PDA

View Full Version : New to the site, but not to Black Powder

Smithy
08-26-2012, 06:04 AM
As the title suggests, I'm a newbie to this site, but not to black powder, nor firearms. Although I grew up in a firearm void household I had my share of slingshots, bb guns, and a bow and arrow set up once. As soon as I turned 18 I bought my first long arm (a Winchester model 37a), then as soon as I turned 21 I bought two handguns, a Ruger Security Six 357 and a Ruger Redhawk in 44 mag. It's been downhill ever since. I've gone through fazes with firearms and had a quite lengthy one involving black powder. I've owned a number of dragoon copies and my longarms all seemed to be 58 caliber. During this time I of course was dirt poor, I relied on picking the target area for lead to melt and cast my own. Later on I moved up to Old Armies and actually started SASS with a pair converted to 45LC and shooting black. I shot in the Frontier Cartridge class and had a blast as short a run as it was.

I got invited to this site by ClassicCannons in his poll to start a Cannon and Mortar section here. That's where my current interests lie as I don't get to shoot near as often as I'd like with 35 years of diabetes taking their toll. So I can buy and build various cannons and mortars, having fun in their creation and collection without having to shoot, but come my birthday (fourth of July), they can hear me all across the county. ClassicCannons is currently making me a Thunder Mug with a golf ball bore and Heavy Duty construction. I asked for a stainless one, but I think I'm going to end up with steel as acquiring the necessary stainless seems to present a problem.

I got a lot of firearms info tucked into this 52 year old noggin and hopefully I can be of some help here at this site. (or at least tell folks what NOT to do as I in my naive youth did). I've cast, lubed, and loaded just about anything you can think of. Even once had a gas fired 175 pound pot to manage my collection of over 2000 pounds of lead. (probably why my back is now out). That pot was a nifty idea and the manufacturer was getting a company to commit to making specific molds for it as it could be had with six nozzles so from a production point of view it would have been awesome. Nozzle's kept clogging up and he had to add additional burners to keep them open. I also use to make my own lead shot, sabot slugs (before that was even heard of) and various other semi sane things.

It's a pleasure to be here, and I hope to correspond with you all in the future. Smithy.

Nobade
08-26-2012, 08:14 AM
Welcome to the site! I'm sure you'll have fun talking about guns here. Are you shooting scale models or full size cannon? We used to have a cannon company here but I haven't heard from them in some time.

Nice looking dulcimer, BTW. Did you make it?

wcp4570
08-26-2012, 09:18 AM
Smithy
Welcome to the site. There is a lot of knowledge on this site an it is a great group of members. I've been a member here for a long time and still enjoy reading about all aspects of shooting, casting and reloading. If you like to chat about your hobby, you have joined the right community.

I lived in your home town back in 1973 to 76 while stationed at Castle AFB, I bet that it has changed a lot since then. That area was a great place to live because it offered so many things to do. I spent many hours hunting , fishing and camping while living there.

wcp

Smithy
08-26-2012, 11:46 AM
Thanks for the welcome guys. The dulcimer is a Probst baritone. Rick the maker comes from a family of guitar makers and you see that influence in this dulcimer and its finish.

Yes, Castle is nothing like its former days. Except for a few Historically placed aircraft, you'd never know it use to be a base. I see my doctor out there. There running the airport as a commercial business, but missed out on their chance to have it be a major UPS shipping hub. Most of the base housing has been renovated and sold as remake homes. Again thank you for your welcomes. Smithy.

mooman76
08-26-2012, 02:39 PM
Welcome. A friend of mine was there when they closed and stayed on to work there for awhile longer but finally moved not too far from San Francisco.

izzyjoe
08-26-2012, 03:43 PM
welcome to the site, it sound's like you been having fun. you'll enjoy it here, there are some good people on this site. :D