PDA

View Full Version : Lurkers!

44man
08-29-2012, 12:03 PM
I wish they would come on and provide useful help.
We are a wonderful community here for information. We should welcome them if they would provide.

Trey45
08-29-2012, 12:16 PM
I editted the OP, 44man if you need me to explain why I deleted the bait, send me a PM and I'll explain it to you.

44man
08-29-2012, 12:47 PM
I editted the OP, 44man if you need me to explain why I deleted the bait, send me a PM and I'll explain it to you.
That is fine, you understand.
Nobody should hold back. Please offer everything you have. A new poster is valuable.

Wayne Smith
08-29-2012, 12:58 PM
There will always be lurkers. Some come only to learn, some come from curiosity, some only want to observe and not be involved. That's fine, not everyone wants to be involved in everything.

Jim
08-29-2012, 01:02 PM
Exactly. We should be honored that they think this is the place to be to learn what we have to offer, whether they post or not.

miser
08-29-2012, 03:32 PM
when i read this post i found it kind of odd. I am still learning about reloading have only been at it for a year or so. Probally would not have much to add but I have learned so much from reading these forums. But you can be assured when I am sure of what I say you will hear from me.

Jim
08-29-2012, 03:48 PM
There ya' go, Miser, good attitude, bud! [smilie=s:

Blacksmith
08-29-2012, 04:06 PM
If you can't help with reloading or casting people often look for other advice in the Humor and Off Topic section or just post a good joke. You can always add to the Loob Groove thread.

runfiverun
08-29-2012, 04:17 PM
i would love some good jokes...
and the discussions about cars, trucks, boats, dogs,kids,homework,electrical,whatever.
is entertaining and educational.

ErikO
08-29-2012, 04:21 PM
Some of us lurkers have high-ish post counts. ;)

Stork
08-29-2012, 04:39 PM
While I don't usually log in, I'm usually checking out the site several times daily. Without signing in. Its tough to be at work and just have a couple minutes to update with the new posts, hence my normal "Lurkiness". The other thing I prefer is the format when I click on todays posts without signing in. I see the topics and any that are interesting I can click on. If I sign in and click on 'today' I see every individual post, without them being gathered under the original post heading. I may be able to correct this by modifying my preferences but have not seen the way to do it yet.

While I have been casting for several decades, it wasn't until I discovered this site that I really began to understand a bit more of the art of "laying down the silver stream", and still think of myself as a beginner. I've heard it said that the good Lord gave us 2 ears(or eyes in this case) and one mouth for a reason, listen twice as much as you speak. Another one I like is far better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool, than to open it and remove all doubt.

Not that I have seen any of the regular posters exhibit a haughty, know it all attitude. Far from it. I have seen extremely polite, informative reply's to the beginner questions that are posted. A lot of which I never thought to ask.

I appreciate the site.

Al

JeffinNZ
08-29-2012, 06:12 PM
Is there not enough of us running at the mouth already? LOL

Moonie
08-30-2012, 01:35 PM
Keep in mind that when someone new posts a question everyone gets to learn, well as long as the thread stays on track.

:groner:

HORNET
08-30-2012, 04:05 PM
Threads stay on track? On HERE?? Perish the thought...

big dale
08-30-2012, 04:11 PM
I am a lurker most of the time and it seems like I have joined a few threads from time to time. One that I have enjoyed very much lately is Jeff in NZ's threads about tying and fishing his streamer flies. I can just imagine the fun he has "gathering" fly tying materials by using boolits that he casts himself. HBe sure knows how to.....

Have fun with this stuff.

Big Dale

sdcitizen
08-30-2012, 04:31 PM
I surely can sympathize with miser, the knowledge base on here is incredible. Like he says, when I feel I can confidently state something, be assured that it will happen. Also planning a write-up, just waiting on funding for one more set of dies to make things happen.

Theunsb
08-30-2012, 04:41 PM
New to casting and read related and so not related articles when I have a few minutes. Only post when I need advice.
Powder my side of the pond differ vastly from yours thus molds, casting, lubing and leading problems or solutions what I read up on.
My knowledge of the subjects very scary.
Nobody learns while writing, at least not me.

JeffinNZ
08-30-2012, 06:17 PM
I am a lurker most of the time and it seems like I have joined a few threads from time to time. One that I have enjoyed very much lately is Jeff in NZ's threads about tying and fishing his streamer flies. I can just imagine the fun he has "gathering" fly tying materials by using boolits that he casts himself. HBe sure knows how to.....

Have fun with this stuff.

Big Dale

Thanks Big Dale. It's true. Shot the bunny, tanned the pelt, cut it up into strips for streamers. I've also been know to stop at the side of the road and pluck feathers from dead harrier hawks. :Fire: Waste not, want not.

Bad Water Bill
08-30-2012, 07:12 PM
To me years casting counts SOME. If you have been casting even a week you just might have picked up on something that OLD TIMERS have forgotten and others take for granted.

Jump right in and tell us about it.

After all we can not REALLY bight you.:bigsmyl2:

runfiverun
08-30-2012, 07:21 PM
powder names might vary but i'd bet burn rates are quite similar.
we cross over with adi,norma powders quite readily.

Norbrat
08-30-2012, 07:31 PM
There is some research out there about lurkers and that they can be still considered particpants even if they do not post.

Here is one document, a bit long winded but has some interesting points to make. http://pre2005.flexiblelearning.net.au/resources/lurkerstoposters.pdf

And from Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lurker

"The size of the community (number of members) can also affect the amount of lurking that takes place. The data from Nonnecke and Preece (Nonnecke & Preece 2000) show that as the number of members in a discussion list rises, the percentage of lurkers also rises. However, this may actually be a desired effect, as "high posting levels could create chaos," (Nonnecke & Preece 2000) within the community if every member was posting daily."

Blacksmith
08-31-2012, 12:46 AM
New to casting and read related and so not related articles when I have a few minutes. Only post when I need advice.
Powder my side of the pond differ vastly from yours thus molds, casting, lubing and leading problems or solutions what I read up on.
My knowledge of the subjects very scary.
Nobody learns while writing, at least not me.

The rest of us learn when you are writing. I would like to know more about what is the same and what is different in your part of the world. Tell us about what powder choices you have.

armexman
08-31-2012, 05:46 PM
Gentlemen, that would be the amount of posts I would have made had I posted every single time I have learned something (but not all) about casting from every poster to this site. I guess I respond in my mind and also say "thanks, I learned something from you" every time I have come to this site.
To the point our IT service center knows that during breaks and Lunch I am on this site only, not some sick joke or half-naked babe site.
I will respectfully and knowledgly remain a Lurker. Gracias

oldscool
08-31-2012, 11:57 PM
As a newbie, I learned not to say that I was not impressed by the coax press. Been lurking here for a long time, and had a GOLDEN BOOLIT member try to slap me down for bad mouthing MY coax, when I was just saying I was not impressed. I have run across this type of ineffectual insulting intimidation on many boards where someone with an A personality slicks into a community board and gets his 1000+posts no matter their relavence,and feels they are king of the hill. I will not deny them their doo[smilie=w:, but may or may not agree or respect their blather. I don't know what the case is here with this poser.

I have a lot of toys, and the coax is not the most "spensive" nor desireable one pull press I own. My evaluation should not be shouted down by an established member and his cheerleaders.
That is MY OPINION, not rote, but hey, I don't have 10000000 posts, so this one might not count. I don't post often, but when I do, I will take it to the bank and back it up.

I do hope that if a moderator is considering deleting this post that he reviews this post first:
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=133171

Was I the bad guy in that post?

MUSTANG
09-01-2012, 12:10 AM
My Grandmother came to Oklahoma and then to Texas in a covered wagon. She marveled at a life that spanned from traveling in a covered wagon to watching men walk on the moon. One of the many things I learned from this woman is the classic "You learn nothing when your mouth is moving". I was a Lurker for years before I joined.

Welcome Lurkers.

When you have seen a trail different than the one more traveled, or if you figuratively have traveled to the Moon where others have not gone; please share your knowledge.

Mustang

oldscool
09-01-2012, 01:28 AM
Here is an obscure press that will more than rival a coax. It does not have any built in slop, but it is precisely machined.[smilie=b:
http://www.hunt101.com/data/561/kmabret.jpg
It will take some large shells, 3" 8ga and 4" 4ga for reference. Even costs more, especially since it is a custom magnum model. Therefore MUCH MORE BETTER:dung_hits_fan: My opinion. If you don't agree, fine, but please don't bad mouth me.:kidding:

Bad Water Bill
09-01-2012, 02:02 AM
Thank you for sharing that photo with us.

Some of us will be looking at your collection of shotgun shells and boxes for a long time.

I have heard of my father shooting an 8 ga shotgun but NEVER have I seen one in a press or sitting along side of another legend the 4 ga.

Your post just made my MONTH.

44man
09-01-2012, 08:41 AM
Thank you for sharing that photo with us.

Some of us will be looking at your collection of shotgun shells and boxes for a long time.

I have heard of my father shooting an 8 ga shotgun but NEVER have I seen one in a press or sitting along side of another legend the 4 ga.

Your post just made my MONTH.
Too just look at the boxes in the background is jaw dropping. :-)