PDA

View Full Version : Jumped the shark????

abqcaster
08-27-2012, 01:37 AM
I got myself a super duper sweet 4-cavity MiHec 359-125 mold. Its everything it was supposed to be, shiny, well made and it casts freaking awesome hollowpoints.

My conundrum is, do I really need "freaking awesome!!!" hollowpoints? I don't go varminting (maybe I will now), and as I understand it loading your own defense ammo just adds more complexity to an already complex SD sitiayshun. So, I'm wondering if I might have better spent my money on something else.

I'm finding that I really love just ladling the molten silvery mother of boolits into a nice light 2-cavity mold. It's kinda Zen-ish. I could have bought several Lee molds for the price of the MiHec. I love my 2 cav .40/10mm TC from LEE. It's a real joy. comes up to temp real fast and its light. That Mihec, beautiful as it is, is really heavy. I'm definitely getting rid of the 6-cave Lee .358 I bought. Just dunno 'bout the Mihec.

Yeah I know If I get a bottom dribbling furnace I'd make better use of the MiHec or the 6-cav Lee. But, I started casting to SAVE money. It's starting to look like a slippery slope. Decisions, decisions. . .

Thanks for letting me chew y'all's ears.
ABQcaster

Wayne Smith
08-27-2012, 07:20 AM
I know your agony. I only have three of his, and only one a four cavity. All the rest are two. They are art, too, you know. I have been ladle casting from the beginning, never invested in a bottom pour pot for exactly the same reasons.

I don't worry much about the "sitiayshun". I cast to shoot a lot and have fun. It is a way to bring my hobby home when I can't go to the range, which is about a 45 minute drive for me one way. Running 500+ rounds through my 1911 would have been next to impossible without casting and reloading for me. Not so much because of available money but because I'd be unwilling to spend that much when I can make them myself. That attitude is probably shaped by the fact that I have been reloading since age 16.

Last night I sized and decapped and recapped 250 38 and 357 cases. That's what I mean by bringing my hobby home. Casting is just part of that.

canyon-ghost
08-27-2012, 07:30 AM
I've been ladle casting for over ten years. The two cavity mold is pretty good at making good bullets. Using iron molds, I looked for something lighter. I tried some aluminum NOE molds but, only in two cavity. Bought and sold one brass mold like you describe, same reason.

Lyman single cavity hollowpoint molds will teach you just exactly how slow a hollowpoint is made, one at a time. I decided the two cav was about where I want to be. Flat points are a good combination of characteristics, kill stuff about as well as you'd want.

I've gone to buying two cavity iron molds again, not looking back.

Good Luck,
Ron

44man
08-27-2012, 08:36 AM
I would stay with the hollow points for S.D. They are also very accurate. They also work for hunting by just controlling expansion.
Yeah, I am surprising a few guys but I have always loved the HP. Only that some of my calibers makes them too destructive.
For varmints, let them go wide open! [smilie=l:
A heavy mold can limit the time casting but the results are worth it. Nothing better then a fine piece of equipment.

Blacksmith
08-27-2012, 10:06 AM
Most Mihec molds you can turn the pins around and cast flat points.

JonB_in_Glencoe
08-27-2012, 10:28 AM
A My conundrum is, do I really need "freaking awesome!!!" hollowpoints?

B I'm finding that I really love just ladling the molten silvery mother of boolits into a nice light 2-cavity mold. It's kinda Zen-ish. I could have bought several Lee molds for the price of the MiHec.

C But, I started casting to SAVE money.

A. Yes...at least one...also see B.

B. I agree, but when you get the one stubborn/krappy mold from Lee, then dig out the MiHec mold and drool !

C. that Sir, is your first mistake.

linotype
08-27-2012, 03:44 PM
There is no shame in enjoying a guilty pleasure. ;)

Bet those hollowpoints will look even better setting on top of a brass case.

abqcaster
08-27-2012, 05:28 PM
Oh, linotype. Don't you know it!!!! I immediately loaded them into some freshly polished .38spls. Lubed with NRA 50/0 + carnauba, and on top of some Win Autocomp. Can't wait to shoot some phone books!