PDA

View Full Version : .45 Cast Bullet Recipe?

dmclark523
08-25-2012, 09:58 PM
Hello all! This is my first post on here, and if this is in the wrong place, I'm real sorry.

I am currently just getting into the whole casting process here. I have been reloading for a time and have always been interested in casting, but just barely decided to do it.
Anyway, I have about 300+ pds of cast lead ready to be boiled down into bars, and all my equipment in the mail and going to be here in several days.(re-sizing dies, lube, flux agent, 20pd 220v Lee pot, mold, lead thermometer, and all the other goodies).

Keeping in mind that I am using a .45 ACP 230gn mold, as seen here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/280944967390?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_1584wt_1584

My normal recipe is 5.4gn Accurate No2 along with a 230gn Rainier RN Leadsafe bullet.
Since I am using a 230gn cast bullet, is it safe to use 5.4gn of my powder? Or should I switch to a different powder for casting rounds?

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks guys!

geargnasher
08-25-2012, 11:00 PM
Welcome to the nuthouse! Please don't take it the wrong way, but it sounds to me like you forgot one of the most important "goodies" a person needs when embarking into this fascinating hobby: A good reloading manual with cast boolit loads!

Loading cast is a bit different from even the plated stuff, so work up a new load from starting loads every time you make a major change, such as projectile design or type. There is a TON of good, published .45 ACP 230-grain cast lead boolit load data, and if you don't have any books with cast loads in them, you should really fix that problem ASAP and verify any advice regarding data you get on the internet.

Oh, and don't think you're going to save any money casting your own......you won't, but you'll get to shoot about ten times more and have the satisfaction of rolling your own.

Keep us updated on your progress,

Gear

runfiverun
08-25-2012, 11:07 PM
follow the advice of lubing/drying/sizing if needed/and another coat of lube.
and let your cast boolits sit for about 10 days before running out to shoot tem.

the advice gear gave to back the powder down [at least a half grain] and work back up, is exactly what i was thinking when reading your post.

dmclark523
08-25-2012, 11:09 PM
No offense taken at all. I guess in all the bustle to get my equipment, I didnt even consider a cast manual. Do you have any suggestions for quality recipe books? Maybe something specifically for cast?
I'd still be interested to hear if people have recipes they use for .45 230gn...

wv109323
08-25-2012, 11:10 PM
I have not used Accurate No. 2 but I referred to my Accurate Load data. The data for .45 ACP calls for a maximum load of 5.6 with a 230 gn. bullet for 870 FPS.
I would guestimate that 5.4 gn would be around 835 FPS. Military ball ammo with a 230gn bullet is 825 FPS. With that said you are near maximum for that bullet.
I would drop back to 5 gn. and try a few rounds. The unknowns are the lead alloy(hardness) and the bullet lube. The harder you push the bullet the more likely you are to get leading and loose accuracy.

wv109323
08-25-2012, 11:16 PM
Some old recipes for "Hillbilly Hardball" using the 230 gr. bullet are
4.8 to 5.0 gn. of Bullseye
5.0 to 5.5 gn. of WW231.

08-25-2012, 11:32 PM
"Do you have any suggestions for quality recipe books? Maybe something specifically for cast?"

Yep, Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook, 3rd and 4th editions.

RobS
08-25-2012, 11:44 PM
Welcome aboard! You started out on one of the very best calibers for casting boolits. As another means of load data you can always look at the online data resourse from each manufacture's sites in addition to the reloading manuals. 5.4 grains of AA#2 will be fine providing bullet fit is good.

AA online PDF manual:

http://www.accuratepowder.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/accurate_load_data_3.5.pdf

This is also a great read to start with too:

http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_Contents.htm

dbarnhart
08-26-2012, 09:11 PM
Welcome. You are where I was a year ago (and so please feel free to pm/email me if you want some help/advice).

.45acp is just about the most forgiving caliber around when it comes to casting so it's hard to get it wrong. Those bullets will need lubed, and fine lube grooves mean they are designed to be tumble-lubed. Get the Lee Bullet Lube SIze kit shown here:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/116429/lee-bullet-lube-and-size-kit-452-diameter

I've never used Accurate powders. I've always used Unique for .45acp and found that 5.5gr - 5.9gr works well with every 230gr projectile I've tried.

Wayne Smith
08-27-2012, 08:08 AM
Welcome. You are where I was a year ago (and so please feel free to pm/email me if you want some help/advice).

.45acp is just about the most forgiving caliber around when it comes to casting so it's hard to get it wrong. Those bullets will need lubed, and fine lube grooves mean they are designed to be tumble-lubed. Get the Lee Bullet Lube SIze kit shown here:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/116429/lee-bullet-lube-and-size-kit-452-diameter

I've never used Accurate powders. I've always used Unique for .45acp and found that 5.5gr - 5.9gr works well with every 230gr projectile I've tried.

Let me restate one thing. It is always easy to get it wrong! I know, I have done it dozens of times! The advantage of the low pressure rounds, .45 and .38 especially, is that it is easy to recover when you do make a mistake.