PDA

View Full Version : Cancer strikes twice.

Adam10mm
08-31-2012, 12:00 PM
Grandmother got diagnosed with pancreatic cancer a month ago. Spread to her liver. She won't make it to Thanksgiving, they say. Family is coming to terms with it and preparing accordingly. Trying to save up money to head to Green Bay and say my goodbye with the family before it's too late.

This week my father in law got diagnosed with bladder cancer, stage 1. Going over treatment options. They say of the cancers to get, it's the most treatable. He's been a pretty active 70yo, but this really slowed him down.

Tough road ahead.

WILCO
08-31-2012, 12:07 PM
Sorry to hear of this Freakshow. Stay strong, be the rock for the family.

skeettx
08-31-2012, 01:28 PM
I sent you a PM
Mike

ErikO
08-31-2012, 01:31 PM
Spend as much time with your gramdma as you can and help her stay as comfortable as her cancer will allow. Glad to hear they caught your wife's father's cancer in time.

Prayers inbound for you and yours. :(

gray wolf
08-31-2012, 04:55 PM
Sorry to here this, you didn't ask for a prayers, but I said them anyway.
It's just what I do.

Olevern
08-31-2012, 07:13 PM
Life aint always beautiful; prayers going up to a Father who understands and cares.

Echo
08-31-2012, 07:45 PM
A chum pointed out that, one of the most demanding factors at this stage in our lives is Dealing With Loss. He has walked in 3 of his chums and found them room temperature. I have lost 3 of my immediate family in the last 2 1/2 years (wife, daughter, and oldest son), leaving me with one son and three granddaughters. Could be worse.

Lloyd Smale
09-01-2012, 07:14 AM
Sorry to hear it adam. As ususal if theres anything i can do just ask!

snuffy
09-01-2012, 05:06 PM
Freak, hang in there for your grandmom. It's terrible to watch anybody wither away from cancer. I just went through this with my brother.

As for the bladder cancer, my oldest brother has had it for over 10 years. They keep track of it via the cystoscope, taking tumors out when they are found. He has lost one kidney to it, but otherwise it doesn't affect him much.

nicholst55
09-01-2012, 06:02 PM
Prayers sent for you and your extended family.

Adam10mm
09-21-2012, 11:09 AM
Things are looking up a bit.

My grandmother is finally eating on her own again after a few surgeries and a feeding tube almost a month. She's home and is managing along just fine, I guess.

My father in law had the bladder cancer removed with surgery and just had some more stuff done with a kemo wash or something they called it. It hasn't grown back, but it's being monitored.

snuffy
09-21-2012, 12:57 PM
That's great news! Praise the lord! Hang in there Adam, never cease praying.

Rafe Covington
09-21-2012, 07:47 PM
Sorry to hear that, Pancreatic cancer took my wife.

Rafe

Adam10mm
11-29-2012, 02:35 PM
Well, she's taken a turn for the worse and she's on the way out. Kidneys are starting to fail. I've got to make a decision about going down to see her one last time, whether to bring the kids or just myself go down. Checking with my employer to see how many days I have of personal time. We were hoping to be able to get her to make it until Christmas Eve, when the family celebrates at her house. Looks like that's not going to happen.

Olevern
11-29-2012, 04:50 PM
Godspeed and prayers for the family.

blackthorn
11-30-2012, 12:52 PM
From our house to yours, prayers and sympathy in this trying time!

Adam10mm
12-03-2012, 02:49 AM
Made the drive down to Oshkosh, WI to see Grandma this weekend. What is normally a 4hr drive took 6hrs due to the dense fog until northern WI. Once I hit Crivitz, it cleared up and I could drive at highway speed. Spent the night at my mother's in Green Bay. Went to see Grandma Sunday morning. She's hanging in there. The look on her face when she saw me was priceless. Spent a few hours with her, then she napped as I spoke with my Grandpa. I wanted to get back home to my family before dark. I helped Grandpa give her the morphine dose, get her some fresh ice water, and turn her on her side. I gave her a big hug, kiss on the cheek and told her I love her and that I wouldn't mourn her death, but promise to celebrate her life.

Lloyd Smale
12-03-2012, 06:22 AM
Prayers continue for your family pal. Anything else I can do just ask

smokemjoe
12-03-2012, 09:24 AM
I am thinkings of yous also, prayers work, Iknow. Joe

GT27
12-03-2012, 09:33 AM
Prayers sent your way from my family,hard things to have to deal with.It opens your eyes to how important health really is,my opinion it's what makes you rich in this crazy,greedy world we live in...health and love for one another is whats important!

waksupi
12-03-2012, 12:46 PM
I'm damn tired of cancer. I've lost two friends in the past month, and now my girlfriend is diagnosed with leukemia.

Crawdaddy
12-03-2012, 02:36 PM
prayers sent freak... hang in there.

Adam10mm
12-11-2012, 01:37 AM
Talked with my mother this afternoon. Grandma made it through last week and the weekend with very bad stomach pain. Took her to the hospital to have some tests done. Cancer has now spread to her stomach. She's back at home on oxygen. 73 years old and she's going down fighting.

Adam10mm
12-13-2012, 01:45 AM
Well, 12-12-12 was the day. Grandma's dead. Sad she's gone, glad there's no more pain. 73 years old and I got to experience 31 years of her life. She died the way she wanted. At home with her husband (Grandpa) holding her hand.

Funeral is Saturday, so I'll be taking my last day off on Friday to make the drive down to Oshkosh. Kids are young enough they don't and won't remember, so just Kristina and I are going down.

Goddamn, am I ever going to miss her laugh.

obssd1958
12-13-2012, 03:10 AM
Sorry to hear that, Adam. Prayers to you and your family.
Drive safe going down and coming back from the funeral.

Don

MT Gianni
12-13-2012, 10:19 AM
Sorry to hear of your loss. It sounds as though she will be missed and remembered.