PDA

View Full Version : What to put on Rossi '92 stock?

Silvercreek Farmer
08-27-2012, 04:53 PM
Not looking to do a full refinish, 20 hand rubbed coats, ect. I just want to wipe on a little oil to deepen the factory finish a little, so far on the list is Balistol or BLO, would one of these work or is there anything else I should consider?

Moondog
08-27-2012, 05:04 PM
I put about 5 coats of tung oil, after I removed the ugly stain that came on the carbine. Did not restain, I just put the oil on the natural stock and now it look pretty good. There was some decent looking wood under that nasty stain that came on it. I didn't see much of what you could call a finish, just ugly dark stain.

runfiverun
08-27-2012, 05:40 PM
just about any of the furniture finishes will seal and protect the wood.
i used a minwax gel on one.
and the birchwood casey refinish stuff on a couple of others,one i stained one i didn't.
the furniture finish does a nice job and comes in several colors and types of finish.

870TC
08-27-2012, 08:42 PM
Tried one of the oils first, don't remember maybe Watco Dannish oil?, anyway the outhouse brown stain Rossi used, kept coming off on my clothes when I handled or shot the gun.
I ended up refinishing mine with Birchwood Casey Walnut stain and filler, then used there Tru-Oil,
ended up looking like regular walnut.

Silvercreek Farmer
08-27-2012, 09:30 PM
Tried one of the oils first, don't remember maybe Watco Dannish oil?, anyway the outhouse brown stain Rossi used, kept coming off on my clothes when I handled or shot the gun.
I ended up refinishing mine with Birchwood Casey Walnut stain and filler, then used there Tru-Oil,
ended up looking like regular walnut.

Good to know!

HDS
08-28-2012, 12:36 AM
Yeah I tried refinish using normal BLO on my 92 and it turned out too light for my tastes. Birchwood casey stain and tru-oil was what made it look most like walnut.

Any Cal.
08-28-2012, 02:13 AM
Google Tru-Oil and Armor-All. It is what I did to mine and it looks good. Didn't work as well for me as everyone else, but is really easy to do and looks good when you're done. Took about 15-20 minutes to do 3 coats, have done 6 so far. It is supposed to get really good after 20+... I didn't take the stock off or anything, just wiped the stuff off the metal. Haven't tried it out in the rain or heat yet, but haven't had any problems in a few range trips.

ajjohns
08-28-2012, 07:58 AM
Tru oil does bring out the grain, fast, and easy. If you don't like it's shine, rub 0000 steel wool. It doesn't take much to make it dull, but the grain still shows nice.

Silvercreek Farmer
08-28-2012, 09:11 AM
How about a coat of Johnson's Paste Wax?

Silvercreek Farmer
08-29-2012, 11:04 AM
Did a search and found plenty of folks that use JPW on both their wood and steel, so I decided to give it a try last night. Took a few coats before anything really started to happen, but I was able to get it up to a medium gloss after a while. Only problem was, you could rub the wax off with your fingers, so I buffed it back down to a satin finish. It filled the open grain, made the "Rossi Brown" more of a lighter amber color, and brought out the grain some. I am pretty pleased given how easy it was. Best part was it really polished up the reciever nicely!

UBER7MM
08-29-2012, 07:48 PM
When I sanded down a part a stock, the walnut underneath was lighter. I used minwax dark walnut over the whole stock to get an even color and a Danish oil to seal the wood. Then a coat of Johnson's paste wax on both the iron and wood to finish the job. I found the JPW made the gun a bit slippery to handle. It does wear off with handling however.

Good hunting,

Silvercreek Farmer
09-26-2012, 08:33 PM
Only took me a month to get around to uploading pics but here they are!

Before:
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w92/mlindsay527/July2012021.jpg

After:

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w92/mlindsay527/July2012020.jpg

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w92/mlindsay527/July2012019.jpg

This was before I knocked the shine off, but even after a month of handling and shooting in warm weather the nice satin finish has held up well.

helice
09-27-2012, 06:06 PM
Nice job Farmer. It's always nicer to carry a rifle I've worked on. Nice job. And don't you just love them Rossi's?

Petander
12-03-2019, 12:28 PM
...anyway the outhouse brown stain Rossi used, kept coming off on my clothes when I handled or shot the gun.

Hot dang!

It's the Rossi colour of course... I've been rubbing Scherell's Schaftol stock oil on a 92 for a while,wondering why it comes off... aarghh..it's the Rossi crap colour "finish".

Rossi really didn't make much right with this rifle,did they? Well,my barrel is good but otherwise... I got mine very,very cheap,it's a warranty return. But you give this kind of guns to the enemy.

modified5
12-03-2019, 12:54 PM
How did you strip off the Rossi finish?

Petander
12-03-2019, 04:51 PM
How did you strip off the Rossi finish?

Who,me?

I did nothing to it. But when I noticed the stock was sucking water drops in I started to oil it. It never occurred to me that the original colour comes off in rain.

I'll try paint remover. Or a Boyd stock.

AlaskaMike
12-03-2019, 06:30 PM
I just did a "partial" refinish on my .44 mag Rossi 92. Mine's an older one that had a weird almost black finish which water didn't take off. It had a bunch of light scratches, so I sanded it with various grits of sandpaper and used a couple coats of Watco Teak oil. The finish is much lighter now, and it's got a really nice depth to it. It turned out the wood has some really beautiful grain to it which was hidden under that weird black stuff.

I also put a coat of Johnson Paste Wax as well, and I'm very happy with how it turned out.

superior
12-03-2019, 09:52 PM
I rub mine with ATF. Cleans and protects.

Silvercreek Farmer
12-04-2019, 01:27 PM
I've still got the rifle. Wood still looks good. I did get caught in a light rain with it. Where a raindrop hit it the finish looked lighter like it was washing off, but once it dried, it looked fine again.

Buckshot
12-06-2019, 01:49 AM
..........I have 2 Rossi leverguns and both had 'Adequate' looking wood under some kind of limp characterless finish.

http://www.fototime.com/219630625C79467/standard.jpg

38/357 Rossi .....................

http://www.fototime.com/95900A3C1D2F5E8/standard.jpg

45 Colt rifle

I just used MinWax finish from Lowes. I only have 2 Rossi specimens but from the numbers I've seen it appears to me that Rossi gets it's wood from whomever backs up to the dock.

...............Buckshot

winelover
12-06-2019, 08:44 AM
I used tung oil on mine. Way nicer than the factory finish..............

Winelover

Smoke4320
12-06-2019, 12:23 PM
..........I have 2 Rossi leverguns and both had 'Adequate' looking wood under some kind of limp characterless finish.

http://www.fototime.com/219630625C79467/standard.jpg

38/357 Rossi .....................

http://www.fototime.com/95900A3C1D2F5E8/standard.jpg

45 Colt rifle

I just used MinWax finish from Lowes. I only have 2 Rossi specimens but from the numbers I've seen it appears to me that Rossi gets it's wood from whomever backs up to the dock.

...............Buckshot

more like whatever they catch floating down the Amazon

Groo
12-06-2019, 02:01 PM
Groo here
First take damp paper towel and rub off excess stain.
then put on what you like.
I used Pledge [ used it on our airplane much good]
It will not yellow , or build up as it is self cleaning.
Just don't get it on the steel as all wax must be removed before reblue.[a real pain] ok for SS if you don't paint it.[other wise ,,, same-same]

rondog
12-07-2019, 01:13 AM
I stripped mine with Purple Power, then refinished it with medium walnut Watco Danish Oil, topped with BLO.

Groo
12-07-2019, 12:25 PM
I stripped mine with Purple Power, then refinished it with medium walnut Watco Danish Oil, topped with BLO.

Groo here
Mine turned out similar , don't you just love the way the the dull wood and brushed SS looks like an old gun with the finish worn off.!

Texas by God
12-07-2019, 03:38 PM
I have refinished 4 of the Rossi’s; two had walnut looking wood, two were more like birch or something similar. One required staining, the other owner wanted the Maple- like yellow that straight TruOil produced. “Whatever they had”- haha true.