PDA

View Full Version : My first Caribou

SPRINGFIELDM141972
08-29-2012, 01:04 PM
I wanted to show off my first caribou. No, I didn't take it with a boolit. That's why I didn't think I should put it in the CB Hunting section. I just have'nt found the right load combination for two hundred yard shooting yet. Maybe next year.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_3669503e4a5da7b13.jpg ('http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=6485')

It was great experience. I love this place.

Regards,
Everett

alrighty
08-29-2012, 01:17 PM
Nice Caribou and thanks for sharing.I would love to take that trip one day.I did get drawn for an Elk hunt this year and that will be my first actual big game hunt.I will have to use the j words , just bought a .308 Norma mag and will barely have enough time to find a good load to use.I would love to use cast but the guide states that a 200 yard shot is the norm.I have not enough experience casting a rifle load except for a 45/70 TD.
I don't see a scope , was you able to get fairly close? again Congrats and thanks for sharing.

Trey45
08-29-2012, 01:22 PM
Congrats! That's a fine looking animal you have there. It appears your rifle is iron sights, an Extra helping of Kudo's for you!

runfiverun
08-29-2012, 04:19 PM
looks right out of velvet, nice and symetrical too.

waksupi
08-29-2012, 04:22 PM
Real nice!

1Shirt
08-29-2012, 04:42 PM
Pretty decent looking boo!
1Shirt!:coffeecom

Love Life
08-29-2012, 05:04 PM
Very nice!!! That is a beautiful background as well.

SPRINGFIELDM141972
08-29-2012, 05:39 PM
Your observations are correct, no scope. The old girl wears a Lyman peep sight.
This was a single bull. There was no herd. A friend and I spotted this bull on the side of a mountain and had a 1500 yard stalk down to him after going around the back side of the mountain. I was able to get a 175 yard shot from across a pretty deep ravine. He was faceing me on the first shot which landed low at the bottom of his chest. The second shot was on the money as he quartered away from me. He took five steps and crumpled.

Thanks for all the kind remarks. I'm pretty proud it.

Regards,
Everett

TJF1
08-29-2012, 07:38 PM
Tahat is a nice caribou

punkinlobber
08-29-2012, 07:42 PM
Tasty!

BD
08-29-2012, 09:36 PM
Nice caribou! I've always wanted to try an early season, (warmer), caribou hunt.
BD

bowfin
08-29-2012, 09:40 PM
Good for you!

How was the weather / bugs / wildlife / fishing / camping scenery?

See many other caribou?

fouronesix
08-29-2012, 11:06 PM
Very nice! Thanks for sharing. Most assuredly not in SE Alaska. Pretty big open tundra. Fly out drop maybe? Love hunting those caribou out of a drop camp and mano-a-mano on foot.

SPRINGFIELDM141972
08-30-2012, 12:05 PM
Very nice! Thanks for sharing. Most assuredly not in SE Alaska. Pretty big open tundra. Fly out drop maybe? Love hunting those caribou out of a drop camp and mano-a-mano on foot.

I took this bull north of GlenAllen, near Summit Lake. It was not a fly in. We drove in and set up camp. It would have been too much ground to cover if we did it all by foot. We had to search for the animals, there was no herd. We used four wheeler to get us within a mile and a half of the animal(s). Believe me, the terrain we covered by foot was rough enough. lol

Good for you!

How was the weather / bugs / wildlife / fishing / camping scenery?

See many other caribou?

The weather was rainy and cool. The bugs weren't too bad as long as the breeze kept up. We only saw three caribou, 1 cow and two bulls. My friend and I took both bulls. No fishing on this trip. We only had the weekend and had to be back to work on Monday. The scenery here is beautiful, almost unbelieveable.

Regards,
Everett

fouronesix
08-30-2012, 02:13 PM
I took this bull north of GlenAllen, near Summit Lake. It was not a fly in. We drove in and set up camp. It would have been too much ground to cover if we did it all by foot. We had to search for the animals, there was no herd. We used four wheeler to get us within a mile and a half of the animal(s). Believe me, the terrain we covered by foot was rough enough. lol

Regards,
Everett

I know exactly where you were at. Driven by there many times. Ate lunch and stretched the legs at the little cafe place a couple of years ago. You are right, no herds (at least this time of year). The caribou are scattered all over that general area so you really have to hunt for them. A close friend lives at Copper Center and got a good one out of there about 5 years ago- said it was tough hunting-- where even finding bulls is iffy. Good going!

Almost a small community there during caribou season and again during the winter sports activities.

Firebricker
08-30-2012, 11:16 PM
Congratulations that's awesome ! Like a lot of east coasters I dream of taking something bigger than a whitetail. FB

waksupi
08-31-2012, 01:04 AM
Congratulations that's awesome ! Like a lot of east coasters I dream of taking something bigger than a whitetail. FB
To take nothing away from the OP, I have shot elk, bison, and bear, but when it gets right down to it, my favorite quarry is still a whitetail buck. He is the hardest of all to hunt on his own terms. Don't worry about hunting anywhere else. If you can kill a white tail buck consistently, especially if in his bed, you are a hunter supreme, and can take any game, anywhere in the world.

ErikO
08-31-2012, 01:12 PM
Lookit the roasts on that one! Nicely done. :)

SPRINGFIELDM141972
08-31-2012, 02:00 PM
To take nothing away from the OP, I have shot elk, bison, and bear, but when it gets right down to it, my favorite quarry is still a whitetail buck. He is the hardest of all to hunt on his own terms. Don't worry about hunting anywhere else. If you can kill a white tail buck consistently, especially if in his bed, you are a hunter supreme, and can take any game, anywhere in the world.

Waksupi, You are correct in the statement above. Basic woodsmanship and hunting are a set of skills that are simply adapted to fit the immediate circumstances. If you are a good hunter of a wary animal like the whitetail, then you will be a good hunter of any wary animal. Each and every harvest is a gift that you have to work for, and is something to take pride in.

Regards,
Everett

RugerFan
08-31-2012, 02:31 PM
Nice bull! My friend's brother took a good bull in 13A on 10 Aug.

SPRINGFIELDM141972
08-31-2012, 03:09 PM
Nice bull! My friend's brother took a good bull in 13A on 10 Aug.

Nice. This was one was 13C. A couple of friends are headed back up there this weekend for moose. I hope they get a couple. I would like to try to make up some Italian sausage using caribou, moose and bear. Kind of a "trifecta sausage".

Regards,
Everett

BruceB
08-31-2012, 03:28 PM
We lived for several decades in the Northwest Territories of Canada. In most years, the basic big-game license entitled the hunter to one moose, a black bear......and three barren-ground caribou. Two additional caribou tags could be had for $5 each. In some years, we were allowed TEN caribou, although we never bothered killing that many (twenty is a bit excessive for one family!)And, when you have ten or a dozen caribou down on a frozen lake at twenty below zero (or colder), one REALLY has his work cut out! One positive factor is that in cold weather and snow the carcasses remain surgically clean...no dirt or flies.

My old M700LH .30'06 has been used to kill well over 100 caribou over those decades.....caribou meat is one of the FEW things I miss about the north. We lived on caribou, as southerners live on beef. It's a delicacy in my book.

There certainly wasn't any "hunting" involved; it was just an exercise in meat-gathering. Our animals had little human contact and showed almost no fear, even after the shooting started.Often, we had to be wary of shooting through an animal and wounding another, as sometimes we were shooting into a herd....this was a concern with my favored Nosler Partitions.

That is a nice bull!