PDA

View Full Version : My New portable Shop

Down South
08-30-2012, 07:25 AM
Well, since I'm stuck away from home 90% of the time, I decided to purchase a 10'X12' Gazebo with zip up walls. At least I can get out of the weather and or cold to cast & reload.

bob208
08-30-2012, 09:30 AM
skeeter skelton wrote about casting around the campfire and loading with a 310 tool. looks like you did an upgrade.

WILCO
08-30-2012, 11:17 AM
That'll work just fine.

**oneshot**
08-30-2012, 08:31 PM
Just don't melt your roof. Just kidding. I thought of doing the same thing then sectioned off a corner of my large shed.

Down South
08-30-2012, 09:37 PM
Just don't melt your roof. Just kidding. I thought of doing the same thing then sectioned off a corner of my large shed.

I thought of the roof with a propane heater. I have one of those heaters that stand up with the burner about 5.5' off the ground. the center of the roof is about 9.5' high. the burner has a shield over it so the heat doesn't go straight up. As long as the heater is on low, I should be alright with the heater sitting in the center of the Gazebo. I'll have to do a "feel" check the first time that I use it.

I have a shop at home with most of my casting/reloading equipment set up. I brought a couple presses over here plus a bunch of my casting stuff since I'm here so much.
the prolem is, in the summer, it's to dang hot. The winter, the wind is always blowing and it rains a lot.
This set up will allow me to at least get out and do some some work during the winter months. I'll get caught up on casting at least.

10x
09-01-2012, 10:48 AM
I thought of the roof with a propane heater. I have one of those heaters that stand up with the burner about 5.5' off the ground. the center of the roof is about 9.5' high. the burner has a shield over it so the heat doesn't go straight up. As long as the heater is on low, I should be alright with the heater sitting in the center of the Gazebo. I'll have to do a "feel" check the first time that I use it.

I have a shop at home with most of my casting/reloading equipment set up. I brought a couple presses over here plus a bunch of my casting stuff since I'm here so much.
the prolem is, in the summer, it's to dang hot. The winter, the wind is always blowing and it rains a lot.
This set up will allow me to at least get out and do some some work during the winter months. I'll get caught up on casting at least.

Must be nice to live in a sub tropical climate. That propane set up wont work here as the propane doesn't vaporize below - 30....

Down South
09-01-2012, 10:00 PM
Must be nice to live in a sub tropical climate. That propane set up wont work here as the propane doesn't vaporize below - 30....

I've been in your neck of the woods before. We have a project on the North Slope. I was in Ak last year in November but never got further than Anchorage. One of the engineers from that job on the slope transferred to Houston a couple months ago. He claimed that he had enought of the cold up there.

10x
09-02-2012, 08:56 AM
I've been in your neck of the woods before. We have a project on the North Slope. I was in Ak last year in November but never got further than Anchorage. One of the engineers from that job on the slope transferred to Houston a couple months ago. He claimed that he had enought of the cold up there.

There is a real benefit to weeks of minus 30F to minus 45F in the winter. It keeps out the scum and the riff raff.

BTW I live some 400 miles east of Ketchican AK in one of the coldest winter climates in the world. It is also some of the best hunting left in the world.

Not to mention the wife got a phone call from the neighbor down the street complaining that she has to wash her windows. The window is some 6 feet from the ground and has the paw and nose prints from a bear that was inspecting her house cleaning. That makes for a very interesting walk to the pickup after dark.
My wife has had to chase bears off the driveway in the past in order to get to her car...

MtGun44
09-02-2012, 11:09 PM
Black or griz?

Bill

10x
09-02-2012, 11:52 PM
Black or griz?

Bill

Likely a very large black bear.
Or an exceptionally tall black bear.

plmitch
09-03-2012, 12:21 AM
Those gazebos are just the ticket for a lot of things. I send one out to each jobsite for my crews to use in the hot weather and have used one to smelt under.