PDA

View Full Version : Buckshot, check this out on bullet swager auto ejector

Swagerman
07-14-2005, 05:41 PM
Buckshot, we talked about this on another thread, but I finally got around to designing it and putting it together with a little help from a machinest.

The biggest surprise to me was...it works like a charm.

Bullet goes up into swaging die on the pull of the handle, bullet comes out of the die on an easy forward stroke of the handle.

It shouldn't be too hard to adapt to any make press that will do bullet swaging -- as long as one makes the ram cap to fit over the top of the ram with a locking hex screw. This would have to be custom made to one's press.

I love it when everything comes together and it works.

Jim aka Swagerman

Buckshot
07-14-2005, 07:14 PM
.............Swagerman, way cool, very excellent! I'm glad you actually made one. It was about the only way I could think of to auto eject in a reloading press. I assume the ejector punch (nose or base forming) comes up to a positive stop in the die? I wouldn't think the upper crossbar would stand the pressure.

So fill us in on the construction and operation details!

.............Buckshot

Swagerman
07-15-2005, 12:48 AM
Not much to drawing up a layout to what I wanted a machinest to make the difficult parts, which were the flat bottom plate that has what I call a press ram cap with attachment bolt in the shellholder station. The flat plate allows the shellholder to portrude through milled out hole for easy access.

The plate is centered and tac welded to the round ram cap whose diameter fits nicely over the press ram shellholder station.

On the top flat bar is the return ejector bolt that is adjustable snugged with a nut when you have it adjusted to the proper height of the ejector stem die knob.

I was going to use round support bars but decided the easist way would be to use threaded round stock for support stanchons. I can always change that out later if I grow tired of the long threaded shafts.

The best thing about it is the total ease this apperatice works in. It is actually harder to swage the bullet than to eject the bullet from the device.

And yes, the support bar makes a positive stop when bullet is fully into the swaging die, that is, there's a full stroke on the press handle.

This makes bullet swaging a whole lot better for myself, don't have to hit the swaging die with a hammer beating the hell out of it to eject the bullets.

Swagerman

Buckshot
07-16-2005, 09:03 AM
...........That's neat. I'm surprised the top bar will support the punch against swaging pressure without bending. I'll have to do one for my 45 WC swage thing. Anyway a nice clean looking deal.

..............Buckshot

slughammer
07-16-2005, 06:58 PM
...........That's neat. I'm surprised the top bar will support the punch against swaging pressure without bending.

..............Buckshot

I thought the top bar moves up and down because the whole assembly it is attached to the ram with a set screw. Kind of like a boolit sizer, but upside down.

Very nice idea and execution Swagerman.

Swagerman
07-16-2005, 11:19 PM
Thank you both for the compliments, I'm just pleased that it works so well, and Buchshot gave me the idea on another thread.

Slughammer is totally correct in his accessment that the top bar raises with the entire assembly when the bullet is being swaged.

Then when its time to eject the swaged bullet you merely push forward on the press handle and the top bar comes downward as the assembly is attached to press's side rods and the bottom bar is attached to the ram head where the shellholder is.

Its like a minny elevator...ups and downs.

It will amaze you just how easy it is.

Buckshot, when you build yours please let us see a pix. I'm sure yours will out class mine, so go ahead and make a better one.

Swagerman

Buckshot
07-17-2005, 07:02 AM
"...........Buckshot, when you build yours please let us see a pix. I'm sure yours will out class mine, so go ahead and make a better one."

HA! It might be a bit different in execution, but the design will be exactly the same, Sure don't see how it'd be 'better'. If it ejects the swaged boolits it's doing what it's supposed to be doing. That's as good as it gets in my book.

............Buckshot

Swagerman
07-17-2005, 09:54 AM
One other thing, notice how the side rods are so far apart. I felt this was necessary so I could get my big fumbling paw in there to set the bullet in place on the die punch.

Then you sort of have to slowly guide the bullet up to enter swaging die and that it isn't set at angle to ruin the bullets proportions. Once in the die its ram time.

I've exceeded my picture posting quota, so can't include a drawing with dimensions. Email me at bigcaddy@centurytel.net and I'll send you picture of the drawing.

Swagerman

Buckshot
07-24-2005, 06:55 AM
............One of the members here sent me a couple old past issues of "The Cast Bullet". One from 1998 has an article in there about bumping bullets and I'm a sonuvagun if his ejector isn't just like this. A few minor design differences but the same basic setup. I knew there couldn't be too many ways to simply accomplish the feat, but never expected to see evidence of it so soon!

And we think we're so darn smart, nyuk, nyuk!

..............Buckshot

Swagerman
07-24-2005, 09:25 AM
I sent a picture of it to Dave Davison at C-H tool & Die, told him it would work well on his big Champion press. He said he might use it but didn't want to make these gizzmo for everyones off brand presses.

Guess what, he said he has something very simular to it on his hydraulic press.

Well, anyway...we thought of it and built it ourselves...so that is something.

There's always some guy who's gonna say: been there, done that.

Next wedsday I will pick up my Lee Classic press from the machinest. It should be sporting a bullet ejector by then. At least I design the attachment brackets to the ram heads.

I'm trying to figure out a way to addapt one to my other Herter press, its a No. 3 model which is built in an open 'C' configuration. Only trouble being the shellholder goes into a little flat table and there's nothing to attach anything to it.

I also had to shorten the toggle linkage to the ram so it would cycle fully in the press's stroke. This old press has been good to make hollow base bullets while using a swag die that has a rounded ogive.

Note: The shellholder picture shows the object riding higher than it now sets flush with the flat platform since shortening the toggle link arm.

Swagerman

Buckshot
07-25-2005, 07:19 AM
"...............I'm trying to figure out a way to addapt one to my other Herter press, its a No. 3 model which is built in an open 'C' configuration. Only trouble being the shellholder goes into a little flat table and there's nothing to attach anything to it."

I can't tell from the photo if the edge of the table would interfer or not, but there is only one way I can see to make it happen. There may be another issue also. But what I think is to utilize the rod the handle swings on. I don't know if the rod is capured in the frame and the handle rotates on it, or vise versa.

I think if the rod were captured in the handle (hole and taper pin) and rotated in the frame, you could replace it with a longer rod so it would extend some distance beyond the frame on either side. Attach an arm having a coller, to the rod (pinned through the coller) to act as levers. They should be as short as possible to minimize their rotaional arc.

On the end of each lever drill a hole for rods (rod ends bent into a sharp 'L' to go into the hole in each lever) extending upwards to the crossbar. Since it is tilted backwards you might need a guideplate. I'd think a piece of aluminum maybe 1/8" thick captured between the die and the press would work. It would have arms out either side with a hole or slot for the crossbar rods to stick up through as guides.

The levers opperating off the handle pivit rod would only need to be as long as the fulcrum distance, which is that length from the handle pivit rod to the connection on the ram. This would cause them to raise and lower the same distance as the ram.

.............Buckshot

Swagerman
07-25-2005, 07:59 AM
Buckshot, there comes a time when words fail me. I think I need a drawing from you if you can manage it.

When you say 'Rods' are you talking about the ram piston that moves up and down in the press? I've always refered to it as ram or press piston...am I wrong in this.

The rod, ram, or piston has link pin at its base. This is part of a short bar of metal that acts as a link to the handle where another pin attaches there. Most of this is inside of te press's lower region.

But I would tell you that the ram had to be lowered in its hole in the press so the handle could be pulled full stroke to swage a bullet. In other words I had to shorten the toggle linkage bar a 1/2 inch to achieave that. So, making the ram set higher is not a good option for me.

I made a rough coller cup affair that can slip over the shellholder but it is extremely thin walled to still be able to slide down into the press's hole frame...and doubt it will serve as is. This cup attachment will have a 3/8" X 6" flat bar tack welded to it...and will have large hole for the above swage die to reach into as needed on its upward travel.

What might work is to have the press's ram hole at the top be milled out 1/8 inch larger diameter by 1/2 inch deep, thus making it so there could be a thicker coller attachment. This would allow longer screws to be utilized to attach the coller to the shellholder by two hex screws.

This will also require that the shellholders be interchangable and have two holes drilled into them for hex screws to attach the coller affair in place.

However, this work is beyond my capabilities as I have no milling machine, so will have to consult my machinest about it.

Swagerman

barryjyoung
06-14-2009, 10:12 AM
Everybody else must have got to this thread when there was still pictures. I don't see any.

Barry

deltaenterprizes
06-14-2009, 12:52 PM
Same here!

BT Sniper
06-14-2009, 03:05 PM
4 year old thread. pictures are deleted by members to make way for posting new pictures.

scrapcan
06-30-2009, 03:39 PM
Swagerman (Jim) also passed away in 2008.

shooterg
06-30-2009, 08:28 PM
Dang. Wished they'd made those pics part of an archive.

scrapcan
07-02-2009, 12:40 PM
something similar to what Jim had on his pres can be seen in the following threads.

First is a set of scanned instructions from Beihler and Aistles swaging dies
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=34987

Next is a picture of the b&A eject in pictures posted by another member of dies he purchased fro 22 and 6mm
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=54743

Hope that helps a bit.

jixxerbill
06-04-2011, 04:54 PM
yeah too bad the pics are gone ..wow post was started in 2005 ?? huh....imagine that .. long before some of us even joined this site !!

Red River Rick
06-04-2011, 05:00 PM
Edited

Red River Rick
06-04-2011, 05:33 PM
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Buckshot
06-12-2011, 01:17 AM
..............If I'm not mistaken this thread originated in "Special Projects" as at the time there was NO swaging forum. Seems like it was a lot longer then just 6 years ago :-)

................Buckshot