PDA

View Full Version : Got your Cabin Fever shot yet?

Jim
08-31-2012, 08:12 AM
Have y'all noticed an increase in sarcasm and unecessary comments in the last few weeks or am I imagining this? I truly do hope I'm wrong here.

Guys, I'm asking you respectfully, PLEASE, think about what you're about to post before you hit that submit button.

There's a thread goin' on right now about speculation that we're gonna' have a long winter. Cabin Fever can come on you without notice or precursory symptoms and it's fully manifested before you know it.

All we have is each other. We need to remember that and treat each other with the dignity and respect that we would want to be shown.

Last winter was a bad one. Let's learn from that and see if we can weather this coming winter without all the bickering and snide remarks. As I said initially, I'm ASKING this with the utmost sincerity and respect.

Thanks, guys.

btroj
08-31-2012, 08:27 AM
I don't mind a bit f sarcasm, I am guilty of it often.

What bothers me is the "my way of the hiway" attitude. The idea that casting or shooting has a single right answer.

I will be the first to admit that there are people here who I tend to listen to intently, others I tend to ignore.

Jim, I think what you are asking for is civility. Be polite.

Jim
08-31-2012, 09:39 AM
I don't mind a bit f sarcasm, I am guilty of it often.

What bothers me is the "my way of the hiway" attitude. The idea that casting or shooting has a single right answer.

I will be the first to admit that there are people here who I tend to listen to intently, others I tend to ignore.

Jim, I think what you are asking for is civility. Be polite.

Yes sir, that is correct. Thank you for clarifying that for me.

linotype
08-31-2012, 09:55 AM
You made a good point, Jim.

I remember a quote from the play "Harvey" where the main character said, "Years ago, my mother used to say to me, she'd say "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so so smart, or oh so pleasant." Well, for years I was smart... I recommend pleasant. You may quote me. "

Yes, I recommend pleasant. :-D

WILCO
08-31-2012, 11:43 AM
Guys, I'm asking you respectfully, PLEASE, think about what you're about to post before you hit that submit button.

Sometimes something will slip past my submit button finger, but most times I self moderate. Just figure I'd rather be known for good posts and straight shooting than a run-of-the-mouth troll with no substance. Thanks for bringing attention to this Jim. I'll moderate myself a little more.

Wayne Smith
08-31-2012, 11:53 AM
Full Moon is a'comin. And I'm on call!

Olevern
08-31-2012, 04:05 PM
Full Moon is a'comin. And I'm on call!

Special rates for members?

smoked turkey
08-31-2012, 08:07 PM
I notice that as me and many of my friends who getting to an older age (gracefully I hope) that most of us are not as healthy as we used to be. We have lots of aches and pains and many times don't feel the best. Add to that this pitiful economy, elections, bad news on the world stage, etc. All those things have a bearing on how we react to comments, situations and the like. What Jim says also comes into play and probably makes the situation even worse. I take what Jim and others have said to be some good advice that will help us continue to be a close knit group. I'll certainly do my part.

PS Paul
08-31-2012, 08:16 PM
Smoked Turkey, you hit the nail on the head with this one: the pressing matters of the country and world are weighing heavily on all of us who are good, honest Americans. Definitely some credence to what you are saying.
I find this forum ALONE is a good way for me to get respite from the complications in the world and the niceties, respect and comeraderie found on this forum is what brings me back over and over..... A good bunch of good folks.

Stonecrusher
08-31-2012, 08:36 PM
I find this forum ALONE is a good way for me to get respite from the complications in the world and the niceties, respect and comeraderie found on this forum is what brings me back over and over..... A good bunch of good folks.

Amen to that!

smokeywolf
08-31-2012, 08:37 PM
Jim,
Thanks for the reminder. And your right to remind us. I've noticed that as I have gotten older (old) that I've become more cynical, less tolerant, more critical, less patient, more opinionated, and just plain a crotchety old fart.
Being rude, disrespectful, or just plain angry toward people who wish to strip us of our constitutional rights is one thing. But, even though we may disagree on more minor points of our legal and political system, we on this forum, are for the most part, on the same side; don't infringe on our constitutional rights.

smokeywolf

firefly1957
08-31-2012, 11:06 PM
Jim I hadn't really noticed it here but it has gotten real bad on Facebook and in the mainstream media much of it is due to the election cycle I am thinking. I do tend to ignore posts that are out of line maybe I have just overlooked them out of habit. You do have me thinking about a couple posts as I type and talk of backhoes.........I am thinking you have it right more than when I first started typing now there are a few places were things are worse then I like.

Fishman
08-31-2012, 11:26 PM
Good post Jim.

bearcove
08-31-2012, 11:38 PM
Very valid point. In the past I made a rude post directed at Jim. Called him a name. I've regreted it since and have changed my tone on the forum.

I'd also like to say to Jim that I apologize for doing that and that it was wrong.

This is a great place. I spend 3/4th of my internet time here. I hope it stays a great place.

Sincerly, Rod

Jim
08-31-2012, 11:51 PM
Bearcove, I'm sorry to hear that's following you around. I swear on my father's grave, I have no memory of that at all.

waksupi
09-01-2012, 02:01 AM
I'm glad to see people "self Policing" theirselves. The staff gets REAL tired of dealing with **** in The Pit. People who are obviously intelligent, and have things of value to contribute to the shooting world (that IS what we are all here for, by the way) just sometimes go off the deep end in there. We have been doing some clean up, some by warning, some by abrupt and final removal from the board. We are going to get this place back to where it is not a daily headache to staff. It just plain doesn't pay enough to put up with the never ending line of BS we get in PM's, and what shows up on the board. If it wasn't for Ken having more forbearance than some of us, we would have removed about a dozen members post haste, and we would have been able to tip back in out hammocks with our mint juleps, and enjoy the rest of the summer. It is always the same ones we get reports on that we have to deal with. When do you say, enough is enough?

This is an unofficial rant.

archmaker
09-01-2012, 08:37 AM
A monk was once asked why do they bow when they enter the temple, his reply was "because things just work better when we bow"

Entering this site and respecting everyone first goes a long way.

gray wolf
09-01-2012, 11:29 AM
OK---OK Guilty as charged.
Good post Jim, I guess we need to be Slapped upside the head once in a while.

Gliden07
09-01-2012, 12:23 PM
I think this is a Great forum!! I've gotten nothing but respect from members on here (even though I'm very new to this!)! But like all Public Forums I'm sure theres "Trouble Makers" for lack of better terms. Another thing too, written words have no personality. I think sometimes what happens is someone types in a response and its taken the wrong way, and that could start it. I always try to ask and respond to posts here with a respectful tone. Sometimes I will reread them before I post just to try and avoid problems. I do love Sarcasim sometimes though!! LOL!!

pmeisel
09-02-2012, 08:39 AM
"A soft answer turneth away wrath.."

Jim
09-03-2012, 05:29 AM
I think this is a Great forum!! I've gotten nothing but respect from members on here (even though I'm very new to this!)! But like all Public Forums I'm sure theres "Trouble Makers" for lack of better terms. Another thing too, written words have no personality. I think sometimes what happens is someone types in a response and its taken the wrong way, and that could start it. I always try to ask and respond to posts here with a respectful tone. Sometimes I will reread them before I post just to try and avoid problems. I do love Sarcasim sometimes though!! LOL!!

There is most certainly a time and place for it. Like the ol' cowboy said, "Smile when you say that, son."