a lot of duplicate sets. Not necessarily a bad thing.
I have 4 sets for calibers I don't own or reload. Worse, only 2 of those are calibers for the orphaned moulds.

so...........
I went through my other reloading gear. Suffice it to say I can ride out a second Obama term if the electorate is that stupid. I might even be able to ride out Andrew Cuomo as NY's governor, and he's guaranteed for another 20 years.

and yet I'm still cruising the swapping and selling section for deals!

Blacksmith
09-03-2012, 09:23 AM
Fatnhappy

Sounds like you got at least 4 more guns to buy. Maybe you can make a deal and buy the gun and all his casting stuff and you'll keep getting molds you have to buy guns for.

fatnhappy
09-03-2012, 01:08 PM
working on it.

JonB_in_Glencoe
09-03-2012, 02:38 PM
I started down that path to sell some stuff and then realized I have a bunch of stuff that I find valuable that others don't. Kind of depressing when you want to get some bucks.
Maybe it's just the stuff I want to sell that is not valuable, I want to keep the good stuff even though I don't need or use it anymore.
I have a whole pile of $5 stuff I'd like to get rid of, but if one person wants only one item, it'd be too expensive to ship.
When I get the gun room decluttering bug, I sell the "good" stuff here, and I put the stuff that's just barely too good to throw away into my gunshow box. I am a vendor at one Local annual gunshow...it's coming up, end of sept. Anyway, I price that junk cheap, no postage for anyone to pay, most of it is carried out the door by someone else, the rest ends up in the colliseum's trash can...and it gives me a reason to be a vendor and get the early gunshow deals only vendors get.

Last year, I had a couple large items;

1. a large old commercial buck mount (shoulders on up), that I got stuck with at an auction, it needed some cleanup and maybe some touch up, but was complete, it had the front hooves as coat hooks. I brought it to the gunshow, priced at $25 with a sign that said, "Bring Bucky home" lots of people looked at old bucky, maybe brought people to my table...but he ended up antlerless in the colliseum's trash. I held firm on the price, cuz I thought the antlers were worth that price for knife handle material.

2. a full tanned Horse hide with hair still intact. It was also a auction thing. I was gonna use it to reupholster an old rocking chair, but the leather was just too thin and cracking dry. It sold early friday night to another vendor for $25. I hadn't even priced it yet, and it would have been in the trash with Bucky if not sold.
Jon

MT Gianni
09-03-2012, 02:41 PM
it really ticks my wife off that by her vision I am so unorganized yet I can find anything I want to rather quickly.

Norbrat
09-04-2012, 01:09 AM
Here in Oz the term "Man Cave" is only just starting to gain ground. However, these so-called Man Caves are usually little more than a male version of a lounge or sitting room, filled with big screen TV's, couches, maybe a bar or a fridge, and crappy macho decor from "Gift Shops for Men"; they are not workshops.

Real Aussie blokes have sheds!

Three golden rules of sheds, which I do my best to live by: :grin:

1. Never thrown anything away.

2. You can never have enough tools.

3. You know where everything is by instinct.

bob208
09-04-2012, 06:50 AM
i have 2 barns full one 40'x28' with a 40'x16' add on. another is 36'x 76'. both are full. top of a 3 car garage full. just got a 8'x14' building it is full.

Moonie
09-04-2012, 12:48 PM

Well poo, if I had known this I'd have stopped by on my way through Asheville yesterday...

ErikO
09-04-2012, 01:13 PM
Man, all I have in my basement is stuff we had no room for elsewhere or things I need to cart off to the dump.

Next garbage day the guys with the truck are going to be glad they have that arm to lift the cans. ;)

Plate plinker
09-04-2012, 02:42 PM
i have 2 barns full one 40'x28' with a 40'x16' add on. another is 36'x 76'. both are full. top of a 3 car garage full. just got a 8'x14' building it is full.

I know your kind, you need help. :kidding:

bob208
09-04-2012, 05:21 PM
yes a little help and i could get more in the one barn.

now i will say none of it is junk. there are three vertical mills one harazonal mill. four southbend lathes a 12" shaper a 6"x18" surface grinder. all are running. welders weldtables. classic cars,trucks and motorcycles. parts and tools. and other stuff.

forgot the tractors

Plate plinker
09-04-2012, 10:08 PM
Any Oliver's?

bob208
09-04-2012, 10:21 PM
allis-chambers b12, d14 and a d15 with loader.

i do like olivers they are the best green tractor.

BD
09-04-2012, 10:27 PM
But there is an up side! This spring I moved home to Maine and started into sorting through all the junk in my barn. I was a little nervous as the State of Maine has done away with lead wheel weights. After collecting up all the odds and ends of old lead and range scrap, I managed to come up with over 400 lb of alloy for just the cost of one lino pig to sweeten the pot. I also found a full gallon paint can of H&G 200 grain #68s I'd cast years ago, and another 6 lb jug of HPC-18, (surplus 231), that I'd forgotten I owned. So, it's not all bad!
BD

Bad Water Bill
09-05-2012, 12:52 AM
Any Oliver's?

A little off topic but.

In 1959 Oliver decided they needed a corporate aircraft. They purchased a WW2 twin engine Beechcraft and it was my job to remove EVERY inch of wire as well as every thing else electrical and equip her with all new parts from tail light to A/C and radar. Then I had to produce a working schematic of the finished A/C.

Believe me they did things up in a big way.

Plate plinker
09-05-2012, 05:57 PM
I'm looking at restoring gramps mod 70 row crop, it's a total mess right now.