PDA

View Full Version : Another sea run brown

JeffinNZ
09-01-2012, 05:53 PM
Team.

Just got back from the river with another 3lb sea run brown trout. Slower morning but fished a piece of the river I had not paid attention to before. Sort of a back water on the edge of the main current. Very quickly had a fish follow my whitebait streamer right up the rod tip. As the water a milky in colour I decided to change to a brighter pattern and put on an orange Parson's Glory. A couple of casts later and with the lure in sight a fish came up behind it, paused for a nano second then took the streamer only just shy of the rod tip. He she is:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v505/JeffinNZ/Fishing/Sept2nd12.jpg

This is my home tied Parson's Glory in orange:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v505/JeffinNZ/Fishing/orangeParsons.jpg

Not a bad start to fathers' day here in NZ. Off to a BBQ lunch now.

nicholst55
09-01-2012, 06:01 PM
Very nice fish! As they say, 'a bad day fishing is better than a good day at work!'

Dennis Eugene
09-01-2012, 06:38 PM
Your worst day fishing is better than your best day at work! Dennis

caseyboy
09-01-2012, 07:04 PM
Hey Jeff,

Nice fish. I do a lot of beach and estuary fishing for sea run cutthroat trout. The areas I fish, you sometimes get the unexpected pleasure of either pink or coho salmon.

A pleasent way to spend the early morning hours.

Mike

smoked turkey
09-01-2012, 07:18 PM
Jeff that is a very nice trout. Your Parson's Glory is beautifully done. I haven't tied in a few years. I visited with the manager of the fly fishing section at the Bass Pro in Branson, MO the other day. Between our discussion and your postings of tying and fly fishing, my tying thoughts are stirring again. Lets see, what can I give up so I can have time to do some of that again?

onceabull
09-01-2012, 08:00 PM
Partner and I each hooked one of those over on the West Coast (a little south of Hokitika ) that may still be headed for Australia,trailing leader.. Had to break off for fear of losing fly line,too... Did manage to stop a couple in the 6 Lb Range...

JeffinNZ
09-02-2012, 04:43 AM
Partner and I each hooked one of those over on the West Coast (a little south of Hokitika ) that may still be headed for Australia,trailing leader.. Had to break off for fear of losing fly line,too... Did manage to stop a couple in the 6 Lb Range...

Yes, once the sea run season is in full swing there will be double figure fish in the river. I've got a month or so practice on the smaller ones until then. Fishing 6lb spinning gear today but for the bigger fish may go to the 12lb salmon rig I have on an ABU 6500. The bridge area not withstanding, the water is all pretty clear of major hazards so at least a fish can get a decent run and still be able to be brought back.

I have to say it's exhilerating to see a fish actually take the lure right in front of you. One of the benefits of the milky colour water is that they can't see me easily.

Forgot to mention my lead weight for casting the lure. It's a .38cal wadcutter! I was given a heap and don't shoot .38cal so in the lathe they go, hole down the middle, perfect light tackle sinker.

Had some of the fish for lunch and more this evening.

popper
09-02-2012, 01:24 PM
JeffinNZ - That seam between fast and slow water is great. Stay on the slow side, they sit and wait for fast stuff to get slowed down and don't have to fight the fast water. Back side eddys are sometimes good, they wait for one to get out of the fast water. I use a 20# saltwater leader with a 6-12# short section so I don't lose everything on a break-off. Break -off usually occurs at the surgeons knot between the 2. I've still got a Garcia 3000 I had loaded with Royal Bonnel 30# line. Stuff was limp and sized like 12# mono. They don't make it anymore so I changed to 50# braid. Ever use the Davy Wooten knot for tying on flies? Only lost 1 in 3 yrs to knot failure, that was last week. I use 2 final twists on it, seems to hold better on larger lines. Wait till you see them jump out of the water to get your fly - before it ever hits the water! Hard to bring those in. Or use a floating ant, they suck them down and you don't even see the fish unless the water is really clear. Or that guy that got the near-record (18#?) Tanycomo trout on 2# spinning rig a couple yrs ago.

bobthenailer
09-03-2012, 09:18 AM
What kid of gun did you shoot those odd shaped bullets from ! perhaps a fly gun ?