PDA

View Full Version : Need ideas for my .458 win mag

wonderwolf
05-15-2007, 11:44 PM
I got my .458 winchester magnum about a year ago..I have about 300 pcs of new brass left for it along with about 200 rounds of 510gr factory soft point (winchester)...(I came across a screaming good deal, I'm not rich in any way) Its on a Rem 700 action now fitted with a scout guide rear peep sight and the original front sight of which I would like to get a few additional blanks so I could make up some dif heights for various ranges.

I have shot some 510 gr GC cast out of a lee mold but not to many...just enough to realize I was not pushing them fast enough and kinda gave up on them.

I need some recommendations on cast bullets for my beloved "Elephant rifle". I have shot about 100 rounds of factory through it since getting it and taken many ground hogs with it as well. I want to stay away from the GC molds and these might also be shot in my NEF 1871 45-70 as well.

I'm thinking the 405gr RNFP was a good all around weight and design for my "Plinker rifle" application..Thoughts?

:brokenima

45nut
05-16-2007, 12:16 AM
Yeap,, the 400gr is the classic,,over a dose of 2400 is my plinker special. I use the 400gr for a plinker in my 45-70's,458x2,458Win and 458 Lott.

Iceman
05-16-2007, 09:29 AM
What you have in the .458 is basically a belted .45-90! Find and use old loading data for the .45-90, taking into account the faster rifling twist of the .458, and have lostsa fun! My favoutite powder for black powder ctgs. is SR 4759, if you can find some. NO filler is necessary with it. Lyman 457193, 420grs in soft alloy, should work really well with SR 4759 in your .458. Let us know if you try it.

Iceman

"History is just one damned thing after another."
Sir Winston Churchill

StrawHat
05-16-2007, 11:01 AM
When I had a 458 I treated just like a belted 45-90.

+/- 80 grains of FFFg powder, card wad, lube wad and lubed bullet.

Made a beautiful noise and a cloud of smoke. Everyone on the range wanted to shoot it.

If I still had it I would modify my loading technique to produce better, cleaner, and more accurate loads.

I would also try everything from round ball (or balls) to the 500+ grainers.

Good luck

Bass Ackward
05-16-2007, 11:23 AM
I'm thinking the 405gr RNFP was a good all around weight and design for my "Plinker rifle" application..Thoughts?:brokenima

WW,

In this world we can dream about what we can be, but in the end, you have to live with the gifts you were given.

What you want to do with that 458 is most likely going to be dictated by your throat configuration. If it takes 550 grains of length to reach the promised land, well ............

wonderwolf
05-16-2007, 12:02 PM
WW,

In this world we can dream about what we can be, but in the end, you have to live with the gifts you were given.

What you want to do with that 458 is most likely going to be dictated by your throat configuration. If it takes 550 grains of length to reach the promised land, well ............

I'm confused by that? Are you saying I should use long bullet so it has less jump? The throat is a very interesting looking thing on this rifle to say the least and it might not be set up well at all for CB's

Bullshop
05-16-2007, 12:14 PM
For the same reason (long throat) paper patch works good. In a conventional design the 525gn RCBS FNGC is one of the few with long enough parrilell sides to reach the lands and still have enough boolit in the case for some alignment. You just have to live with several greese grooves out of the case.
BIC/BS

mstarling
05-16-2007, 12:16 PM
A friend and I use a 425 gr GCFP cast in WW from a Ballisti-Cast mold sized to .459" in .45-70, .458 Lott, and .458 AR. Carnauba Red was used as the lubricant. Rick reports for his 45-70 "probably a max load of AR 4015BR 1,600-1,700fps. The six shots I used for final load development went into one big rat hole at 50 yards."

He's also used nearly standard charges for jacketed bullets in the .458 Lott with excellent results.

I use 5744 to achieve in excess of 2000 fps in the .458 AR giving excellent results with moderate recoil.

Bass Ackward
05-16-2007, 12:37 PM
I'm confused by that? Are you saying I should use long bullet so it has less jump? The throat is a very interesting looking thing on this rifle to say the least and it might not be set up well at all for CB's

WW,

Basically, the throat design is the dictator. 458s can be anywhere in the spectrum from a taper at the end of the case to a ball seat of some configuration. Possibly because every one's idea of 100% flawless chambering took precedence over accuracy. :grin: Fear is a great motivator!

The only two options I have ever had .... consistent success (with PB in particular) was seating into the lands for alignment or filling the ball seat of the throat so that it is guided straight until it gets there. Most of the time with PB, it is a combination of both.

What does your throat look like? Will you get the kind of diameter you need from a factory Lee mold? I just wanted you to be aware that your desires may not be realized and if they aren't why.

Often there are customs design runs in the Group Buys section that may be more appropriate. But you are never going to know the answer for sure unless you slug it or try it. On the other hand, that is a popular mold that can always be sold if it doesn't work out.