PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane!!

Goatwhiskers
08-28-2012, 01:05 PM
For those of you that don't live close to the southern coast, let's just say life can get real interesting when one hits. I don't put 100% trust in the weatherman's "projections", but the latest one puts the eye of the storm passing a couple of miles east of my house. We have the laundry all done, plenty of fuel and food, all you can do is hope for the best and prepare for the worst. Hope we don't get too many trees down, heck, a forester was supposed to come this week to give me an estimate on some timber. Anyway, we're ready as we'll ever be. GW

Jim
08-28-2012, 01:09 PM
Been through a few doozies myself, including Hugo in '89. Be safe.

Ben
08-28-2012, 01:10 PM
We all wish you well, I'm in Alabama .....but 300 miles inland. Makes a BIG difference.

Again, we wish you the best !

Ben

41mag
08-28-2012, 01:13 PM
Take care and keep your heads down. I about lost mine to some sheeting during the middle of Ike.

You all are in our thoughts.

Tom W.
08-28-2012, 01:45 PM
I was glad to see that it wasn't heading my way, but still have compassion for those in harms way. Take care!

Rick N Bama
08-28-2012, 03:43 PM
I'm seeing a few light showers this afternoon thanks to Issac....hopefully that'll be all we get here.

Rick

captain-03
08-28-2012, 04:21 PM
Mississippi here -- 180 miles inland .. looking for some wind and rain ... possible loss of power .....

Trey45
08-28-2012, 04:40 PM
Inner banks of NC here, all we're supposed to get is a bit of wind and some rain.
I've been through many hurricanes, some bad, others not so much.

Stay safe! If a dolphin hits your house, do not go check on it to see if he's ok, this is the hurricanes way of tricking you into going outside.

bowfin
08-28-2012, 04:43 PM
I about lost mine to some sheeting during the middle of Ike.

Don't go outside. It could be a regular sheet storm out there.

Geraldo
08-28-2012, 04:52 PM
Isaac was here over the weekend. From Friday night through early Monday morning it was pretty tame. Then the weather service cancelled the storm warning for Monday and we got 10" of rain, high winds, and at least one tornado. So I understand GW's reluctance to believe the weather guessers.

Stay safe up there!

walltube
08-28-2012, 05:05 PM
Pearl River County, a bit east of Picayune, Round Rock housing tract.

It's another Chalmette Katrina Eve "anniversary celebration" for us here. Many with a house-full of family and friends that have bailed out of nearby LA low lying areas to be together.

Geaux Saints

troy_mclure
08-28-2012, 05:25 PM
For those of you that don't live close to the southern coast, let's just say life can get real interesting when one hits. I don't put 100% trust in the weatherman's "projections", but the latest one puts the eye of the storm passing a couple of miles east of my house. We have the laundry all done, plenty of fuel and food, all you can do is hope for the best and prepare for the worst. Hope we don't get too many trees down, heck, a forester was supposed to come this week to give me an estimate on some timber. Anyway, we're ready as we'll ever be. GW

It's gonna pass a few miles east of me too. We are as prepped as well as we can with no generator.

wallenba
08-28-2012, 05:29 PM
I lived on Tyndall A.F.B. Florida, 1958-1961 when I was a kid. We went through two. Neither were direct hits or classed as the biggy type. They still get your respect though.

blademasterii
08-28-2012, 05:43 PM
Speaking from my couch in Florida having just had 8 inches of rain from that storm. I must ask you if you have enough beer to last the storm, and enough ice to keep it cold. Remember you must always be prepared for the worst. Around here they restrict alcohol sales during hurricanes, and nothing is worse than running out of cold beer right in the middle of a storm.

Joking aside, stay safe and best of luck with property and transport.

Goatwhiskers
08-28-2012, 05:45 PM
Meant to say that we do have a generator. Only thing is it ain't big enough to power the A/C. Darn! GW

MtGun44
08-28-2012, 09:03 PM
Been through several, hope you are on high ground. This one is massively overhyped,
barely makes a hurricane, so winds will not be too much of a deal, but the storm surge
and rain - especially since it is moving slowly - will do damage, especially in low lying
areas.

Bill

Joe504
08-28-2012, 10:00 PM
I'm right outside of New Orleans. So far so good. I thought I was going to have a little casting party, but I forgot I had used my casting gloves to move some junk around outside to keep them from being wind missles. They got wet, and I think using them wet is a bad idea. O well.

Frank46
08-28-2012, 10:46 PM
New Iberia LA here. I'm not so worried about Issac. Got gas this morning and folks were getting mighty testy. Cutting off people waiting for their turn to get gas, honking the horn while I was filling my gas cans and truck and while at a stop sign waiting for traffic to clear so's I could make my turn. Now normally you don't see this down here (transplanted yankee) but was kinda suprised by the actions of some people. Frank

cajun shooter
08-29-2012, 07:45 AM
At 11PM on Tuesday night it was due to pass with the eye directly over my home in Livingston, La.
I 'm a Louisiana native who has been through many a storm at my age of 65.
In my teen years I was living in a old cypress board home that actually lifted off the brick piers she was built on during Hurricane Betsey.
Have always kept supplies including a 6500 watt generator and 50 gallons of fuel to use plus a 15,000 BTU window shaker as the heat in Louisiana can be unlivable without AC in August.
A note to some of my fellow members, why not post your location with your Avatar so that we know where you are located. We may be next door neighbors and never know it. Later Fairshake

high standard 40
08-29-2012, 07:58 AM
There has been mostly wind with light rain here so far. I'm located between Baton Rouge and New Orleans. It appears I will be on the east side of the eye...not the best place to be. I too have a large generator, plenty of gas, several bottles of propane, lota of food and water. So long as we don't get a tornado we should be just fine. For Gustav we were without electricity for 10 days and the generator was a life saver.

John Guedry
08-29-2012, 02:04 PM
Baton Rouge here,lotsa wind and some rain but so far not too bad. But they tell me this thing's gonna last "a while".

Frank46
08-29-2012, 11:55 PM
Still getting wind and rain. Power went off and on again quite a few times. My wife's niece lives in plaquimines (spelling I know) parish. Lost her house again. They got out with just about their clothes on their backs. Something like 20' of water. In between two levies and one got water over the top, they were supposed to open up the other one to save it?. Guess I'll find out how the rake thingy I bought for my John Deere tractor works and my yards (front and back) look like a bomb went off. Not many big branches but mostly little stuff so far. This isn't over yet. National weather service said from center to outer rain bands was 175 miles so 2+2 = 350 miles. Have gas, food,water (never thought I'd have to buy water but got 5 cases just in case they loose power) Frank

Goatwhiskers
08-30-2012, 05:32 PM
My prayers go out to those east of the storm center. We were so fortunate with this one, got a lot of work cleaning up the small limbs that blew out of the trees. One pecan tree in the pasture lost a big limb, my son had to take down one about 2ft thick during the storm to keep it from falling on his dog kennels. About 12hrs total on generator, got all services back at the moment. Thank the Lord for small favors. GW

Frank46
08-30-2012, 10:46 PM
Still here. Outside of a lot of tree branches and twigs and stuff like that we did ok. Power stayed
on all last night and still on. My heart goes out to those folks that got flooded out. Most left their homes with just the clothes on their backs. Some of the news reports with video are truly mind boggeling what with all the water and just the roofs sticking up. Frank

ErikO
08-31-2012, 01:13 PM
Issac's outer edge should be hitting here in 3-4 hours. Projections are for 6-9" of rain by Sunday.

troy_mclure
08-31-2012, 07:46 PM
Finally got our power back on.