PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have experience with .454 Casull and Lee c452-300-rf

Blackcat
08-30-2012, 12:10 AM
Ive been looking at mould options now for a while and getting lots off good advice. I would like to go with one of the custom designs down the road but for now many ppl suggest I go with a lee mould till I get some casting experience. Im looking at the c452-300-rf with gas check. As stated in earlier post my barrel diameter is just slightly under .452.

I was wondering if this is a good boolit for my gun overall.
I would like either a WFN or a LFN but this lee boolit is listed as just RF I have heard someplace that this round flat nose is infact a long flat nose... can somebody please clarify this for me.

At what point is a RFN considered an LFN ?

If I wanted to eventually go for a custom .300 grn mould over the Lee precision c452-300-rf is there anything that can be done to the design of this bullet to make it more accurate to warrant a custom mould or is this design about as good as it gets for a .300 grain in a RFN WFN LFN type boolit ?

Sorry about the sloppyness of this post I just got off work and im beat.

Dale53
08-30-2012, 12:33 AM
Up front - I am prejudiced in favor of this mould (the Lee C452-300-RF). Frank Siefer and I designed the similar Lee C430-310-RF for the .44 Magnum. It is a stellar bullet. Lee has now offered several take offs of this mould including the C452-300-RF.

If the dimensions are correct for your revolver (and from your description, it appears to be) you'll find this bullet to be just about what you are looking for.

I would call this bullet more of a WFN than LFN. I believe LBT named these noses and bullet designs and they may be copyrighted.

At any rate, try this one out and let us know what YOU think after trials...

Dale53

Blackcat
08-30-2012, 12:35 AM
Thank you very much ! This sounds like the way to go.

rbuck351
08-30-2012, 12:58 AM
That's the boolit I shoot in my LSI Puma in 454 at 1950 fps. It's a good design, shoots as well as I can and you can't beat the price.

bobthenailer
08-30-2012, 07:17 AM
A friend has the Lee 300 gr rf and he is happy with it !
I personaly have never shot it ! i do however have 3 moulds for the 454 Casull a Mountian Mould 260 gr gc LFN & a 275 gr TC pb and a LBT 300gr gc LFN, all are very accurate from 3 different handguns , the LBT 300gr gc LFN is the hands down most accurate, inch groups or better are possible at 50 yards with a scope from the bench .

Bob Krack
08-31-2012, 12:00 AM
I cast some for a member here (Uncle Bill) and seem to remember only good reports from him. I kinda think he is on the road right now (?) but still drops by here. He shoots that boolit sized at .452 in a Taurus "Raging Bull".

Bob

08-31-2012, 06:10 AM
That's the boolit I was shooting when I put 5 thru a single hole in the paper. It casts well and shoots well but the GCs are about $0.03 each and take time to install.

I'm now shooting an RCBS .45-270-SAA. It's a bit lighter than I'd like but it's a PB with no bevel.

300 grain PB Keith style SWC or LFN. O think the Casull starts to really shine with 300gr boolits.

RobS
08-31-2012, 10:43 AM
The design works well and is accurate. There's lots of bearing surface to the boolit and is balanced well for a heavy. The only thing that I don't like is the shallow crimp grooves but they seem to work alright. I know a forum member who had milled out the GC section of the mold and has shot the PB version with good results but sense he has moved to custom mold designs.