PDA

View Full Version : Why are leaves falling?

44man
08-30-2012, 10:55 AM
My Chinese Cherry is bare and the Poplars have lost most leaves. This is too early! What are we up for?
Last year we had heavy snow in Oct that ruined trees.

Wayne Smith
08-30-2012, 11:02 AM
How dry has it been? That is one reason.

fishhawk
08-30-2012, 11:03 AM
Been dry here and leaves are turning and falling already.

GRUMPA
08-30-2012, 11:15 AM
I pointed out to the other half that the weather patterns aren't the same as in years past in our area. Our house faces north and when the monsoon season starts the wind would always start come in from the north till the clouds built up and then would switch direction and come in from the south and start raining.

This year seems to be an odd one with the winds mostly coming from the west and later in the day shifting and coming in from the south. There have been a few storms or cells as we call them move from west to east and I've never seen that before this early in the year, usually that type of movement comes during the cool down period which around here doesn't start till the end of Sept.

I've also noticed that the tips of the branches that are on the native trees (Utah Juniper) seem to be dying off. Believe me they've been getting enough water on there own with the rains we've been getting lately. And I can't really figure that one out as the non-native species of trees we planted are doing just fine with no sign of dropping there leaves when they feel like going dormant. The temps here seem to be on the normal side but the humidity feels like it's been higher than normal. The other half thinks that this year is going to be one of those longer than usual cold years, so this year we started early and got our firewood all cut and stacked.

Jim
08-30-2012, 11:49 AM
The trees are yellowing and loosing leaves already here in Floyd.

runfiverun
08-30-2012, 12:52 PM
things are fairly normal here.
the wheat harvest was a very good one this year and a little early.
most of the farmers cut back on potato production and went for wheat this year.
the apple trees got frozen right after blooming so very few apples. [not a major crop just an observation]

44man
08-30-2012, 01:09 PM
We have had a lot of rain, about normal. I can't cut grass some days because of wet dirt.
I used my vacuum the other day and filled it full to the top with leaves and grass.
Then I got hung up on a big rock at her flower garden, stopped everything. I had to take the deck off and sharpen the blades. The cheap Harbor freight angle grinder does a good job.

wv109323
08-30-2012, 01:26 PM
Cherry trees get a unique disease that causes the leaves to fall off early. They need to be sprayed to rid them of the disease. You will need to contact your agricultural guy . I can't remember whether you need a fungicide or insect control to correct the problem. I have the same problem with cherry fruit trees.

Freischütz
08-30-2012, 04:41 PM
Pretty normal here. Leaves are turning and some falling. A couple of nignts ago the temp was in the high 30s.

Jailer
08-30-2012, 04:43 PM
I'm seeing the same thing here with all the leaves turning and falling off. I have an apple tree in my yard that doesn't have a single apple on it. It's been a long, hot, dry summer here.

MtGun44
08-30-2012, 05:41 PM
Drought around here, but only some trees are dropping part of their leaves.

Bill

JeffinNZ
08-30-2012, 06:15 PM
Because you have not changed to energy efficient light bulbs. That's why.

punkinlobber
08-30-2012, 06:33 PM
Pretty dry here. Leaves will probably drop early.

dale2242
08-30-2012, 06:35 PM
The Turkey Vultures are either gathering to migrate south a month early or there is something REALLY LARGE that is dead in the woods behind the house.
It`s not normal for 18-20 of them to gather unless the are getting ready to migrate.....dale

Bob Krack
08-30-2012, 11:07 PM
Here in central Ohio, the firefly season was extremely short. I saw NO "June bugs", maple seeds have been flying and cottonwood seed bloom only lasted two days (much earlier than usual).

Mildest winter I ever saw here (of maybe 30 years) last winter.

Maybe those Astronuts are messing with the moon again?

Bob

parrott1969
08-30-2012, 11:16 PM
Farmers Almanac is calling for an early and hard winter. Wife says they are calling for 3-4 big snows for north MS. I sure hope they are wrong. I HATE BEING COLD!

Weathermen are saying we are in a EL NINO year.

MtGun44
08-30-2012, 11:23 PM
Dang, Jeff - and I was thinking it was WEATHER! Silly me. :kidding:

Bill

Blacksmith
08-31-2012, 12:34 AM
The leaves are falling here also which is very early and we have had enough rain, better than some years. Last winter was very mild but summer has been HOT.

We never had weather like this when Bush was in office!

rockrat
08-31-2012, 06:22 AM
Trees are stressed from the heat/drought. Our oak brush is already starting to turn, and the aspen won't be far behind. Probably 3 weeks early

montana_charlie
08-31-2012, 12:58 PM
Four or five nights ago, people living along the Sun River had a frost that killed their tomatoes.
It was totally unexpected for this time of year.

I think the leaf fall we are seeing is due to drought.

CM

JeffinNZ
08-31-2012, 03:46 PM
Dang, Jeff - and I was thinking it was WEATHER! Silly me. :kidding:

Bill

It's true Bill. The ice cap is melting and it all our fault. Make the trees get nekked early.

On a serious note however, I have an maple that drops very early and I believe it's the dry location the tree is in.