PDA

View Full Version : Hospital stay

08-28-2012, 06:07 AM
Spent the last 2 days in the hospital, because of an irregular heartbeat. Fine now, they never did figure out what was wrong. Curious to know if anyone has had something simular.

FISH4BUGS
08-28-2012, 06:20 AM
My now 87 year old mother, who is healthy as a horse, still drives, plays bridge every day and still lives alone (by choice) in her own home, had that. At my daughter's college graduation party, she went face down in the noodles because he heart slowed down so much she passed out.
Four days worth of tests, and they concluded that she needed a pacemaker to stabilize her heartbeat. The doc said "...your heart is like a teenager's but the wiring is shot".
7 years later still going strong.
Meds can help stabilize the beat also but I think I would look at what you ate in the past 48 hours, any stuff you may have ingested and the environment you were in.
Many things can make your heart go haywire.
Good luck figuring it out.

btroj
08-28-2012, 06:27 AM
Most of the time they never know why people develop an irregular heartbeat. Medications can do much to correct it.
Be aware that some combinations of common medications can lead to irregular heartbeats of a specific type in some people.

Wal'
08-28-2012, 06:50 AM
A mate of mine just gone 60 yrs is going in to hospital Friday for day treatment ?? with a irregular heartbeat, has been on medication & almost daily blood tests for the last 3 months.

Started last year while on a cycle ride tour [organized] carted off to hospital & hit with the paddles to then stabilize his heart beat.

But he just never really fully recovered, so Friday will be an interesting day for him, I get to drive him to the hospital & back.......hopefully. :)

kenyerian
08-28-2012, 07:02 AM
I went through that a couple of years ago. Almost had to go the pacemaker route. Doc had me on a strict diet and a regular exercise program to get in better shape and I stopped working so many hours at my job. Started taking days off and spending more time with grandchildren. i think on of the best things i did at that period of time was to spend more time reloading , casting and shooting. Those activities relax me more than anything .

Bloodman14
08-28-2012, 07:07 AM
Who had the thread about cardioinversion? Windrider? As I said on that thread, my G'pa had it done and he's fine.

btroj
08-28-2012, 08:24 AM
Cardio version isn't proper therapy for all irregular heartbeats.

Best bet is to see a good cardiologist and listen to him.

rockrat
08-28-2012, 09:34 AM
You would't be taking synthetic thyroid medicine, for hypothyroidism, by chance, are you? Have you changed your dosage lately?

429421Cowboy
08-28-2012, 02:32 PM
Had it happen to me three years ago at the ripe age of 16. Was at work for two hours with it bothering me before i decided to go to my cardiologist for a emergency visit. Once there that hooked me up to the EKG machine and were able to get a "picture" of the irrigularity on paper before it corrected itself, doctor came in and said "gee you nearly made my day, we were about to zap you!". I went to Salt Lake to have the faulty circut zapped, they tried awful hard to kill me there! And they never found the actual bad circut, but i have had no problems since. Went in at 145 lbs and came out 5 days later at 125. They sent me home on twice the regular adult dose of blood pressure meds so i went to the ER for that, they told me i was lucky i didn't pass out and kill somebody on the drive in.
I have had two heart surgeries that went fine but that dang irregular heartbeat was the one that really got me! Glad you're ok, hope things turn out well for you!

geargnasher
08-28-2012, 02:53 PM
292, do you consume a lot of aspartame?

Gear

Silvercreek Farmer
08-28-2012, 03:00 PM
292, do you consume a lot of aspartame?

Gear

Or caffiene and/or "energy" supplements?

foxtrotter
08-28-2012, 03:07 PM
I had the problem, cut the caffeine way down, solved same.

Tom Ruley
08-28-2012, 03:09 PM
Back in 07 I had that, It was diagnosed as sleep apnea. After which I started using a sleep machine, and I'm doing OK

Echo
08-28-2012, 07:00 PM
Several months ago I noticed my heart skip a beat now and again. Like - Bump - Bump - - Bump - Bump - - Bump - - Bump. Made an appt w/cardiologist, and it showed on the EKG. PVC - Premature Ventricular Contraction. The ventricle was contracting before it was full of blood, so no beat. The signal was going early, easily visible on the EKG. Good signal, just too early. Cardiologist wasn't worried, so I'm not...

popper
08-29-2012, 01:10 PM
If they say it's OK, you are fine. Stress, diet, caffeine can play a part. If you start feeling funny, check your pulse. I felt funny, tired years ago, had a pulse of 200+. Actually thought I didn't have one. Got it fixed.

abunaitoo
08-30-2012, 03:09 AM
A friend just told me he had a problem with dizziness and racing heart.
Did all kinds of test. Nothing wrong except he was dehydrated.
Drinking lot more water, less soda and coffie.
He feels back to normal.
68 years old.
As you get older, gotta drink more water. Even when you don't feel thirsty.

08-30-2012, 06:08 AM
My normal heart rate is in the 50's. Saturday at the hospital it was 167. 1 strong beat then 3 little fluttery beats. No aspartame for me, can't stand the taste. I drink coffee every morning but that was 11 hours before my episode. I got bitten by a fire ant 10 minutes before symptoms started. Several doctors dismissed the bite as a cause. Through it all I felt fine, just mild chest pain for a few minutes at the start. At about 1AM the first night a nurse came in and told me I had just converted. I thought maybe I had become a Jew or even a Muslim, she meant my heart had converted back to a normal rhythm. That was good, they had talked about some not so fun ways to get it back to normal.

**oneshot**
08-30-2012, 08:39 PM
Could have been a reaction to the bite. I got bit by fireants when I was in Texas, I felt like I drank a few jolt colas for a few hours. The hospital monitored me then let me go when the symptoms subsided. I had 12 bite marks they could find, they also stated that people react different to the bites.

smokeywolf
08-30-2012, 09:37 PM
The Mrs. had a similar condition about 3 years ago. She would have the feeling that her heart was fluttering and skipping beats. She didn't feel it all the time, but most of the time. It was much more pronounced while eating. It would be so severe while eating that she would get dizzy and light headed. She wasn't at all overweight, she had been walking every day for a year; usually 4 to 6 miles each day. We stay away from the unnatural sweeteners, she was taking in almost no caffeine. She was in her mid thirties.
Doctor put her on a portable heart monitor that she would have to push a button on each time she felt her heart lose rhythm. It recorded her cardiac events for 48 hours. They had her wear the monitor twice over a period of 2 weeks. They never did find anything. They said that they were sure something was happening to her, but never could come up with what it was. When in her early teen years a doctor in Japan had prescribed nitroglycerin for an irregular heartbeat or EKG reading then.
She has had very few episodes in the past two years, but still gets dizzy sometimes when she eats spicy food.