PDA

View Full Version : ouch powder and primer maddness

GREENCOUNTYPETE
08-28-2012, 09:55 PM
I was at the store a few weeks ago , and purchased the last of the CCI 500 small pistol primers no problem they had a shelf full of federal primers , figured i would get some when i went back today

nope only thing they had was federal small pistol match for 38 dollars the K they had about 2k wished i could have picked them up , but the powder i was there to get went up $5.70 a pound power pistol at 22.95 ouch my last pound was 17.25

i picked up a few cci 400 small rifle and was broke again

only thing i saw crazier than that was Remington UMC 9mm 115gr for 16.00 a box at farm and fleet

money sure isn't worth much any more

the only consolation is if there is any is it would cost me more in gas than the powder cost to go anywhere that might have it for less next closest place to even buy powder is a 50+ mile round trip any where that might have it for less is well over 100 miles

runfiverun
08-29-2012, 01:21 AM
i generally drive for 3 hrs one way to buy in bulk otherwise it's all overpriced 1 lb canisters.
or 100 packs of primers.
i occasionally get lucky at the place that's only 2 hrs away and can get powder [i usually call ahead to make sure they have it]

ErikO
08-29-2012, 11:01 AM
I am a lucky duck when it comes to supplies. Graff's Reloading in St Charles, MO is a short drive for me and they are stocked up just fine. They have a 'sale' on their Winchester non-Magnum primers, $27/K. They are seperate from Graff & Sons, but related somehow.

1# keg of TAC set me back $22 with tax.

I still have to get over to Hi-Tec for some pulled j-words and surplus powder for my AR Project after that pistol is built.

texassako
08-29-2012, 11:06 AM
I ran into the same problem. A big box outdoor store is only 5 minutes from the range I use, and the higher price is less than hazmat for the quantities I use. Bought the last CCI 500's they had as loose 100ct packs. The counterperson mentioned they had moved all of the primers in back, they used to keep some 100ct's out in the reloading aisle, because they had become one of the biggest theft items in the store. People were slitting the tape and dumping loose primers in their pockets and putting the now empty sleeve back on the hanger.

skipme56
08-29-2012, 11:45 AM
My wife and I were at Bass Pro in Springfield Mo the other day and they had WWLRP in stock so I bought 2000 and it cost $108.00, Wow that was about about $30 higher than I am used to paying. Talk about sticker shock!

1Shirt
08-29-2012, 05:08 PM
About 34-35.00 at local Cabella's here for 1K. About 27-28.00 at the largest gun store in Omaha.
1Shirt!:coffeecom

Moondawg
08-29-2012, 05:38 PM
The closer it gets to election time, the higher prices will go. If O gets re-elected they will go through the roof, as the hoarders strike.

EDK
08-29-2012, 06:41 PM
The closer it gets to election time, the higher prices will go. If O gets re-elected they will go through the roof, as the hoarders strike.

Four years ago, I bought my second DILLON 550B and 15 K large pistol primers and an appropriate amount of powder, in celebration of Mr. Obama's nomination.

This year has been more powder and primers plus AR15 magazines and other items likely to be on ASSAULT WEAPONS BAN II IF Mr. Obama is re-elected. (I feel more confident about the election lately, but it doesn't hurt to be prepared. High un-employment and rising gasoline prices are not helping him, BUT chicago style elections have happened in the past.)

GRAFS in St Charles is half an hour away and it is a nice day trip to drive to GRAFS in Mexico MO. PLUS several favorite restaraunts between here and there. Balance 10 gallons of gasoline versus $140 price difference on primers...AND my local shop seldom has WINCHESTER Large Pistol primers.

:redneck::cbpour::guntootsmiley:

ErikO
08-30-2012, 12:31 PM
GRAFS in St Charles is half an hour away and it is a nice day trip to drive to GRAFS in Mexico MO. PLUS several favorite restaraunts between here and there. Balance 10 gallons of gasoline versus $140 price difference on primers...AND my local shop seldom has WINCHESTER Large Pistol primers.

:redneck::cbpour::guntootsmiley:

Depending on how busy my weekend is, Graf's in St Charles might be selling a K of large pistol to me.

sparky45
08-30-2012, 12:50 PM
Well, I'm real lucky. I live within 40 miles of Powder Valley. But, I'm really, really lucky because I belong to a shooting club that offers dealer pricing on anything out of a catalog by a "well known wholesaler", and I picked up primers (SPP, CCI) for $23 and a lb of CFE 223 for $17.50. The best thing is that the shooting club stocks pwds and primers; shot and wads so all I have to do is stop by the clubhouse and pick it up.