PDA

View Full Version : what's brass worth?

nelsonted1
05-17-2007, 07:26 PM
My friend in MN needs 45 acp to feed his Thompson. He rents it during a gunshow in MN. Been shot so much there isn't even a ghost of rifling in there. He needs as much acp brass as he can get.

I frequent an indoor range with brass laying all over the floor. I bought a five gallon pail full for $25. Got over thousand of acp in it. My bud pays 4cents. He and his wife have taken me skiing to Colorado three times and other places. Bought an endless supply of guns with his ffl for nothing (when I lived in MN). I owe him for the rest of my life so he'll get the brass for free.

Now i have thousands and thousands of 9mm and 40 cal brass. Tumbled sort of. I live in an apt and don't want lead dust in here so have tumbled with soap and water in my big gem polisher.

What is the brass worth? I am going to ask the dealer about selling it back to him cleaned and in 100 round bags. I earlier asked him why he doesn't resell the brass sitting in pails. He said he had no one to do it. He clearly wants cleaned sorted brass.

What is 40 cal and 9mm and some hundreds of 38 357 worth? If he wants them tumbled with corncobs that is no problem at all since they are clean now.

TED

cabezaverde
05-17-2007, 09:52 PM
Put a watch on a few ebay auctions for what you have. That will generally show you the high end of the price range if you want to sell it for reloading. Make sure the quantities are somewhat similar (1k or more) as shipping is a factor that buyers consider.

Scrap value is much, much less.

trickyasafox
05-17-2007, 10:15 PM
ar15.com has the highest turnover of brass sales i've seen. whenever im looking to sell common caliber brass i go there.

9mm and 40 range from 20-25 per k plus shipping, though i think thats a bit high, lots of people pay it readily there. sometimes the 9 goes for a bit less, call it 15 per k.

38sp i couldn't tell ya, sorry

ChrisK
06-29-2007, 02:57 PM
Where do you sell the uncommon calibers of brass? I have lots of brass from odd calibers that I plan on selling shortly.

ron brooks
06-29-2007, 03:04 PM
FYI I got $1.60 a pound for scrap brass in Amarillo a few weeks ago.

cohutt
06-29-2007, 06:58 PM
FYI I got $1.60 a pound for scrap brass in Amarillo a few weeks ago.

<<Gasp>>

Berdan primed, of course. Right?

imashooter2
06-29-2007, 07:34 PM
Where do you sell the uncommon calibers of brass? I have lots of brass from odd calibers that I plan on selling shortly.

Go where the shooters are... Cowboy brass, the SASS wire, Mauser brass the Mauser forums, etc.. Heck there are a number of guys here that like the esoteric stuff. Post what you've got with a price you are willing to part with it for and see what happens.

ron brooks
06-29-2007, 07:35 PM
<<Gasp>>

Berdan primed, of course. Right?

Berdan primed, Some range pickup that was too coroded, been bent or steped on, and of course Ameritech. Also a lot of .22 LR cases. Had a milk jug full was 10 pounds worth.

I don't get rid of good brass, heck, if I had aplace to keep it I would save the 22 stuff just in case I wnated to make 22 jacketed out of them. If you look in the dictionary that is my picture they have under Packrat. :-)

Ron

cohutt
06-29-2007, 10:05 PM
Berdan primed, Some range pickup that was too coroded, been bent or steped on, and of course Ameritech. Also a lot of .22 LR cases. Had a milk jug full was 10 pounds worth.

I don't get rid of good brass, heck, if I had aplace to keep it I would save the 22 stuff just in case I wnated to make 22 jacketed out of them. If you look in the dictionary that is my picture they have under Packrat. :-)

Ron

That's a relief, was worried a caster could get so lead obsessed they get their "brass *****" card pulled.

Freightman
06-30-2007, 10:38 AM
Ron which scrap yard did you sell them at? I have a 5 gal bucket of burdan primed brass to get rid of.

ron brooks
06-30-2007, 11:10 AM
Amarillo Recyling Center (ARC), it's on old 66.

Ron which scrap yard did you sell them at? I have a 5 gal bucket of burdan primed brass to get rid of.