PDA

View Full Version : American hoggers

NSP64
08-25-2012, 11:56 PM
I started watching this show, and the daughter got mad because her brother shot a big pig. She said if they had taken it alive they could have gotten $600-700. For it. Since he had shot it, their dad got to cook it (or attempt to). ?
It is based in Texas.

So, why would it be worth money alive, but not dead?
Seems they take all of them alive?

oneokie
08-26-2012, 12:03 AM
They would either put it in a small fenced area for a paid hunt or sell it to a game ranch for the same purpose.

NSP64
08-26-2012, 12:07 AM
It dont seem right.
if the hogs are such a problem, why should they be allowed to take them alive.

oneokie
08-26-2012, 12:16 AM
Money

WILCO
08-26-2012, 12:23 AM
Money

Makes the world go round........:Fire:

Bad Water Bill
08-26-2012, 06:18 AM
I read of folks having MAJOR problems with critters damaging their land. When you VOLUNTEER to help rid them of their EXPENSIVE crop or animal damaging pests suddenly these same critters are very valuable and can only be harvested after YOU PAY them to help solve THEIR problem.:evil:

bob208
08-26-2012, 07:14 AM
bill i have run into that thinking too. i just don't bother to help any more.

BossHoss
08-26-2012, 07:44 AM
Bill, that is how the prairie dog hunt progressed. Early on it was free to come and eradicate the pests that burrowed holes and broke the legs of the cattle.

Then, it be came a "paid for" sport at the same ranches.

To be fair, some farmers started putting up the hunters, shooting shelters, food water, ....so they started charging. Others did nothing, but still wanted 50 bucks to setup on the field lines.

Money.

Pigs....we have had a couple of sightings in the Northwoods, rare. Not the same problem as other southern states have, yet. Whew.

Got a cougar on cam last week in the Northwoods though....very scary looking into the cam.

jabo52521
08-26-2012, 07:54 AM
Down here in south Texas pigs are a serious pest and dangerous. But like Bob208 says I dont even try. Charge me to help them? Aint gonna happen.

NSP64
08-26-2012, 08:40 AM
I agree.
If anything they should be paying us.

In the rich neighborhoods of west St Louis they have a problem with deer eating all their expensive landscaping. They asked for bow hunters to come help them out. Then they wanted to put all kinds of demands on how you killed the deer.

They still have a deer problem. Lol

Chihuahua Floyd
08-26-2012, 08:45 AM
On "Reality TV" its all about the drama. None of the shows are about hunting, hog removal, or guns. Its all about the drama!
I got enough of that stuff without watching more.
CF

btroj
08-26-2012, 08:57 AM
I am wih you Floyd. It is all about about of morons and drama. Sort of a guys version of Jersey Shore if you ask me. Not interested.

Freightman
08-26-2012, 09:01 AM
I was working in a archery/gun shop and a customer came in and was gripping about the hogs eating his peanut crop I said I wouldn't mind shooting some for you. He said $100 per hog! I replied when the hogs eat your dog of your front pouch call I do not intend to help you out and have to pay for the privilege!!!!

2ndAmendmentNut
08-26-2012, 09:10 AM
There was a market about four years ago close to where I live that would buy wild hogs of any size and shape as long as they where alive. No idea what they did with them, but rumor said they packaged them up and sold the meat to China. I remember when they quit buying hogs because a guy showed up with an 18 wheeler rig full of hogs. When they said there was no market for them the truck driver was so hacked that he drove down the street a ways and turned them all loose...

NSP64
08-26-2012, 09:48 AM
I wouldn't mind helping them out and letting them keep othe hogs, but to pay for the right to help them out?
I don't think so.

2ndAmendmentNut
08-26-2012, 11:34 AM
Yep same here... Anyone and everyone in my area complains about hogs, but very few will let anyone come and hunt them. I know a few ranchers that did let guys hunt them, but the trigger happy fools will shoot at anything that shines out there in the dark including deer and stock. I am close enough with a few ranchers and they will let me and only me come hunt them.

Firebricker
08-26-2012, 02:07 PM
I think Floyd,s got it right. It could be in interesting show if they cut out the drama ****. I was interested in watching them deal with the hogs but could not care less about two spoiled kids not playing well together. And also suspect much of the "rivalry" is encouraged or fabricated by producers.
FB

2ndAmendmentNut
08-26-2012, 05:15 PM
Since he had shot it, their dad got to cook it (or attempt to.)

Most (including myself) have found the "big" hogs to be inedible.

10 ga
08-26-2012, 10:34 PM
I live in a rural area and trap. Often get the call, "I have some beavers, or whatever", when I respond that it's $.25 mile and $75 for 1st day and then we can decide what the charges will be depending on how many visits and how many beavers..... the response is usually "don't you sell them?" and when I say, they ain't worth skinning, they seem puzzled. I usually follow with an economics lesson and all goes well or we part company. LOL, Bob don't serve no free lunch to wealthy folks! I've had surgeons and car dealership owners try to get a "better deal" but I'm gettin back in their pockets or no deal! LOL, retired life can be so much fun and I'm makin it easier for the next guy to get the $ they deserve for some hard **** work. 10 ga

Thumbcocker
08-27-2012, 04:26 PM
I really enjoy the dramatic way Krystal and her friend wrestle them hogs. They both have their own revolvers too.

x101airborne
08-27-2012, 06:17 PM
We have a seasonal hog problem. And since occasionally someone wants to hunt that couldn't hit a lake from the bottom, I have to be there at least on the property while someone is hunting. If I have to be there, you are going to use my land, you are going to pay me. If it is so trivial to have the responsibility of hosting hunters, why dont more people buy land and sell hunts? I can tell you why you will pay... SOME people cannot be trusted to not destroy property or do something illegal wich I am responsible for and everyone has to pay to make up the difference. End of story.
And to be clear, I am not talking about anyone from this forum. I have nothing but respect for everyone who hunted with me this year and will only offer hunts to members of this forum. Everyone who hunted with me was a clear marksman, woodsman, and gentleman. If anything, I was the beligerent person of the group, but that is the way I am. I could tell you horror stories of hosting some other "locals" here.

Firebricker
08-27-2012, 06:41 PM
airborne, We run in to a similar situation up here. There is plenty of deer but a lot of land owners have had horrible experience,s with letting people hunt their property. Most often they'll give one or two people permission then find twenty guys on their land. You can't be too careful about who you let on property. FB

Crawdaddy
08-28-2012, 12:52 PM
One of the members on my lease is a neighbor of the old man. Said the family is very interesting to say the least.

Why did she get mad? probably wasnt. Dramatization for the audience.

bowfin
08-28-2012, 04:39 PM
On "Reality TV" its all about the drama

Agreed. I don't have a televison hooked up, but on a visit to my brother's house, he was watching some gun shop show. The owner had to slick up a S&W revolver while being timed in order to sell it to Smith & Wesson's custom shop.

So who in their right mind is going to pay extra money to the Smith & Wesson Custom shop to get a gun whose main claim to fame was that it was "built real fast"? That market niche is already being filled by wartime Moisin Nagants.

Well anyhow, that was enough TV for the summer...

popper
08-29-2012, 04:50 PM
Got to have something to entertain the droids and zombies of the world.

longhorn
08-29-2012, 07:16 PM
The Campbell family lives about 30 miles from me; I don't know 'em, but friends do. Don't take anything you see or hear on that show as reality!

blackthorn
08-30-2012, 12:25 PM
Watched it last night. One episode has the old man's truck on fire with ammunition cooking off and ricocheting (sp?) around. It's entertaining to a degree with some nice scenery and good looking dogs.

captain-03
08-30-2012, 12:43 PM
Here is Mississippi it is illegal to transport live wild hogs without a permit from Fish & Game .... they do NOT want them transplanted to other parts of the state .... very few hunting restrictions in place on them ... ....

The Double D
08-30-2012, 04:37 PM
Watched them try to shoot hogs last night. Now I know why they use dogs to catch....they can not shoot.

375supermag
08-30-2012, 09:09 PM
Watched them try to shoot hogs last night. Now I know why they use dogs to catch....they can not shoot.

I saw an ad for that show and started to watch it last night. I turned it off when they were slinging rifle bullets all over a field trying to hit a hog at what they said was 200 yards. Most of the shots never even came close at the end of the barrage, off ran the hog.

Pretty pi$$ poor marksmanship in my mind.

I won't be watching again.